Youtube Autoplay Doesn't Work?

Allfict

In earlier versions of 4.2 autoplay worked fine with YouTube, then somewhere it stopped working and has never done since. I have a plugin for the editor which enables autoplay and even that doesn't work with any version since, it seems like a bug but IPS have said to me the past it isn't.

Are we talking about embedding youtube videos inside posts?

When I embed a video using the standard youtube iframe embed code with "autoplay=1". The system automatically removes that from the source url of the iframe. In fact it removes any variation of "autoplay". But if I pass anything else it leaves it.

So, this is looks to me a deliberate thing from IPS and I can understand why they do it.

A security report came in a while ago that you could 'crash' a browser by embedding a lot of videos set to autoplay (I don't remember the details now, it was something along those lines). We disabled autoplay for embedded videos because multiple users can embed videos onto a single page which would create issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 10:16 AM, bfarber said:

A security report came in a while ago that you could 'crash' a browser by embedding a lot of videos set to autoplay (I don't remember the details now, it was something along those lines). We disabled autoplay for embedded videos because multiple users can embed videos onto a single page which would create issues.

Yes!  I'm so glad this was done.  We're one of the communities that had this issue with autoplaying videos.  Some pages would have tons of live twitch streams playing all at once on page load.  Was madness!

• 5 months later...

All of my members just use the youtube url for posting videos, so autoplay doesn't hurt or affect my board.

I use a hidden youtube autoplay code for advertising, playing music & music trivia on posts.... , so I am wondering if auto play can be enabled by editing code somewhere???

thanks for any feedback

Archived