Google Maps - New Google Maps Platform June 2018

sound

Google maps changes coming up, in effect from June 11, 2018,

https://mapsplatform.googleblog.com/2018/05/introducing-google-maps-platform.html

Beginning June 11, you’ll need a valid API key and a Google Cloud Platform billing account to access our core products. Once you enable billing, you will gain access to your $200 of free monthly usage to use for our Maps, Routes, and Places products. 

We're aware of this change and will be providing additional information to customers via documentation updates.

Note we also support MapBox as an alternative to Google Maps, which, while it does require you to sign up for an account, doesn't require billing information until you exceed the free tier.

1 hour ago, Rikki said:

Note we also support MapBox as an alternative to Google Maps, which, while it does require you to sign up for an account, doesn't require billing information until you exceed the free tier.

Trying that out now. 

But it looks like simply switching the API isn’t enough. 90% of my maps are missing after the change. If I edit and save the entry again, it usually works afterwards, but that is a quite cumbersome process. Is there or shouldn’t there be a background task doing the update?

5 hours ago, opentype said:

Trying that out now. 

But it looks like simply switching the API isn’t enough. 90% of my maps are missing after the change. If I edit and save the entry again, it usually works afterwards, but that is a quite cumbersome process. Is there or shouldn’t there be a background task doing the update?

Maps are not saved and you shouldn't have to edit and save or rebuild anything when changing map providers. I can toggle between the two locally and it simply changes which provider is used to draw the map when I refresh the page. I would encourage you to submit a ticket if you're seeing unexpected behavior.

16 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Maps are not saved and you shouldn't have to edit and save or rebuild anything when changing map providers. I can toggle between the two locally and it simply changes which provider is used to draw the map when I refresh the page. I would encourage you to submit a ticket if you're seeing unexpected behavior.

I checked what happened in the database. My Google maps were stored like this:

{"lat":null,"long":null,"addressLines":["Via Santa Chiara"],"city":"Urbino","region":"Marche","country":"IT","postalCode":"61029"}

After editing/saving with Mapbox activated it changed to:

{"lat":43.723348,"long":12.637614,"addressLines":["Via Santa Chiara"],"city":"Urbino","region":"Marche","country":"IT","postalCode":"61029"}

Seems like Mapbox requires the latitude/longitude values or something like that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @opentype

Did you happen to get any joy with this? I'm trying to embed a simple Mapbox and after entering the API key, its not working for me either.
The small static maps show when I look up an IP address but in Pages, when I insert the provided embed source code into a Page, nothing happens.

<div id="map" style="width: 100%; height: 500px;">
	&nbsp;
</div>
<script>
mapboxgl.accessToken = 'mytopsecretapikey';
var map = new mapboxgl.Map({
container: 'map',
style: 'mapbox://styles/mapbox/streets-v10'
});
</script>

The console shows:

ReferenceError: mapboxgl is not defined

I kind of assumed that once you set the API key up, you could just enter the source code they give you without having to enter anything in the header but I suppose it has to be supported in the list of embeddable links. Google Maps is, but Mapbox isn't.

20 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Thanks, I'll keep trying. It doesn't work if you embed the JS and CSS in the page, or as an Custom Article Block.

Setting your site to use Mapbox will result in Mapbox being used for the maps we generate. To embed their custom maps it looks like you need to add a javascript include from them first - that's a separate thing.

Thanks Brandon.

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

Setting your site to use Mapbox will result in Mapbox being used for the maps we generate. To embed their custom maps it looks like you need to add a javascript include from them first - that's a separate thing.

Will Mapbox be added to the list of embeds like Google Maps was?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 7:09 AM, Rikki said:

We're aware of this change and will be providing additional information to customers via documentation updates.

taking it that you be updating your google map interface as well as invision current set up doesn't allow domain restrictions or ips etc  to be switched on

which may become a major problem come June 11 as it could result in our google accounts been billed for others use!

2 minutes ago, sound said:

taking it that you be updating your google map interface as well as invision current set up doesn't allow domain restrictions or ips etc  to be switched on

which may become a major problem come June 11 as it could result in our google accounts been billed for others use!

Domain restrictions are set in Google’s interface. 

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

Domain restrictions are set in Google’s interface. 

yes thats right

and if you set them there then  invision google map interface doesnt work! It's a different key !

Had submitted a ticket ages ago about this and invision acknowledged saying it will fix in the future

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

I always had this set and never had any problems with it and I seriously doubt that if there were (temporary?) problems they remained unfixed since “ages”. 

have seen your recent post about your lat and lngs not being generated - this was due to you switching this on

there is more than one api key needed for google maps api to work correctly, go and have a look if doubt this

ask can you now drop out of this topic  as am after info/views from invision not your 'views'

3 minutes ago, sound said:

ask can you now drop out of this topic  as am after info/views from invision not your 'views'

If you want official IPS statements, open a ticket. If you open post in a public forum, you can get public comments. That’s how forums work. And pointing out that for me adding domain restriction did not stop Google maps from working entirely is a fact, not a “view”. So be careful what you claim about me. As many in this forum know: making false claims about me will not make me “drop out” but only get me started. ? 

2 hours ago, sound said:

is it possible for an invision reply on this when ready

thanks

the ticket number was 973889 dated feb 2nd 2017

• 3 weeks later...

I keep getting this error

That API key is not valid or does not have the Google Maps JavaScript API and/or Google Static Maps API enabled and/or Google Maps Geocoding API enabled. Make sure you have followed all of the steps in the setup instructions. You may have to wait a few minutes after enabling the API for it to take effect.

9 hours ago, SJ77 said:

That API key is not valid or does not have the Google Maps JavaScript API and/or Google Static Maps API enabled and/or Google Maps Geocoding API enabled. Make sure you have followed all of the steps in the setup instructions. You may have to wait a few minutes after enabling the API for it to take effect.

You have to have all of the requested APIs for it to function. Also make sure you have the correct domains set up in the API key you are using, as blocking a domain there can cause errors or issues. If you're running a server, use the server IP instead of whitelisted domains.

Edit: Furthermore, you may have to "activate" the project with Google and the new billing system. There should be a link on the project page for Billing. You can also find Billing under the menu iirc. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 4:16 AM, SJ77 said:

I'm getting this same error. Is there a solution?

Thanks

Archived