Jump to content

How do you send out your forum to facebook/twitter?


Sheffielder
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/30/2018 at 5:51 PM, Sheffielder said:

So I'm using DLVR
It allows me to automatically send out new threads to Facebook/Twitter when started, along with a sharer image.

Question is - do I need this now with the latest version of IPB? 

Does the software do this automatically now?

I'm still confused by this one.

 

Hi Sheffielder,

Are you using Free / Paid version of DLVR ?

And, how do you specify Sharer image for automated posts ? Do you set the image for each post in IPB or DLVR interface ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:55 PM, Surendra.S said:

Hi Sheffielder,

Are you using Free / Paid version of DLVR ?

And, how do you specify Sharer image for automated posts ? Do you set the image for each post in IPB or DLVR interface ?

 


I used paid

Use the sharer image from the forum as not every new thread that's posted contains an image


It sends out the threads to twitter/facebook perfectly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sheffielder said:

Use the sharer image from the forum as not every new thread that's posted contains an image

Can you send a specific image of topics per forum or is it one image for all topics independent of the forum it is posting from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a question about this. So to clarify (if I understand correctly): you're using a 3rd party solution (DLVR) with the RSS feed? As I tried to set it up a few times now using the built-in functionality of IPS4.x ("Social media Promotion"-section in IPS admin backend) with 'feature content' functionality and thus far not much luck. *edit* and based on RSS feed assumption, are you just syndicating all new content? Or found a way to create a RSS feed out of featured content? Which could be what you're asking too ?

Edited by rhyker2u
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, InsideEdge said:

Can you send a specific image of topics per forum or is it one image for all topics independent of the forum it is posting from?



Not sure mate - never tried that

As far as I know it just takes the uploaded sharer image

 

24 minutes ago, rhyker2u said:

Have a question about this. So to clarify (if I understand correctly): you're using a 3rd party solution (DLVR) with the RSS feed? As I tried to set it up a few times now using the built-in functionality of IPS4.x ("Social media Promotion"-section in IPS admin backend) with 'feature content' functionality and thus far not much luck. *edit* and based on RSS feed assumption, are you just syndicating all new content? Or found a way to create a RSS feed out of featured content? Which could be what you're asking too ?



So basically I have created an RSS feed on the backend of the forum where I selected which forums to post from.

So out of 10 sections on my forum I only send new topics out from (for example) 4 of them and 6 of them don't get sent out if any new topics are posted

Best thing I could suggest is check out DLVR and see what you think of it (think there's a free version)

Edited by Sheffielder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Response from invision support on my own question if it's possible to create RSS feeds from featured content:

" Unfortunately there is no way in which to create RSS feeds by featured content at present time."

Okay, bummer. That means there are basically two scenario's. Here's my take on it:

  1. use IPS4's built-in functionality which gives more control over what's gets pushed out to Facebook / Twitter. Specifically useful for featuring 'picked' content (both on-site as on to push out periodically to social media). Which also gives more control on using a different title, image, description then included in the post. But only limited to those two social media it seems. But does allow to 're-feature' specific content from the next scenario you currently have:
  2. create RSS feeds for specific forum threads based on new content. Like we already could in IPB3 too but with a more consisted experience as more themes have the proper meta tags now when a first post has no image in the RSS. To syndicate / dripfeed that using a 3rd party solution onto any social media of our preference. Not familiar with DLVR myself, but probably does the same as Hootsuite and Buffer? Thus gives less control over the featured image (unless the 3rd party solution allows to change it), but opens a pletora of other social media avenues to gain traffic: pinterest, linkedin, feedly, etc.

Do you need it? Hmm depends. Sweetspot is probably in the middle by using both.

Looking forward to other admin's their experience / opinions on the first scenario.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2018 at 1:21 PM, Sheffielder said:

So I'm using DLVR. 
It allows me to automatically send out new threads to Facebook/Twitter when started, along with a sharer image.

Question is - do I need this now with the latest version of IPB? 

Does the software do this automatically now?

I'm still confused by this one.

 

i'm not sure this is a good idea to send out every thread.

I sell a lot of private advertising on my forum.  A lot of the advertisers are big companies using 3rd party media companies to purchase their ads.  I talk to as many of these companies as I can and gleam what I can from them, and the general conscensus is that anymore than 2 shares to a facebook page per day is too much and seen as simply annoying.

Apologies if I misunderstood your post though, but it reads like all threads are automatically shared

Edited by Steve Bullman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Steve Bullman that's why 3rd party syndicators have throttling built-in. Or that's how I call it. Where you can put a limit on syndicated posts that are being blasted out based on the RSS feed, so it doesn't turn into spam or massive unfollows. Problem with that is that you're kinda stuck with what exactly gets shared (unless you like to edit the share queue manually). What I've done thusfar is simply share posts manually. Turns into a dayjob very fast. Quite annoying.

Just proposed a different kind of solution based on our prior posts. See: 

Anyway ... @Sheffielder as @opentype suggested in the 2nd post. The answer does seem to be a simple: "yes" indeed. Don't change a winning formula. ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pulled away from Facebook now but I tried automated tweets but they never really performed well, you're reliant on members posting topics with titles that convert well to tweets otherwise they can come across as a bit spammy.....which many do.

Taking the extra time to manually post or schedule with the inbuilt promote works much better with better engagement and click throughs. More work yes, but if you have much better control and of course it's free. If you really want to use social media to your advantage, just put that little bit of time in, honestly it's worth it.

Even giving an enthusiastic moderator access to the promote app is much better, than using a automated service.

I just wish that IPS would let us upload sharer images per topic when promoting that embed into Twitter cards, would look much better and clickable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...