(NE) Pinned Topic Enhancements

49 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

No - when it is approved then you will see an update notice in the ACP.

If you want to chase them for it, go ahead. But I won't - it's not a critical bug fix, it's a new feature.

Hey,

No I just saw a lot of other applications being updated on the marketplace so I assumed something was up so inquired. I don't know how approvals are done - First come first or basis of urgency.

• 6 months later...
On 5/16/2018 at 2:56 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

• This plugin was created to extend functionality provided by @newbie LAC's existing (NB40) Separate Pinned Topics plugin and therefore requires that you have already purchased and use that plugin.
  • Do not purchase this plugin if you are not already using the above plugin

That is right at the top of my resource.

@Stuart Silvester @Daniel F

Could you process a refund for this please?

This is a very smart plug-in. I've only just noticed it but I purchased it immediately because we have too many sub- forums with long lists of pinned topics that take up too much space.

Here's a feature request – any chance that the mouse pointer could change shape rather than simply into a cursor when it hovers over the bar. Changing into a hand or changing colour or getting bigger – or a combination of any of those would be extremely helpful

At the moment, many people simply won't notice it which is a shame.

Edited by BankFodder

Also, maybe a little cosmetic glitch – which doesn't seem to affect anything.

Once you have clicked "click to expand", it changes to it "click to collapse" but then it doesn't change back and stays that way whether the topics are expanded or collapsed.

And by the way I love the animation where it sort of slides open rather than pulls up and down. Very nice

Edited by BankFodder
1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Here's a feature request – any chance that the mouse pointer could change shape rather than simply into a cursor when it hovers over the bar. Changing into a hand (default behaviour as of next release) or changing colour or getting bigger – or a combination of any of those would be extremely helpful

Feel free to use CSS to do it - I will not build in functionality for this, as it can already be done:

li.nbPinnedPin > div.ipsDataItem_main:hover{
	cursor: <YOUR CHOICE>;
}

And take your pick: https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/c/cursor/

What I will do, however, is change it so that it acts naturally and changes to a hand, acting as if it is a link.

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Once you have clicked "click to expand", it changes to it "click to collapse" but then it doesn't change back and stays that way whether the topics are expanded or collapsed.

Working fine for me:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.cab74c0d8b4084b64690660b76fd1b77.gif

Use pictures instead of words to describe the problem, please.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
7 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

li.nbPinnedPin > div.ipsDataItem_main:hover{
    cursor: s-resize;
}

I am not assisting you with this at this time.

11 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Also the expand/collapse text is definitely not working either on our test site or our live site

I am assisting you with this. Back later, got stuff to do.

Please don't spam the thread with attempts to do the CSS I've provided (I tested it, it works - you can try again after I release my new version)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great plug-in and very helpful for tidying up sub- forums where there are over-long list of pinned topics.

However I'm afraid that it's causing confusion on our forum because people simply don't realise that there is an expandable/collapsible bar.
Unfortunately the moment we had to disable the plug-in and I would suggest that not only should the mouse pointer change but also there will be great if the bar could change colour when one holds over it.

Also as I mentioned before, the expand/collapse label is not changing after it has first been expanded – but that wouldn't really make a difference to the noticeability of the expand/collapse function.

A different colour bar – and one which changes colour when the mouse cursor hovers over it and also a different mouse cursor – all of those would probably do the trick.

After that, anybody who still doesn't notice it… I think we should all give up!

18 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Also as I mentioned before, the expand/collapse label is not changing after it has first been expanded

Do you not want me to look into the following then? I did ask you for the following previously

On 1/23/2022 at 11:38 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Give me an account with access to have the following:

1. The IPS default theme
  2. No ads displayed

As for:

18 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I would suggest that not only should the mouse pointer change

I did state the following:

On 1/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Changed in next release.

When will that next release be? After I've looked into the issue that is in the first quote in this post, which I've been wating for a response on with the requested information.

If you don't like how I am working on this, please let me know and I will refund you.

Tell you what, as you've now disabled the plugin and I won't be able to do any testing on your own site - I'll install it on my test site and you can play around with it as you wish there, and bring up any bugs/enhancement requests based on how it behaves there. Will give you test account details via PM once done.

I'm not criticising you or your work. I understand that every piece of software has its own glitches – and scope for improvements for new features and it simply part of the territory.

As I've already said, the fact that the expand/collapse label doesn't work properly on our forum, is really not at all important. It's a very minor matter.

What I'm finding it difficult is that it's a great idea. Really useful – but for whatever reason, people aren't noticing and so I'm simply suggesting new features.

I know that you accepted the idea of a changing mouse cursor, I've now suggested additional feature increments. Obviously I don't do the kind of coding et cetera that you do so I don't know if it's possible – but they are simply feature suggestions that's all.

The fact that anybody suggests additional features to the work that you do shouldn't be taken as criticism of your work. In fact it's all about collaboration by customers for moving the product on and making it even more powerful.

All companies do this

Edited by BankFodder

I am not concerned about your request for new features, I'm happy to add those in.

What I am concerned about is that I want to investigate an issue you reported, I requested something from you on it, you didn't provide it. Instead, you come on with the above moan.

Yes or no - do you wish to proceed with assisting me with determine why the following is not working on your site:

33 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

the expand/collapse label is not changing after it has first been expanded

I'll ignore your attempt to teach me how companies work...don't go down that route with me, please.

If you think there is a glitch in respect of the expand/collapse function which is generally applicable then I'm happy to help if that is useful to you.

In terms of it being on our own forum, it's not such a problem that I want to spend time on it. However I would have thought that you would find it more useful to know about it than not know about it in case it occurs again somewhere. If you don't hear about this problem from anybody else then we can take it that it is something to do with our forum configuration. On the other hand, if the problem pops up somewhere else then at least you'll be able to say that you've heard about it before and that there might be a slightly more general issue to look at.

I give up - I'll state this...

The issue you are reporting doesn't occur in my testing - and it hasn't been reported by anyone else other than you.

If you want the following resolved, then we need to look into it on your site.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:27 AM, BankFodder said:

If you want it looked into then...

On 1/23/2022 at 11:38 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Give me an account with access to have the following:

1. The IPS default theme
  2. No ads displayed