Public Display of PHP Errors Enabled

sadams101

I am the server admin, and am seeing this error in the IPB Admin:

Public Display of PHP Errors Enabled
The display_errors PHP configuration option is currently enabled on your server, which is not recommended for production environments and we recommend disabling it. If you do not manage your server yourself, your hosting provider will be able to assist with this.

I have checked all server php.ini files, the root and site versions, and all are correctly set to display_errors = Off, yet I am still seeing this warning. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi,

Go into the ACP, click on Support and in a box on the right side, you should see your PHP version listed. Just under that in small letters is: phpinfo. Click that and you'll see your site's PHP configuration and most importantly, you will be able to see where it is pulling the settings from.

Look for:

Configuration File (php.ini) Path

That is the php.ini file that matters. Either change your local php settings to point to a local ini file or change the error display in the listed ini file.

Once you change the setting, you should be able to see it change in your phpinfo file. Please note that file caching can sometimes show you a old local version of the file rather than the latest one.

Thank you for the reply. The path listed there is the default php.ini file for the site, and when I open that file on command line I see:

display_errors = Off

Any other ideas? This is set correctly, the server and apache have been restarted many times with this setting this way.

Master value is what you have in your php.ini, local value is what is in effect at the time php.info is ran, which means somewhere you are overwriting the value present in your php.ini.

Unfortunately there are many places where the value may be overwritten so you will have to check all of the following:

• htaccess files (look for php_value statement)
  • apache conf files (again look for php_value statement)
  • Any plugin or application you created or installed (look for ini_set statements)
  • Finally if you have developer mode active this will also cause display_errors to be on.

Make sure you don't have an ini_set() in your conf_global.php or constants.php or similar that is turning error display on (possibly from a previous technical support ticket or something), and/or a .htaccess file that sets php_value display_errors On. That may explain how the local value is overridden.

Archived