Invision needs to be smarter with mobile

MSUKForum

I've had an IPB forum for 15+ years, the largest community in Europe of its niche, 45,000 members, 2million+ posts thousands active daily in its peak.

This was awesome in the desktop era but my forum has taken a decline and I'm not going to point fingers at social media here because I feel I can genuinely compete against them. It's the mobile compatibility that's killing my community.

All these new features are great, Invision as a company is at its prime right now, I love the updates, the new features, the support and the articles! Please keep this up! 🙂

However, 70% of my visitors are on their damn mobiles. I know the struggle of mobile systems reducing what you can see on a screen and the functionality... but Invision, you need to be smarter! All these new features don't get a ray of light on your mobile theme. What's the point of gamification, post counts, promoted content, subscriptions, rank/member group promotions etc if members don't see or easily access them? 😞 

It just acts as a guest book forum from early 2000. You see posts and you make posts.

As I already said, you are pumping out some fantastic features but only to the minority of my audience and I can't be the only one who has similar usage figures on mobile platforms?

I'm going to think of some suggestions on improving this and post later but for now, food for thought. Thank-you. 🙂

So what exactly is the problem with Invision Community on mobile? You haven’t provided a single example of what needs improvement.

I am reading and replying to this from a McDonalds booth using an old smartphone. Not having any problems.

Or is the only point that mobile usage is increasing. I’m sure IPS knows that.

Posting and reading posts is fine, as I mentioned it's no different to forums 10 years ago.

It's accessing advanced features which is not, I list a few in my 4th paragraph.

Please take the time to read my post and discuss rather than jump into a semi aggressive "you're wrong" attitude. I'm trying to improve a product we pay for.

I think he’s saying the mobile experience feels like more of an afterthought than the star of the show. 

Heavy emphasis is placed into the desktop experience while 90% of folks never see what this has to offer because they don’t step off mobile even once. 

I see where he’s coming from. I get complaints all the time from my users (60k+) regarding mobile. 

Its really incontrovertible that this experience is truly designed for desktop and made to also function with mobile instead of the other way around. 

28 minutes ago, nicksource said:

It's accessing advanced features which is not

How so? How should it work instead? Be specific or it won’t be “actionable feedback”. Hyperbole like “it’s like a guestbook” won’t improve anything. That’s why asked for clarification.Just because I didn’t post “I agree” doesn’t mean that I’m passive-agressive, or hold some kind of opposite opinion, which would justify this “you’re wrong” comment. 

In my opinion the main issue is the very reduced size of a mobile phone. I guess you will never get a really satisfying user experience like you have on a desktop computer. But there might be some space for improvement on mobile devices for sure.

Just as an example, in page content, if you have comments and reviews enabled there is only a small arrow indicating that you can press the button to switch to reviews or comments view.

mobile.jpg.69dbdd4bee008467b309cd78ab4b6c06.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In Facebook, IG etc you can easily post a topic and read messages. With Invision it is difficult. People don’t know how to post a topic or where they can find new messages. They don’t want to learn and find correct buttons. This problem is daily.

There should be Facebook look like post feed. Box for new messages and with one click you should see replies.

Admin or moderators should later move topics to correct categories and forums if they want to do that.

This feature should be optional. 

Right now reading my forum is too difficult. People will just skip it and ask their guestion in Facebook group. Much easier and much faster.

22 minutes ago, Sebbo78 said:

In Facebook, IG etc you can easily post a topic and read messages. With Invision it is difficult. People don’t know how to post a topic or where they can find new messages. They don’t want to learn and find correct buttons ....

Those people are simpletons, and I wouldn't want them on my forum. 

17 hours ago, Sebbo78 said:

In Facebook, IG etc you can easily post a topic and read messages. With Invision it is difficult. People don’t know how to post a topic or where they can find new messages. They don’t want to learn and find correct buttons. This problem is daily.

There should be Facebook look like post feed. Box for new messages and with one click you should see replies.

Admin or moderators should later move topics to correct categories and forums if they want to do that.

This feature should be optional. 

Right now reading my forum is too difficult. People will just skip it and ask their guestion in Facebook group. Much easier and much faster.

Exactly this.

On 9/8/2018 at 3:33 AM, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

here is the solution:

Well I hope so!

Have IPB mentioned the future for mobile support?

Archived