Status Update

Riccardo

It will be nice to choose  to make visible or not messages that are wrote inside user's profiles...
Status update is different from a "personal message"..

In my opinion is not very kind to read a sort of "private communication" in the home of the forum..

Riccardo

Is this not clear enough? 

297642708_DanielF-InvisionCommunity2018-05-3112-54-54.png.15c14e2eee9371c05fe0ad1970762cfa.png

If not, then i'd suggest disabling the status update system entirely.  If your users can't read, then you'll need to force their hand and only give them one system or the other, status update or PM.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 7:56 PM, Aiwa said:

297642708_DanielF-InvisionCommunity2018-05-3112-54-54.png.15c14e2eee9371c05fe0ad1970762cfa.png

If not, then i'd suggest disabling the status update system entirely.  If your users can't read, then you'll need to force their hand and only give them one system or the other, status update or PM.

In my personal opinion "comments on profile" are different from "status update"

That's why there should be possible for the administrator to make visible or not comments on profile in the home page.

I think that the most part of the users don't expect to find a comment they wrote in a profile in the homepage..

On 5/31/2018 at 6:56 PM, Aiwa said:

Nope. I've seen email addresses, telephone numbers, personal enquiries, all posted publicly via status updates. People don't take the time to read descriptions like that, they see a field on a profile and proceed to use it.

I disable status updates on every installation. I don't see the point of the feature unless there's an attempt to mimic social media. ?

2 hours ago, The Heff said:

Nope. I've seen email addresses, telephone numbers, personal enquiries, all posted publicly via status updates. People don't take the time to read descriptions like that, they see a field on a profile and proceed to use it.

I disable status updates on every installation. I don't see the point of the feature unless there's an attempt to mimic social media. ?

Then you've done what I suggested in the rest of my post. 

2 hours ago, The Heff said:

I've seen email addresses, telephone numbers, personal enquiries, all posted publicly via status updates. People don't take the time to read descriptions like that, they see a field on a profile and proceed to use it.

Maybe one out of ten users doesn't understand those functions. Even if you add a red and bold message "this is public" they don't get it. Those annoying members always post in the wrong forums and produce 50% of the work load a community administrator is facing on.

Best would be a one time confirmation window when a user is first time submitting a status message like "this message will be a public message and every user can see this. Please confirm that you have read and understood this."

confirm.thumb.png.2b2102b442328a9bfd29c6e9e69ddd9f.png

3 hours ago, Riccardo said:

I think that the most part of the users don't expect to find a comment they wrote in a profile in the homepage..

Then turn off that block/widget...

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

Then you've done what I suggested in the rest of my post. 

I wasn't criticising your content, simply answering the one question you posed. I never got confused by the purpose of a status update myself, but have observed the lack of awareness in others. I think we're, rather unfortunately, becoming a culture that pays little attention to detail and so features like this are prone to misuse.

58 minutes ago, Riccardo said:

Status update is still a very nice idea

FWIW, I disabled them and not one person asked about them once I'd done so.

If there is no way to make some status updates privately posted to the person's wall, there should at least be a way to separate the updates to the whole community from the updates to friends and have them in different feed blocks. It would give a cleaner feel.

On 6/21/2018 at 4:42 AM, Riccardo said:

In my personal opinion "comments on profile" are different from "status update"

That's why there should be possible for the administrator to make visible or not comments on profile in the home page.

Just curious, how are "comments in profile" different from "status updates"? 

In IPS, there is only one: status updates.  And they're public.  

Archived