Do not load all emojis by default

jair101

Some of my members are complaining that emojis menu takes a while to load. I have checked and it is about 1 second on chrome and 3-4 seconds on IE. 

Is it possible to group the emojis by category and expand and load it only when certain category is requested or when certain emojis are searched? Right now loading the menu means hundreds of requests needs to be processed, which I guess is what slows the entire thing down. I am using Emojione, but there is also slight delay even with the native ones. 

If it is possible to somehow precache them, it would also be great. Right now it seems that the emojis needs to be reloaded again at each page load. 

Normally what takes time is figuring out which Emoji the browser can display, but it should cache this result so it is quicker on all subsequent loads. Make sure you're not blocking cookies or something which might prevent that.

If it's just the first load you mean, we do have a bit of an improvement to the performance of this coming for 4.3.4. If after that it's still taking 3-4 seconds, please submit a ticket - that's definitely not intentional.

25 minutes ago, Mark said:

Normally what takes time is figuring out which Emoji the browser can display, but it should cache this result so it is quicker on all subsequent loads. Make sure you're not blocking cookies or something which might prevent that.

If it's just the first load you mean, we do have a bit of an improvement to the performance of this coming for 4.3.4. If after that it's still taking 3-4 seconds, please submit a ticket - that's definitely not intentional.

The slowdown is on first load, but on each page load, so it seem that the caching is only for the current page view. As long as I navigate away from the page, the delay is again noticeable on first load. 

I will wait for 4.3.4 and if there are remaining issues, I will submit a ticket. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

There is another annoyance I hope you will fix with the Emoji window, please?

When you click on an Emoji the window closes, can this be left open and let the user close the emoji box when finished adding all the Emoji's they want.

On 6/11/2018 at 2:27 AM, TDBF said:

There is another annoyance I hope you will fix with the Emoji window, please?

When you click on an Emoji the window closes, can this be left open and let the user close the emoji box when finished adding all the Emoji's they want.

They need to make add a toggle for how many to display per category. That way everyone is satisfied. Loading way too many emoticons made the window pretty meh.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:32 PM, bearback said:

just disabled Emoji

some of my members are complaining of slow load times and increased CPU on there desktop PC

It is only like that on the first load, after that it is pretty quick to load up as it is cached.

In that case, disable using/showing "real" emoji and just upload the emoticon images you wish to use manually as you did in the past. You are not forced to use "real" emoji (or rather, you are not forced to display them in the emoticon selector in the editor).

42 minutes ago, bfarber said:

In that case, disable using/showing "real" emoji and just upload the emoticon images you wish to use manually as you did in the past. You are not forced to use "real" emoji (or rather, you are not forced to display them in the emoticon selector in the editor).

I use the EmojiOne set (or Twitter set, it doesn't matter) for two reasons:
1. they are displayed identically on all platforms;
2. they are displayed on platforms where there is no complete set of emoji (old versions of Android / Windows / Mac OS / etc).

I would prefer to have only one category in the emoji selection window - "Smileys & People". But of course at the same time all the other emoji from the EmojiOne set should be displayed in the posts after the manual insertion (colon>name, or insert through the OS system panel).

4 hours ago, TDBF said:

It is only like that on the first load, after that it is pretty quick to load up as it is cached.

That's what I said to my members but reports show its still the same even after cached, the main reason for disabling them is causing cpu load on there pc.

Emoji are pretty rubbish anyway, they don't look that great.

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

That's what I have done, back using just emoticon only with no issues :biggrin:

4 hours ago, bearback said:

That's what I said to my members but reports show its still the same even after cached, the main reason for disabling them is causing cpu load on there pc.

Emoji are pretty rubbish anyway, they don't look that great.

That's what I have done, back using just emoticon only with no issues :biggrin:

Same here, But even that is problematic for me with custom emoticons ? I have so many images. Since they switched the emoticon window to display all images in all categories on first load rather than just a few rows from each category, It's buggy and slowed down for me. Well I'm not removing emoticons. And I ain't looking for solutions. ? so members can use short codes. Not a big worry I guess.

Archived