Facebook manage_pages publish_pages

Well who would'a guessed it... Facebook take 6 weeks to review an app and decline it. Useless.

I need to provide a screencast of how the permissions will be used. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to do that without the permissions, since nothing will work and the IPS software will not show the controls in use. Catch 22... Show me this chicken before it hatches.

Does anybody have any ideas how to get around this?

Edited by The Heff

I've had user_posts enabled since Status imports has been available, but Facebook recently required me to re-request the permission. I followed this exactly (almost two months ago) but they still denied it.

SNAG-0004.thumb.png.ea4378a02942ac5feb0ae29ed3039064.png

I have a feeling this has to do with GDPR, I also use Zapier to post news to our Facebook page and it was down for much of the weekend, although they did manage to fix it. Zapier said that it was due to Facebook changing the way it can interact with the API.

If they are going to deny it when I followed IPS' instructions, and uploaded a screencast of me logging in and setting the permission to import status update, what more can I do?

53 minutes ago, jair101 said:

So basically we cannot setup promotion to facebook anymore, is that correct?

Quoting myself as I did some digging. Indeed, you shouldn't need to submit for review if you are going to promote through your admin profile - this is something that is confusing many people, but IPS still have not clarified that in the ACP or in a help guide, you can only find it in random posts here and there. 

Second thing, which I wasn't aware of - you need your app in development mode for it to work, you should do it either before you go live with your fb integration or temporarily put it back in dev. 

I will list the steps to perform.

1. Follow the guide here, make sure the login works and your admin profil is synced: 

2. If you followed the guide literally, then your app is live. Put it back in dev mode. 

3. Go in the promotion settings in FB and click "Grant Facebook Permissions"

4. Follow the dialog, click ok and don't bother submitting anything to facebook. You will see in ACP that you have now the options to select on which page to promote, default hashtag, etc. 

Click Save and that should be it! Sort of... It appears to work, but the promoting fails:

image.thumb.png.294a00232cde809ae4d5c6600d2d311f.png

If someone managed to promote content in 4.3, please advise. I will submit ticket to IPS tomorrow. 

Ok, final note from me. 

If the app is in dev mode - then you can promote to your fb page perfectly fine. But your fb logins won't be working. 

If the app is online - your logins will work, but you need to be approved to promote to fb page. And by checking others comments, approval is kinda impossible. 

So either one or the other, you can't have both. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Joey_M said:

Has anyone got this working?

Mine suddenly stopped working and in the past I gave up because Facebook just declined the permissions, I even had to open a ticket with support and I followed their steps and nothing.

If you don't have permissions approved from fb (which I believe is almost impossible), you need to put your app in development mode and it will work. However, in this case the FB login won't work. Win some, lose some.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tired of dealing with Facebook, I have put a support ticket in - clearly IPS have it working but why no staff member is trying to be helpful seems poor (as it does that the documentation in the guides isn't of any use now).

Very disappointed, I am hopeful they will support me via a ticket.

On 7/29/2018 at 5:59 AM, JohnCourt said:

I have tried and tried, nothing works, experiencing the same issues as above. "Our Picks" does not work with FB integration now, sad. I too would like to see some clear step by step tutorials on this.

IPS have told me via support that it's almost impossible.

I think IPS should allow for separation of the required apps to make this work, you have one for Facebook logins (which is an active/live app) and another for the social side which can bypass the requirements and remain in dev mode.

There's got to be a temporary fix around this.

On 7/29/2018 at 6:59 AM, JohnCourt said:

I have tried and tried, nothing works, experiencing the same issues as above. "Our Picks" does not work with FB integration now, sad. I too would like to see some clear step by step tutorials on this.

Same here. And there aren't that many alternatives: 

It would be cool if Invision can implement a bridge to 3rd party syndicators from within "Social Media Sharing" IPS backend. Bypasses the FB issue altogether (in a lot of cases) and opens up more social media avenues with combining the best of new IPS4.x functionality. @Matt -- apologies for tagging you -- is that something that could be added to the roadmap? Would save us all a lot of time and frustration. And dev time for invision seems minimal to me (compared to integrating every SM manually from within IPS backend instead of only FB and Twitter at the moment) and for admins it would be heaven too. Does raise the question which 3rd party service should be implemented first. Got no opinion on that myself, but a poll on the forum should reveal a candidate fast. Or ... pretty please make it possible to create RSS feeds out of featured / picked content? :rolleyes::blush: 

Edited by rhyker2u

On 7/6/2018 at 4:25 AM, jair101 said:

If someone managed to promote content in 4.3, please advise. I will submit ticket to IPS tomorrow. 

Just did to get some eyeballs on my prior suggestion. And got a familiar response;  we are not supposed to file feature requests or get invision's staff attention in support tickets. And use the forums feedback section for that instead. They did propose a workaround / step-by-step guide, which looks familiar to what you suggested already. Sharing regardless, might save others some time:

• To take the video, you need to take you facebook app offline at Facebook
  • Once it is in development mode, you can then promote without needing permissions, and therefore do the video showing what it does to submit for approval with facebook.
  • Note that at this point not everyone will be able to log in using facebook - just those listed as admins on the app at FB
  • Once you have taken the video, you can put the application on facebook back live

• 1 year later...