my grief

Chris Bell

4 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

when a CC can be verified account should be created regardless of order completion

the only way a cc can be verified is via purchase, even paypal like a 1 cent payment to verify your card, some companys take a dollar and will refund it when you comfirm the code they left with the purchase then they will verify your card

i dont really care how its implemented behind the scenes nor the end customer; it doesn't currently even exists in IPS core!
since its based on a more simplistic (80's solution ? ) this cannot be simply implemented,
the logic is simply not there to be used and need to be worked in to accommodate,
when you start tinkering  with that it becomes cumbersome as its integrated with other core features IPS is based on (constant catch 22's),

ATB
Chris

• Management

Chris - there's a lot of info flying around here, so I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your goal. We actually have a lot of customers now that don't buy the forums app at all. Some use Commerce only, but most use Pages and Commerce. As noted, the forums are not required for... well, anything beyond forum-y stuff. Unless you've required a purchase, registration should always be available at <yoururl>/register (https://invisioncommunity.com/register for example)

We totally agree about the gift card / guest scenario and it is in fact on our roadmap. I can't recall offhand if this is on the 4.4 list, but I can say there are many, many improvements to Commerce in 4.4. 

Don't let this sort of thing fester, Chris. Hit us up and pitch your use case and what you're trying to accomplish - some people use the software for some crazy cool things (the craziest that comes to mind is an ambulance dispatch system) - give us the chance to tell you if there's a built in solution, if we're able to make an accommodation or even if it's "sorry, no can do!" 

We run split installs ourselves -- this community powers the site and forums; another Commerce-only install powers the cart, support and client area. We have very few customizations (other than things like a hook to make PM view wider... ha! I slay me) to make that possible so we can upgrade with every release just like you do. 

Thank you Lindy ❤️
see... this why you're simply the best!
(i cant even fathom working with someone else; now stop suggesting pls it wont happen ? )
i am very very happy to learn these issues are on IPS road map,
i know with my background i'm a bit of an odd bird when it comes to systems and architecture;
it was bit like teething in our early days when we presented our architectural goals,
very happy to see more customers (IPS included) run customized split implementation these days :wub:

as i was under the impression most of this is still considered out of the box;
for most parts i try to smooth things out with our IPS developer who we trust!

i should probably be more efficient and much less stressing for me if i reported these issues as they arise,
the reality is with all good i intentions and i do mean that; it slips away during the day until you run into it again the next time,
and again its like a broken record i want to report it but somehow it slips away until things pile up to the point where a collection of many little things happens too often and we get something like this post :blush:

in my defense i have reported at least one or two minor issues recently,

ATB
Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I have nearly 30,000 conversations in my PM inbox, as the main admin on a forum that has been around for nearly two decades.  I often have to search these messages, and it's very painful in 3.x (yes, I will be updating to 4.x soon).  It would be extraordinarily useful if search results showed individual messages, versus conversations, at least as an option.  I have many conversations with over 1,000 messages in them, as do many others on my forum.  Private conversations are often used by a group of people to have a long-running conversation on some (usually narrow) subject they want to discuss.  

What does it mean that there's no pagination in the 4.x PM system?  Is it that all your conversations are shown in the small pane on the left and you can only scroll through them?  I can't even imagine how this will work with my giant inbox (as well as others who have been on the forum for years).   I'll need to do another test conversion and look through my PM inbox to see what's going on here.  

For what it's worth, I also do not like the layout of the 4.x PM system versus the one in 3.x.  Seems like there are better ways to layout the PM system to make it easier and friendlier to navigate, instead of constraining your list of PMs to a small window on the left.  When reading a PM thread, I'd really like the full width of the browser window to be used, as it is for the 3.x system and for reading message threads on 4.x, rather than the PM list always be visible, using valuable space.  I think I'm going to get a lot of pushback on this when I convert my forum.  

I've brought up the difficulty of searching private messages before. I have one conversation on this very site that has 4,138 messages and another that has 1,822. When I want to search them, it's pointless because all the search does is show conversations with the search term(s), then clicking the conversation doesn't take me to the relevant messages, it just takes me to all messages in the conversation and nothing highlighting the ones that matched the search.

I'm not even complaining, just saying it would be a very helpful feature to me if it were easier to get right to messages I am searching for. ?

On 5/20/2018 at 8:24 AM, Chris Bell said:

Since v4 it became about mobile app features we as the people who pay the bills don’t care about!

Well, to be fair this is very likely in response to Google's decision to privilege mobile pages (or mobile friendly? can't remember) in their search results, which catalysed a shift toward mobile users.

IMHO this is regressive, since like some others here 1) I have a site which is optimised for a desktop experience simply by virtue of its subject matter, and 2) I think that generally speaking the Internet is stupid enough without enabling mobile users who want no more information or engagement than they can deal with sitting on the tram on the way to work on walking to lunch or whatever.

But that's just my opinion - Google calls shots like these and they reverberate across companies, organisations and websites.

Archived