Jump to content

SparkPost Integration


HeadStand
 Share

Recommended Posts

Returns the SparkPost Email integration to IPS 4.3.

Features include:

  • Enable SparkPost for bulk mail only
  • Enable SparkPost for all outgoing mail
  • Integrate Bulk Mail with SparkPost campaigns
  • SparkPost Suppression List management
    • Search the list for individual users
    • Add email addresses to the suppression list
    • Delete email addresses from the suppression list
  • Synch the suppression list when a user unsubscribes from the forums

Coming soon:

  • Outgoing mail log
  • Webhook integration (synch forum subscription status when a user unsubscribes via sparkpost)

Note: it is strongly recommended that you use SparkPost with a dedicated IP. Shared servers very often lead to your server being classified as spam.

Purchase this file at: 

 

 

Edited by HeadStand
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'm looking at this and also the other one on the market place that restores using sparkpost api as well but only that. Yours has more features, correct? I'm trying to understand if I'll use those features though. Any feedback from anyone on this app? How you use these additional features?  Is this an app or plugin?

I like the suppression list management, so I can remove a user if they are suppressed and not receiving emails?

When are the additional features coming?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, AlexWebsites said:

I'm looking at this and also the other one on the market place that restores using sparkpost api as well but only that. Yours has more features, correct? I'm trying to understand if I'll use those features though. Any feedback from anyone on this app? How you use these additional features?  Is this an app or plugin?

It's an app.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, AlexWebsites said:

I like the suppression list management, so I can remove a user if they are suppressed and not receiving emails?

Correct.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, AlexWebsites said:

When are the additional features coming?

When I have a little more customer interest in the mod. I invested quite a bit of time in it, only to be beaten to the punch by 2 days by someone else. 😞 I had hoped for more purchases. If sales pick up, I'll happily put in more time to develop other features.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have a large community, using Invision ans SparkPost (aprox. 75k users)
https://www.projetoacbr.com.br/forum/

Currently I'm using Callum MacGregor plugin...

I'm very interested on these feature of your appication: "Integrate Bulk Mail with SparkPost campaigns"

Can you please provide more information about this ?
Is it possible to measure a campaign statistics, in SparkPost, using these feature ?

My community takes approximately 2 hour to send 55k e-mails... Your application goes to Background Tasks, when running ?

 

I also use Mail Bouncer application:
https://invisioncommunity.com/clients/purchases/64928-mail-bouncer/

Is your application compatible with it ?

Edited by Daniel Simoes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, Daniel Simoes said:

Is it possible to measure a campaign statistics, in SparkPost, using these feature ?

 

Should be. When you set up the bulk mail, you enter the campaign ID. All emails for that bulk mail will be flagged with that campaign and SparkPost will track it accordingly.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, Daniel Simoes said:

 My community takes approximately 2 hour to send 55k e-mails... Your application goes to Background Tasks, when running ?

 

Yes.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, Daniel Simoes said:

Is your application compatible with it ?

I think so, but to be honest, I haven't tested it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Just purchased this and very impressed so far! Nice to see Sparkpost listed in the Community Enhancements once more, back where it belongs! (Just sayin' is all! 🤐)

The suppression list search is great, may I suggest a button to search and display the full list, if possible?

Quick question, after completing the install and setting SP to send both types of mail, the previous SMTP settings for Sparkpost remain in the Email section of AdminCP. How best to deal with them?

Many thanks!

Edited by The Old Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 5:52 AM, The Old Man said:

The suppression list search is great, may I suggest a button to search and display the full list, if possible?

Unfortunately, the SparkPost API does not provide this option, which is why I didn't do it that way. 😞

On 1/2/2019 at 5:52 AM, The Old Man said:

Quick question, after completing the install and setting SP to send both types of mail, the previous SMTP settings for Sparkpost remain in the Email section of AdminCP. How best to deal with them?

They can stay there. They're not "hurting" anything by being there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AlexWebsites said:

Just bought this and installed. Was wondering the same because I don't see the option in email settings, its still on smtp, no option for sparkpost like sendgrid.

image.thumb.png.03e93d99bd273f2151a477e9cdc36e7c.png

Right, because I can't really "get in there" easily to add the option. When you go to the Community Enhancements, if you turn it on over there, it takes precedence over whatever you have in the Mail Delivery Method setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

Right, because I can't really "get in there" easily to add the option. When you go to the Community Enhancements, if you turn it on over there, it takes precedence over whatever you have in the Mail Delivery Method setting.

There must be a way because the "other" one in the marketplace (not as feature packed as yours) does get it to that settings page. I'll have to look at sparkpost to see if there is a way to view connection type to ensure its all working through the API I guess.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @HeadStand

I removed the existing smtp entries in AdminCP and it worked fine. However now that I'm using the EU version, it won't accept my API key. To clarify, I created a brand new API key at Sparkpost EU dashboard and it refuses to accept it in AdminCP when I select the EU version.

2S123/1 The API Key you supplied appears to be incorrect. Please check your API Key and try again.

it is definitely correct though.

Edited by The Old Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

There must be a way because the "other" one in the marketplace (not as feature packed as yours) does get it to that settings page. I'll have to look at sparkpost to see if there is a way to view connection type to ensure its all working through the API I guess.

I didn't say there was no way, I said there was no "easy" way. 😉

I'll try to get that done.

14 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Thanks @HeadStand

I removed the existing smtp entries in AdminCP and it worked fine. However now that I'm using the EU version, it won't accept my API key. To clarify, I created a brand new API key at Sparkpost EU dashboard and it refuses to accept it in AdminCP when I select the EU version.


2S123/1 The API Key you supplied appears to be incorrect. Please check your API Key and try again.

it is definitely correct though.

PM coming your way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Am I supposed to see emails/users listed? Nothing in the list since installing. No results.

image.thumb.png.24881d4208d1b6c0efb57284cb001deb.png

No. Unfortunately, the Sparkpost API does not give you a list. It only allows you to search for a specific email address. Kind of silly, but not much I can do about it. 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

  • SparkPost EU did not work correctly. Fixed.
  • SparkPost is now an option on the standard Email Settings page. NOTE: You must still configure the distribution using the Community Enhancements page.
  • Outgoing Mail Logs are now available
On 1/24/2019 at 7:54 AM, AlexWebsites said:

Have you seen the mailbouncer app by @stoo2000? That app is able to generate a list of users that have been disabled in sparkpost with a webhook I believe. I took one of those users and plugged it into your search and it worked. Somehow the mailbouncer app is able to pull a list from sparkpost API. Not sure if related.

 

I believe the bouncer app stores the results of each bounce locally. So it isn't retrieving the those results from the API, but from its local list.  This is something I'd like to do with a web hook, but I haven't had a chance to implement that yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HeadStand said:

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

  • SparkPost EU did not work correctly. Fixed.
  • SparkPost is now an option on the standard Email Settings page. NOTE: You must still configure the distribution using the Community Enhancements page.
  • Outgoing Mail Logs are now available

I believe the bouncer app stores the results of each bounce locally. So it isn't retrieving the those results from the API, but from its local list.  This is something I'd like to do with a web hook, but I haven't had a chance to implement that yet.

Sounds Good and thanks for updating! @stoo2000 got it working with mail bouncer now for me.

Love the email logs!

Edited by AlexWebsites
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an interesting thing happen today and not sure what's to blame really. I had a user reach out via contact us link saying they never received the validation email after registering. I used the suppression list feature and found their email listed. Looks like during registration they unchecked

image.png.18b11928e47a1bbcc37021fb1acb0da0.png

On the suppression list I see

image.png.bd925a69ff1331551e9e035a90998118.png

So my question is, if a new user registers and unchecks this box, they are being put on the supression list for sparkpost?

I started checking some recent registrations that have not validated their email and they have unchecked to receive news and updates and are showing up on the suppression list.

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@HeadStand,  I checked some un-validated (by email for registration) members who have unchecked that setting to receive news and updates, and registered before I installed this app, and they are not on the suppression list. 

Can you verify your app isn't putting emails on the suppression list when a user checks that setting off? I think that setting is supposed to prevent IPS from sending out bulk mail only.

On another note, every time I search an email address on the suppression list, it comes up twice. The delete X removes them both though.

Edited by AlexWebsites
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HeadStand said:

I think you're right. I'll try to fix this tomorrow.

Not sure if this helps, but the outgoing mail log shows the new user is sent an email that they need to validate their account and the same email is on the suppression list, so IPS is sending the email but then sparkpost suppresses it. The user can never validate. Luckily, most of my new users leave that checked on, but I'm getting 1-2 a day that don't and manually uncheck it during registration, so they never receive the actual email to validate their account.

image.png.3179b1a29fbe974bfa28db6515de5dd0.png

For anyone else that requires email validation for registration, go to your member setting and check validating users. Run those email addresses through the suppression list checker. Remove them and resent the validation until this fix comes out.

I imagine if you have Opt In selected and your check mark by default is off, all your users will never get any emails because they'll all be on the suppression list after registration. 

image.thumb.png.2ca79c6215ea23d069f853004e7b5fd7.png

Edited by AlexWebsites
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

@HeadStand,  I checked some un-validated (by email for registration) members who have unchecked that setting to receive news and updates, and registered before I installed this app, and they are not on the suppression list. 

Can you verify your app isn't putting emails on the suppression list when a user checks that setting off? I think that setting is supposed to prevent IPS from sending out bulk mail only.

On another note, every time I search an email address on the suppression list, it comes up twice. The delete X removes them both though.

I checked and you were spot on, I missed this as well. I only had two out of about 10 entries that were validating members. Many thank to you and Headstand for the super quick fix.

re the duplicates, looking at the suppression list in the SP dashboard, one is for opting out of transactional mail, the other is for non-transactional mail, so that is okay.

There is a delay before the suppression list is updated, a few minutes, until then the email addresses continue to show.

If you delete one of the unintended suppression list entries in the AdminCP as opposed to the SP Dashboard, obviously you don't know which transaction type it is from looking at it, but you get an error message if that email address and transaction type has already been removed:

A configuration or server error has occurred
1ASPSL/1 NOT_FOUND

As Alex says, if it is there, it deletes fine and confirms via message.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

I checked and you were spot on, I missed this as well. I only had two out of about 10 entries that were validating members. Many thank to you and Headstand for the super quick fix.

re the duplicates, looking at the suppression list in the SP dashboard, one is for opting out of transactional mail, the other is for non-transactional mail, so that is okay.

There is a delay before the suppression list is updated, a few minutes, until then the email addresses continue to show.

If you delete one of the unintended suppression list entries in the AdminCP as opposed to the SP Dashboard, obviously you don't know which transaction type it is from looking at it, but you get an error message if that email address and transaction type has already been removed:


A configuration or server error has occurred
1ASPSL/1 NOT_FOUND

As Alex says, if it is there, it deletes fine and confirms via message.

Oh is that why every email in the list comes up twice? 

@HeadStand thanks for the fix, will upload it now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...