External Links Rich Embed [Support Topic]

I just bought this earlier today, and love the idea of it :smile:

Does it work if one adds several links in a post? I added 4 in one post, but only the first one was embedded; they were each directly below quoted text, in case that was what was affecting it? The other links were to domains I know work with the plugin, eg: I'd added a link (just the one) in a different post to a different page on the same domain and it worked fine. 

Also, sometimes the favicon shows just the bottom half of it. This is in links to the same domain, so it's not as if they don't have a favicon.

2 hours ago, Millipede said:

I just bought this earlier today, and love the idea of it :smile:

Does it work if one adds several links in a post? I added 4 in one post, but only the first one was embedded; they were each directly below quoted text, in case that was what was affecting it? The other links were to domains I know work with the plugin, eg: I'd added a link (just the one) in a different post to a different page on the same domain and it worked fine. 

Also, sometimes the favicon shows just the bottom half of it. This is in links to the same domain, so it's not as if they don't have a favicon.

Could you please provide a call sample for both issues?

Favicons seem to have sorted themselves out and now always show. It was only in those first couple of times I used the plugin that they went a bit squiffy.

I’ve been testing some more, with links to various sites. It seems erratic in whether it produces an embedded link or not; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. So it doesn’t just apply to the domain in the posts I mentioned earlier.

It also won’t always embed any of the links I’ve used before (when pasting them into a new post), it just shows them as underlined URLs.

Also, if I paste an URL that I’ve copied from a text file, it doesn’t always embed.

On another occasion the phone rang whilst I was still in editing mode, and 2 out 3 links appeared after a long while, about 2-3 minutes. I’m on a fibre connection which, whilst not the fastest fibre available, is still fast; so that shouldn’t be the problem.

A separate nuisance, which is an IPS thing, is that a link isn’t clickable unless you hit a space or hit Enter after it. So, if you’ve typed out your post in a text editor first and then paste it into a post, none of the links are clickable. It’s annoying for people who type their posts out in a text editor first.

In case it bears any relation, I have the editor Return Key set to “go to next line” (as an aside, I also find it annoying that it doesn’t use br tags to break lines but uses p tags!).

4 hours ago, Millipede said:

I’ve been testing some more, with links to various sites. It seems erratic in whether it produces an embedded link or not; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. So it doesn’t just apply to the domain in the posts I mentioned earlier.

It also won’t always embed any of the links I’ve used before (when pasting them into a new post), it just shows them as underlined URLs. 

Strange, I have to test this case myself, if possible could you please PM me with a link sample?

Also, if I paste an URL that I’ve copied from a text file, it doesn’t always embed. 

A separate nuisance, which is an IPS thing, is that a link isn’t clickable unless you hit a space or hit Enter after it. So, if you’ve typed out your post in a text editor first and then paste it into a post, none of the links are clickable. It’s annoying for people who type their posts out in a text editor first.

This is not an IPS or plugin thing, it's CKEditor behavior, and I think it's normal because txt editors are used to write only plain text not full HTML formatted text, but you have an option to use rich text editor that can detect written urls to overcome this behavior.

In case it bears any relation, I have the editor Return Key set to “go to next line” (as an aside, I also find it annoying that it doesn’t use br tags to break lines but uses p tags!). 

Also this one is a CKE behavior, and they strongly recommend not to override this mode by using BR mode for the reasons listed here (This option is totally removed from CKE5).

You've two options for this.

• To use shift+enter to make line break by <br>
  • Overload it programmatically by adding this line at the end of CKE config.js file (NOT RECOMMENDED BY CKE DEVELOPERS?
a.enterMode = CKEDITOR.ENTER_BR;

On another occasion the phone rang whilst I was still in editing mode, and 2 out 3 links appeared after a long while, about 2-3 minutes. I’m on a fibre connection which, whilst not the fastest fibre available, is still fast; so that shouldn’t be the problem. 

The link meta data retrieval speed depends on two factors together, Your internet connection speed and data retrieval speed from the 3rd party remote server.

May I ask a question, is it an individual case? does it happen with all users?

I can’t send a link to my tests, I’m afraid, as it’s on my test forum. Also, I didn’t necessarily “submit” my test posts, so there wouldn’t be a post to see. I’ve only used the plugin on 2 or 3 posts on my live forum, and I’ll send you a link to them via PM.

So far, I’m the only user who’s used the plugin. It’s a small (and quiet) support forum for a niche subject... and I tend to post more links than anyone else.

I hope you won’t mind, but I’m going to disagree on the use of BR vs paragraph for linebreaks. IPS is the only forum I go to that uses only paragraph breaks. Other forums I go to don’t. And, although not the same as a forum but maybe a bit similar to Pages, the JCE editor I use on a Joomla CMS site (based on TinyMCE) offers BR linebreaks too. Anyway, it’s off-topic and the subject was hashed to death when v.4 first came out - it was one of several reasons why I didn’t upgrade from v.3 till very recently. I could go on forever about it, so it’s best I don’t :smile:. I only mentioned it in case it had some bearing.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, Bluto said:

Hey, love the plugin!

Would it be possible, in the settings, to have a list of URLs not to convert.  I have a lot of people pasting Goo.gl links and links using other shortners.  It would be great if the plugin could skip certain links. 

Otherwise, it works great.

Wait for it in the soonest version

20 hours ago, Supratec said:

Hi there,

behance.net seems to work only on main page url but any other like profile or gallery items ulrs not are not embeeding in post.
Please could make that works in next update?
Many thanks for plugin, does the job! ?

This bug should be fixed in the upcoming version after removing the urlmeta API dependency.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, Michael R said:

Would love to see the option to include more content from the link. I would like to be able to include an excerpt of the content. 

Planned.

What's new in 1.3.0:

• Remove URLMETA API dependency, and url retrieval data processing is now included in plugin code.
  • Add support for broken urls reported by some members.
  • Add support for multiple OG meta schemes (og:name, twitter:name)
  • Fix issue of broken favicon link in case of image prosy option is enabled.
  • Add admin plugin setting to exclude urls from being retrieved.
4 minutes ago, A Zayed said:

For now, you've to enter full url, I'l consider wildcards in the next version.

I was just hoping to get the url, wildcard would be a total bonus.  

I was just asking because I was curious.  Honestly, I really can't think of a time when I'd need to make sure a specific url wasn't embedded.  Maybe in the most extreme case.

Anyway, thanks again for the addition!  ?

Edited by Bluto
7 hours ago, Phan Van Son said:

Desktop View:

1137923148_DesktopView.thumb.JPG.957188d824119449da3da5b9ffaa65d7.JPG

Mobile View:

1123310452_mobileview.thumb.JPG.1f3fd2cd2dc2be131eddd2f514b2c9b9.JPG

What's new in 1.3.1:

• Bug Fix: gzip encoded pages can not be retrieved, now fixed.
  • Bug Fix: Favicons not working for some pages.
  • Excluded urls can now be used with wildcards.