Quotes keep the old display name

jair101

When the display name is changed, previous quotes still include the old display name and are not updated. Is this a bug or it is working as designed? Is there a rebuild task I need to run to reprocess all quotes?

I have raised a ticket, but I might get an answer here faster :)

I just got a reply from IPS that this is as designed. Sounds like a very bad design to me, but it is what it is. I provided a feedback, hopefully they will consider it. 

In the meantime, can someone provide an sql query or something that renames the quotes according to the new display name? 3rd party plugin will also be fine, I think this is a gap in the software that needs to be closed one way or another. 

3 minutes ago, The Heff said:

I think it's by design as, I would assume, a rebuild of post content would be required any time a member changed their display name.

I would be fine to rebuild the post content on a weekly or monthly basis. It mostly affects the old posts anyway, so no rush to do it immediately. But it affects them badly.

I suppose it can be optimized by rebuilding only the posts that contains quotes/mentions of the people with changed display name too.

8 hours ago, jair101 said:

I would be fine to rebuild the post content on a weekly or monthly basis

I can't cringe enough at this statement. 

Rebuilding post content should be an action of last resort and with a definite purpose to fix something with code in place to keep what you just fixed from happening again. I've been witness to boards that rebuild post content for no real reason, they liked to run cool sounding admin options in their ACP, the only option to make their community usable again was a complete DB restore. 

27 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

I can't cringe enough at this statement. 

Rebuilding post content should be an action of last resort and with a definite purpose to fix something with code in place to keep what you just fixed from happening again. I've been witness to boards that rebuild post content for no real reason, they liked to run cool sounding admin options in their ACP, the only option to make their community usable again was a complete DB restore. 

This might very well be true. What makes me cringe however is having a post under UserB that us quoted with original author shown as UserA. Disregarding the periodic post rebuild, do you have any different suggestion on how to handle this issue? Apparently IPS are leaving us in cringe battles. 

This plugin is about to start being beta tested. I'm going to put the following information out right now, to manage expectations:

Quotes that pre-date IPS 4.x (i.e. were created prior to the site going to IPS 4.x) will not be modified by this plugin

Why? Because there is no way to lookup the current name of the person being quoted.

The new quote structure includes a data attribute that provides the member id of the quoted person, along with another data attribute that lists the name of the quoted person at the time the quote was created. To be able to change the name, you need to be able to look up the account....and that can be done with the member id that is provided.

The old quotes, however, only include the data attribute with the name. There is no member id to use to lookup, so a lookup cannot be performed. I do not see a method available to be able to lookup the member id of an account based on an old display name, let alone their current name, so it's not possible to update those old quotes.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Christine35 said:

If I understand this correctly, can this plugin help?

Kind of.......if you want, it can be changed to 'Guest' or 'Guest Username' but cannot be the 'last known name' of someone if they've changed the display name between the time of the quote being made and the account being deleted (see the full listing for the reason)

it cannot look up the "last known name" of a deleted account. Why? Because the account has been deleted, the content associated with it has had the member ID reset to 0. Therefore it is not possible to look up content for deleted member as no content for that member ID will exist anymore

Archived