Community

9 hours ago, kmk said:

Why need discord if we have forum to post?

This is a good question and one I contemplated. The reason for discord is for instant and non-permanent feedback. The downside is the non-permanent side. While discord does keep a log of conversations it is much better to have a searchable record of most conversations on the forums.

I will give you an example of how discord can help though and has already begun helping.

I needed some assistance with creating a custom block that would create the filter effect on the default Discover so that I could have Discover defaulted as my users homepage. I also wanted to add the Status Update box so that people could also update their status on that homepage. A custom block would need to be created for that as well.

So, the folks on discord hammered away at that with many many threads of discussion that would have taken up pages on the forum. We are still working on getting it resolved. Once it is resolved, or we get stuck somewhere, then we will go to the forums and post our progress so that others can chip in where we could not complete or others can see the final results and how-to do it in one simple forum post.

Another example of how discord is great is a better place to have "General Chit-Chat". I never go to the general chit-chat forum here on IPS because it does not feel like chit chat the same way it does in discord. Discord is much more fun for that kind of thing in my opinion but I can understand why people like forums for this kind of thing. I think this plays well into the argument people have over why forums are becoming less used in today's society and things like Facebook are becoming more popular.

Another example is emergencies! If someone has an emergency break in their system they can go to discord first to see if there is someone on that could help them in a matter of seconds. If nothing comes of it, they head for support in the client area and/or threads on the forums and wait for a response.

36 minutes ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

This is a good question and one I contemplated. The reason for discord is for instant and non-permanent feedback. The downside is the non-permanent side. While discord does keep a log of conversations it is much better to have a searchable record of most conversations on the forums.

I will give you an example of how discord can help though and has already begun helping.

I needed some assistance with creating a custom block that would create the filter effect on the default Discover so that I could have Discover defaulted as my users homepage. I also wanted to add the Status Update box so that people could also update their status on that homepage. A custom block would need to be created for that as well.

So, the folks on discord hammered away at that with many many threads of discussion that would have taken up pages on the forum. We are still working on getting it resolved. Once it is resolved, or we get stuck somewhere, then we will go to the forums and post our progress so that others can chip in where we could not complete or others can see the final results and how-to do it in one simple forum post.

Another example of how discord is great is a better place to have "General Chit-Chat". I never go to the general chit-chat forum here on IPS because it does not feel like chit chat the same way it does in discord. Discord is much more fun for that kind of thing in my opinion but I can understand why people like forums for this kind of thing. I think this plays well into the argument people have over why forums are becoming less used in today's society and things like Facebook are becoming more popular.

Another example is emergencies! If someone has an emergency break in their system they can go to discord first to see if there is someone on that could help them in a matter of seconds. If nothing comes of it, they head for support in the client area and/or threads on the forums and wait for a response.

Forum users have to create Discord to use it(they have to create my forum account and discord account)? 

Yes, discord is not part of or tied into Invision Community at all. This discord channel is not an official Invision Community channel and they have not integrated into it. @AlexWright (the channel creator) has made the offer though that if any IPS staff want to take it over, he is fine with that.

It's definitely more of an informal chat room than anything else. And because its "live" in the sense that notifications can be immediate and a chat is just that, might help more with quick-to-answer things that can be solved quickly. Just seems like something people can and will use, but who knows?

6 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

The #ipsUnderground existed first. Muahahaha.

Oh, wait, isn't the first rule about fight club that you don't talk about fight club. CRAP! 

Never heard of it. IRC channel?

On 6/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, Aiwa said:

The #ipsUnderground existed first. Muahahaha.

Oh, wait, isn't the first rule about fight club that you don't talk about fight club. CRAP! 

he took his 20 lashes well 😛 btw it is #TheUnderground, we have some really nice member cardigans!