Community

[Guide] Joel's Guide to Subscriptions

@Joy Rex If its any use, I make it a rule they accept when taking out a subscription that it is their responsibility to cancel prior to any renewal. Only a handful have complained and I ask them to raise a PayPal dispute. I have not lost yet. If you put all the required information in place and give the subscriber plenty of opportunity to cancel, you have no worries. 

I thought this may put people off subscribing, but it hasn't. Im not saying this method will work for all, but its assisted us 🙂 HTH

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Level:  Newbie Time:  15 minutes of reading.  Topic: IP.Commerce Subscriptions ============================= Hi everyone, One of the newest and easiest features of 4.3 is Subs

Another lesson that I learned the hard way (so you don't have to make the same mistakes) Charge more for the first month -- I originally had a monthly plan that costs $10  for the first month a

Thanks.  I think subscriptions are one of the easiest and fastest ways to make money if you have a genuine community of value.  You can earn 5 cents per day with AdSense, or make some real money.  

Posted Images

On 8/29/2020 at 7:52 PM, Pyrotechnic said:

@Joy Rex If its any use, I make it a rule they accept when taking out a subscription that it is their responsibility to cancel prior to any renewal. Only a handful have complained and I ask them to raise a PayPal dispute. I have not lost yet. If you put all the required information in place and give the subscriber plenty of opportunity to cancel, you have no worries. 

I thought this may put people off subscribing, but it hasn't. Im not saying this method will work for all, but its assisted us 🙂 HTH

Thanks for the input - for me, it's no big deal to refund a renewal if someone forgets to cancel (despite telling them otherwise) when they decide not to be part of our community anymore; I was just hoping there was some setting I was missing that would cancel the PayPal subscription if the user initiates it or their account was removed.

Another issue with Subscriptions I have found is if you want to use Social Media sign up/in like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc. - you cannot force a person signing up to choose a subscription before their account is active. I accidently did this and I had a lot of people who either didn't know or figured out they didn't have to subscribe if they signed up using one of those methods.