How to setup Elasticsearch external server service

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/7/2018 at 9:49 PM, Christforums said:

I tried inputting the elasticsearch server url but it says cannot connect

Same here. It appears the elasticsearch server has username and password requirement. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to set that in the AdminCP.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2018 at 6:49 AM, Christforums said:

Elasticsearch is offering a 14 day trial. How do I configure my IPS4 site?

I tried inputting the elasticsearch server url but it says cannot connect. Would be nice for some detailed instructions on how to take advantage of this trial period.

https://www.elastic.co/cloud/elasticsearch-service/signup

Hello, @Christforums, @Lava Guy and @Dolphin. Do you configure ES external service? How did you finally?

I want to test free trial version in my forum.

10 hours ago, pequeno said:

Hello, @Christforums, @Lava Guy and @Dolphin. Do you configure ES external service? How did you finally?

I want to test free trial version in my forum.

No I didn't. To be frank the little response to this thread in way of support deterred me from even trying in case some future problem should surface.

17 hours ago, Christforums said:

No I didn't. To be frank the little response to this thread in way of support deterred me from even trying in case some future problem should surface.

But this isn't an official support channel, so you shouldn't be expecting any responses anyways.  

Send in a ticket if you're attempting to set up ES.  

3 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Yes, it was very expensive and I did not see a good ROI on it. I'm not convinced elastic search is a game changer for me. regular database search seems fine.

Hello, I finally configure a domain in Amazon ES. I think it's not an expensive service. I will confirm it with the cost at the end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on this? I am considering using it for my forum. My understanding is that this improves the search capabilities of the forum. What are the other benefits? I've seen some documentation that suggests that ElasticSearch can be used for BI and analytics. Has one used it that way? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 7:23 PM, pequeno said:

Hello, I finally configure a domain in Amazon ES. I think it's not an expensive service. I will confirm it with the cost at the end of the month.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, ProSkill said:

Any updates on this? I am considering using it for my forum. My understanding is that this improves the search capabilities of the forum. What are the other benefits? I've seen some documentation that suggests that ElasticSearch can be used for BI and analytics. Has one used it that way? 

Hello, After testing it for a month, it worked correctly, and the cost of less than $ 3.

I used the most basic ES service. These are the data to give you an idea.

elasticsearchcost.thumb.png.a125362ba83ebfe3a5827e8d655e2b72.png

elasticsearchcost1.png.5ed40ddf9641343c535ecdefaa7378c9.png

elasticsearchcost2.png.0399e2a8436f5b83a509d24cd725e2e2.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, AlexWebsites said:

Amazon has a free tier I am looking at trying out.

I recently set up Elasticsearch through Amazon. No problems. 

Question, can Elasticsearch be set up to spell correct or to offer phrase suggestions etc?

If so has anyone already done this and can you offer a way to implement it on our IPS software?

On 2/1/2019 at 1:52 AM, pequeno said:

Hello, After testing it for a month, it worked correctly, and the cost of less than $ 3.

I used the most basic ES service. These are the data to give you an idea.

elasticsearchcost.thumb.png.a125362ba83ebfe3a5827e8d655e2b72.png

elasticsearchcost1.png.5ed40ddf9641343c535ecdefaa7378c9.png

elasticsearchcost2.png.0399e2a8436f5b83a509d24cd725e2e2.png

Your number of instances is set to 1 when by default they are set to 3? What should I look for if I reduce down from 3 to 1? Is there a performance hit etc from reducing the number of instances?

By default the Instance type from Amazon was set up as m4.large.elasticsearch. My bill quickly hit $70.00 for just a couple of days of use. Now trying the t2.small.elasticsearch instance type but my number of instances is set to the default "3".

On 2/22/2019 at 4:15 PM, Christforums said:

Your number of instances is set to 1 when by default they are set to 3? What should I look for if I reduce down from 3 to 1? Is there a performance hit etc from reducing the number of instances?

By default the Instance type from Amazon was set up as m4.large.elasticsearch. My bill quickly hit $70.00 for just a couple of days of use. Now trying the t2.small.elasticsearch instance type but my number of instances is set to the default "3".

This is what happened to me, my bill went to over $400 in a month. I canceled it.

Sorry @ChristforumsI did not see your message.
I have no problem in selecting one instance and using the t2.small.elasticsearch
It may be related to the use of the EU(Ireland) zone?

690093988_instanciaAmazon.thumb.jpg.56ef069216ea51e2c737e6c9bc8a2f39.jpg 

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

This is what happened to me, my bill went to over $400 in a month. I canceled it.

In this case, as @Fosters tells you, the best option is elasticsearch.

Elasticsearch Service pricing calculator: https://cloud.elastic.co/pricing

An example:

1725815633_elasticsearchprice.thumb.jpg.a0a01c945e529ca7e86d2e2091560503.jpg

6 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Yes, I could see that happening and is why I set the instance type to t2.small.elasticsearch which is a free tier for up to 750 hours. The large.estasticserach isn't free at all. I'm a little unclear on how many instances will affect the free tier? And what the purpose is exactly of number of instances? Are instances fail overs and redundancy or do the number of instances distribute the workload over the number of instances?

For example, is a single instance one database and one cpu and two gigs of ram? And two instances two database two cpu and four gigs of ram each?  Amazon tends to drown someone in information with support and offer no direct answers for those uneducated in the area in which searching for help.

If the number of instances are for failover then I doubt I'll see a performance decrease in contrast to distributed workload.

The Elasticsearch engine from Amazon is so much better than the default search. I'm glad that this is an option but I'm trying to figure out whether this is even feasible for me at this time. After a few days of using the t2.small.elasticsearch I see that the billing isn't going up for the last few days. I'm keeping an eye on it every day.

6 hours ago, Fosters said:

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice that the first was post about elastic.co but that it then turned into a AWS discussion😐

I began the OP and only asked about elastic.co because of their free trial offer. I wasn't even aware at that time that AWS offered Elasticsearch. Please feel free to make this thread anything about Elasticsearch! 🙂

• 9 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, Fosters said:

I didn't notice that the first post was all about this🙈

I'm using an elastic.co account for 2 small sites and I was also using it for my local development until I found a better local workflow  and the we're paying around 15€ per month.

Hello @Fosters Can you help me with the configuration.

I am migrating from Amazon ES but I don't know which server I should put. It gives me error when putting the edponit that they facilitate in elastic.co

elastic elasticco.png

Archived