Database Record Help

joshuaj

Hey Guys/Gals!

I've set up a forum where the post come from a record creation. Ideally, I'd like to set it up so that a user can't post directly in this forum - but if they want to make a post in the forum they need to create a record that automatically creates the post. Is there a way to accomplish this with a conditional?

I was thinking I could set up a conditional to change the "Post a New Thread" button url to the create a new record url. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it is kind of a work around. I'm not having any luck searching in these forums for the conditional that says {{if this forum}} some html {{else}} some html {{endif}}

Also, is there a way to limit the number of records allowed per user? Is this editable in the group settings or the database settings?

On 8/21/2018 at 9:12 PM, joshuaj said:

I was thinking I could set up a conditional to change the "Post a New Thread" button url to the create a new record url. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it is kind of a work around. I'm not having any luck searching in these forums for the conditional that says {{if this forum}} some html {{else}} some html {{endif

I think your strategy is sound.  You would simply disable posting permission for all membergroups so they can't post, but they can click on the post button that redirects them to the pages record.  

An alternate strategy, and I know this the dumb low-tech way, is to simply set up a redirect forum that just redirects users to the actual pages database.  I don't really see the point of keeping a forum that's a duplicate of a pages database.  

On 8/21/2018 at 9:12 PM, joshuaj said:

is there a way to limit the number of records allowed per user? Is this editable in the group settings or the database settings

No

This might be accomplished using third party mods, including Automation Rules where you can create a custom counter that tracks how many records a user submits until their limit.  

21 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I think your strategy is sound.  You would simply disable posting permission for all membergroups so they can't post, but they can click on the post button that redirects them to the pages record.  

An alternate strategy, and I know this the dumb low-tech way, is to simply set up a redirect forum that just redirects users to the actual pages database.  I don't really see the point of keeping a forum that's a duplicate of a pages database.  

Thanks Joel, I appreciate the feedback. I remember ages ago someone had made a post with a list of template conditionals - I can't seem to find that post when I do a search. I wanted to use it for reference when I make my conditional in my template.

I might end up just doing a redirect link as you suggested.

Archived