Community

esquire

Completely confused

OK... some of you may remember me as I was around for a while, built a number of sites with the licenses I have and provided a lot of feedback while I was here, especially SEO related. Have been very busy with other things, all good, and came back to change the domain on one of my licenses and found... myself utterly confused being locked out of virtually anything and everything. If I hadn't been around for as long as I have been, I probably would have been even more baffled. I'm posting in chit-chat because it seems that "support" on all my 4 licenses have expired. So I guess things have changed and maybe someone can explain them.

1) So if one owns licenses it appears that there is no way to change the domain on them - unless you pay a support fee. The overlay says you can get updates, access to support resources and spam monitoring... OK. But there is no other explanation as to why you can't download the software you're licensed to have, the domain you've installed, the key for that software, etc.

2) For a moment I wondered whether this forum had suffered a substantial departure since it seemed so much was missing. This is also the case because I can't access even half of the forums that are visible. I had to look at my 1000+ posts to find where things were and then I realized that even the add-ons I've paid for are inaccessible and as to my posts, you can view the page the post is on but nothing else as access to all those forums are gone.

So... hi again y'all. What's up?

Welcome back! You should be able to still download addons (unless the author requires renewals that you've not paid) and most areas of the community should still be accessible to expired customers. As mentioned, please submit a ticket and we'll be happy to take a look at your account. 

Regarding URL changes - the perception that an active license is tied exclusively to only support is a misconception due to the way licenses were handled many years ago. For quite a long time (approx. a decade), the only thing an expired license allows you to do is continue using the software as it was at time of expiration - meaning, on the same URL, the same existing installed version, etc. An expired license is just that, so unfortunately, that is why you're not able to update the URL, reinstall or download until the license is reactivated -- we don't shut off the software or prevent use when a license expires, but just about everything else requires an active license. 

Sorry for any confusion and frustration - please get in touch with us and we'll work on getting your account back in order. 

Hey Lindy! Hi Matt!

Perhaps you can tweak the message just a little bit to (a) let existing users know that some things are behind the curtain as developers need upgrade fees to pay the rent; and (b) let others know that there is a lot more than appears to the eye! You guys have your reasons but I always found a product more compelling and reassuring confidence when I saw activity that I couldn't access yet but that the interest was there.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll get in touch with you guys and learn about how the new process works. Looking forward to putting some of those licenses on some new sites that have promise and could probably use a more tightly integrated solution. Thanks!

Edited by esquire