Picture Orientation on mobile image attachments

superaven

I tried searching the forum and couldn't find a recent discussion on the subjects, but how do I fix the orientation issue on mobile photo attachments?

I understand that on mobile all images are natively in landscape aspect ratio and there is an orientation exif data that lets the camera roll know that the image was taken in portrait aspect ratio, thereby rotating it to appear correctly. Seeing as how all social media platforms can detect what the intended orientation should be, I can only assume a modern, sophisticated forum system like IPS has a solution to this.

My goal is to setup our forum so that all images are hosted by us and not linked. Likewise, I'd like to ensure all location data (GPS) is stripped from attachments. I'd especially like photos taken with mobile, to display in the intended aspect ratio.

Can someone please explain how this is accomplished with IPS?

Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, superaven said:

Can someone please explain how this is accomplished with IPS?

It should work automatically. 
Note that this is done while the file is processed through the server’s image library (GD/ImageMagick). So if it doesn’t work, it might be related to the image library. 

Thank you @opentype

This is on the fringe of my skillset, but would those libraries be updated with new versions of PHP? I am getting some warnings due to running a pretty old version rather than the 7.x recommended, but concerned about messing up our existing forum by upgrading it. Old forum works fine and I have a ways to go to finish theming and then importing 6+ million old comments so didn't want to rock the boat.

That said, is the orientation an issue with the old library not having the function or whatever being called on by IPS? Is that how it works?

10 minutes ago, superaven said:

That said, is the orientation an issue with the old library not having the function or whatever being called on by IPS? Is that how it works?

This could be a reason. For more information, you can open a support ticket. The should know more details and they can out what is running on your server. 

Archived