Cloudflare slowing down my site

Have used cloudflare for quite a while now. Has noticed that I get bad results on pagespeed now the last time. Tried and paused clodflare. Got 2-3 times better results with regard to the loading of the page.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.7a75c38d339ad4b25d569342d0e1bae6.jpg

Is there anyone who has problems with cloudflare?

Cloudflare will provide you a super dns service with 150+ datacenters around the world (most users don't keep in mind how important is this one).

Also it can provide if not all almost all the optimizations that pagespeed offers to your server so there is no need to use pagespeed when you use Cloudflare as you can let them do the dirty job and you can save cpu and ram resources to use them for other tasks.

Just check the waterfall at the site that you are testing the speed and see where the delay is....

I think that could happen if a missing profile picture was displayed on board index, even though the page loads, it's trying to look for the picture which doesn't exist.

CloudFlare should theoretically make the site faster by decreasing the resolve time. And whatever option there's inside CF to speed up the site.

Are you using free or pro?

1 minute ago, David.. said:

I think that could happen if a missing profile picture was displayed on board index, even though the page loads, it's trying to look for the picture which doesn't exist.

CloudFlare should theoretically make the site faster by decreasing the resolve time. And whatever option there's inside CF to speed up the site.

Are you using free or pro?

Using free version!

On 5/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, jcdesign said:

Using free version!

One of the reasons why this could be happening is SSL certificates. Cloudflare has to make a couple of trips to your server to get your certificate information and verify it.  I found that this is what slowed down my sites.

Use a tool like https://tools.pingdom.com to check where you are bottle necking. You will be able to see from the waterfall graph what is taking a long time to load. You can select Load time from the selection box.

• 2 months later...

Is normal. No matter how many datacenters CloudFlare has. When your server datacenter has a fast backbone connection with the testing location it will be faster. However is it faster from other locations? Which is where cloudflare (potentially) shines. Also as it offers other features. We ended up not using cloudflare though. It all depends on requirements. For example if the majority of your site visitors are from ... for example USA. Then having a VPS / server in Europe from a pingtimes / user experience perspective ain't the smartest thing to do. You don't see that reflected in pingdom tools or Gmetrix. Its an indication. Don't be bothered with it too long though. Most real-life speed (from a user perspective) can be gained by being focussed on simple upgrade of hardware and/or webserver stack finetuning.

Just had a look at running OSXLatitude.com ... uh o D ranking with lots of tweaks to be made. Could probably improve things greatly by setting up a generic CDN and the rest of guidance. Reality is: thanks to our HHVM powered server it loads faster than most other sites that do follow all those tricks. Happy user + great content + social sharing triumphs oldskool SEO tweaking is my experience. 

Archived