GOOGLE ADSENSE - Different Ad Units for Desktop & Mobile ?

Surendra.S

Hi All,

I need to display different AD UNITS (GOOGLE ADSENSE) for Desktop, Tablet & Mobile.

So I created different AD UNITS so that I can track them using custom channels.

I used ADVERTISEMENTS module of IPB with below code.

<div class='ipsResponsive_showDesktop'>
<!-- AD CODE FOR DESKTOP -->
</div>

<div class='ipsResponsive_showTablet ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'>
<!-- AD CODE FOR TABLET -->	
</div>

<div class='ipsResponsive_showPhone ipsResponsive_hideTablet ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'>
<!-- AD CODE FOR MOBILE -->
</div>

It works very well.

But by using this DIV/CSS method of displaying AD UNITS, I think the page still loads all 3 AD UNITS and hides 2 of them depending on which device user is using.

I suspect that may violate Google Terms and also affect the click through rates (CTR) badly.

Whats the best method to show different Ad Units in different devices by loading only 1 appropriate Ad Unit depending on the device ?

Can you please help how should we deal with this situation ?

7 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

I think the only thing you can really do is create custom ad placements and use your divs within the templates and not within the one ad placement.

You mean - I create 3 different ADVERTISEMENTS (for eg, AD-DESKTOPAD-TABLETAD-MOBILE) for each Ad placement, and then use the below DIV code directly in template ?

{advertisement="AD-DESKTOP"}
</div>

{advertisement="AD-TABLET"}	
</div>

<div class='ipsResponsive_showPhone ipsResponsive_hideTablet ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'>
{advertisement="AD-MOBILE"}
</div>

On 7/27/2018 at 5:24 PM, Surendra.S said:

You mean - I create 3 different ADVERTISEMENTS (for eg, AD-DESKTOPAD-TABLETAD-MOBILE) for each Ad placement, and then use the below DIV code directly in template ?

{advertisement="AD-DESKTOP"}
</div>

{advertisement="AD-TABLET"}	
</div>

{advertisement="AD-MOBILE"}
</div>

Yes 

They are, I keep getting emails and notifications within Adsense to use Auto Ads, they don't play nice with this software though.

For this thread, is there any reason why you don't just use a responsive ad placement for each position, then use the advanced reports which can show the ad unit performance breaking it down into mobile, tablet and desktop?

12 hours ago, dayh said:

They are, I keep getting emails and notifications within Adsense to use Auto Ads, they don't play nice with this software though.

For this thread, is there any reason why you don't just use a responsive ad placement for each position, then use the advanced reports which can show the ad unit performance breaking it down into mobile, tablet and desktop?

You are right.

But I don't use Responsive Units as much as possible.

I mostly use fixed size units for which click rates are higher than Responsive Units.

For eg, 728x90 for Desktop and 300x250 for Mobile.

And I track them using separate custom channels for Desktop & Mobile.

16 hours ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

I am pretty sure they are wanting everyone to start using the "auto ads"......

Which is good because it can show more than 3 which is only allowed with "auto ads".

I think Google removed the restriction of 3 ADs per page.

Check their TOS again. I think they removed that sentence.

So you may use 3+ ADs per page even without Auto Ads.

1 hour ago, Surendra.S said:

You are right.

But I don't use Responsive Units as much as possible.

I mostly use fixed size units for which click rates are higher than Responsive Units.

For eg, 728x90 for Desktop and 300x250 for Mobile.

And I track them using separate custom channels for Desktop & Mobile.

Are you saying that you get a higher rate using a custom size instead of responsive? I started getting higher rates using responsive because it fills the space sometimes even larger than 728x90 or other traditional banner size.

8 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Are you saying that you get a higher rate using a custom size instead of responsive? I started getting higher rates using responsive because it fills the space sometimes even larger than 728x90 or other traditional banner size.

Same. By allowing more sizes you get a better inventory of ads. Been using responsive now for a couple of years, works very well.

You can also use CSS to restrict responsive ads to a fixed size if you wish @Surendra.S

9 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Responsive Ad for Desktop works decent.

But in my case, I found that Responsive Unit in Mobile always loads 320x100 banner ad.

And its CTR is much lower than a fixed 300x250 size for Mobile.

I guess it depends on website, niche and type of users.

Archived