Commerce / Nexus Category View Options

Bluto

It would be great if I could hide the store categories so I don't expose store items which aren't online yet.

Considering the fact that each product needs to be in a category and categories can't be hidden - there are NO, NADA, ZERO surprises for visitors to the store.  They see everything regardless if it's ready or not.

I've resorted to using my own code (which is a pain in the A$$) to hide categories for products I'm still working on.

Maybe I'm missing someone.  A little slow.  If that happens to be the case, please enlighten me as to how to hide the categories in the store.  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bluto said:

It would be great if I could hide the store categories so I don't expose store items which aren't online yet.

Considering the fact that each product needs to be in a category and categories can't be hidden - there are NO, NADA, ZERO surprises for visitors to the store.  They see everything regardless if it's ready or not.

I've resorted to using my own code (which is a pain in the A$$) to hide categories for products I'm still working on.

Maybe I'm missing someone.  A little slow.  If that happens to be the case, please enlighten me as to how to hide the categories in the store.  

Thanks!

Not categories but products yes

store1.thumb.jpg.4e2cf319f632a972643fd33d06396489.jpg

Could just set product to only show to admins then no one else should be able to see the product

Not sure why you would need a category for EACH product ?

@steve00 yes I can hide a product from public view.  But I can't hide the category.  I have 5 options:

1.  Create a category with an obscure name so that visitors have no idea what is in the category.  Though, this results in a sloppy appearance with rando category names.  Not professional looking at all.

2.  Use code to hide the category in the template(s) which for me involves multiple templates over 5 themes.

3.  Setting everything up on a dev server and when finished copy all the info over to the live site - which is a real pain akin to a circa 1600 monk in an remote European town copying transcripts by candlelight.  No very cutting edge management of a industry caliber ecommerce solution.

4.  Place products in another active category and hide the products from view.  But then I have to move everything back to their real categories when finished.  When you have a lot of products, this can be very confusing.

5.  Hide the entire store from public view.

1 hour ago, Bluto said:

@steve00 yes I can hide a product from public view.  But I can't hide the category.  I have 5 options:

1.  Create a category with an obscure name so that visitors have no idea what is in the category.  Though, this results in a sloppy appearance with rando category names.  Not professional looking at all.

2.  Use code to hide the category in the template(s) which for me involves multiple templates over 5 themes.

3.  Setting everything up on a dev server and when finished copy all the info over to the live site - which is a real pain akin to a circa 1600 monk in an remote European town copying transcripts by candlelight.  No very cutting edge management of a industry caliber ecommerce solution.

4.  Place products in another active category and hide the products from view.  But then I have to move everything back to their real categories when finished.  When you have a lot of products, this can be very confusing.

5.  Hide the entire store from public view.

Or name the category as you would but add ... Coming Soon to the title (should act a bit like a teaser) then hide all the products

Then when ready just remove the coming soon from title and show all products

I know not what you are looking for and still a long winded way of doing it but perhaps a solution until maybe IPS decide to add that option ?

Just now, steve00 said:

Or name the category as you would but add ... Coming Soon to the title (should act a bit like a teaser) then hide all the products

I know not what you are looking for but perhaps a solution until maybe IPS decide to add that option ?

That's a good idea.  Never considered coming soon, makes a lot of sense.  That might be a good short term fix.  :smile:

Archived