Pages SuperBlocks (Support Topic)

14 minutes ago, sadams101 said:

On mobile I've noticed some formatting issues on the main category page:

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/?show=categories

I realize that not everyone is going to have these issues, as my site is quite large, old, and probably has way too many categories and sub-categories (I will be trying to tackle this issue soon). However, the design of this template should probably still take this into account.

Pretty sure that’s an issue with your theme. To be sure: You can temporarily apply a stock IPS 4.x theme and it will probably start looking okay. 
Your theme seems to override how “sub list entries” work globally and that doesn’t work well with many entries. There is not much I can do about that. 

P.S. You are posting in the wrong Support Topic. 😉 

7 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Does Lazy Load work with superblocks?

No. SuperBlocks doesn’t use regular inline images. All images are loaded in containers with predefined sizes. So page rendering could always start before there wasn’t an image available. So lazy loading isn’t really suitable or necessary in this case. 

Edited by opentype
7 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Question about superblocks on pages in IPS 4.4 as I am currently running Beta. Does Lazy Load work with superblocks? It appears that the whole page loads all images rather than waiting to load images below the visual fold. Here's an example or page I have created using pages with superblocks:

https://www.christforums.com/

I too am running lazy load, but in 4.3 (it's a custom solution that works really well, and is easy to install), and have also noticed that superblocks and supergrid don't work with it. It looks like these plugins load the images in the background. I wish they worked with lazy load.

23 minutes ago, opentype said:

No. SuperBlocks doesn’t use regular inline images. All images are loaded in containers with predefined sizes. So page rendering could always start before there wasn’t an image available. So lazy loading isn’t really suitable or necessary in this case. 

One of the most desirable features in IPS 4.4 for me personally is Lazy Load. I generally try to limit images on the front page because of page size bloating and resulting increased page speed, with lazy load the option of placing images below the visual fold has the added benefit of a page appearing much smaller than it is on initial load. 

Just a future feature request. ☺️

Edited by Christforums

I wish I could use the super block (configured for downloads) twice on the same page (2 different configurations of the block)

first block configured to be 1 listing. (beautiful)

second block configured for 5 listings

Problem is since I am using start date as the sort option I will get that first listing in both blocks. Duplicated.

I really need an option to skip 1st item in list for the block configured for 5. This will let me use the NEXT 5  (for a total of 6 on my page)

Just an idea, thank you

3 hours ago, SJ77 said:

second issue. Just realized that when using the 5 list option and viewing in mobile it only shows 3. It skips the 2 most recent files.

Can you help?

Thank you 🙂

It’s a feature, not a bug. To make it mobile friendly in regards to page size and page load time. 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:26 AM, opentype said:

Any plans on implementing Lazy Load or are your services for hire because I consider this a desirable feature?

I tried to contact you by private message but it appears that you do not accept private messages.

I'd like whatever content including superblocks to utilize lazy load below the visual fold.

Edited by Christforums
40 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Any plans on implementing Lazy Load or are your services for hire because I consider this a desirable feature?

Not really. It would require significant code changes, without doing much. SuperBlocks only uses container background images, which don’t slow down page rendering and then the browser fills in the empty slots dynamically. That already works nicely. Depending on the specific page, LazyLoad can even make a SuperBlocks page significantly worse, since instead of the current dynamic loading the content will only ever load when the user scrolls further, causing unnecessary delay, possibly many times per page. I tested it. While it makes a lot of sense for forum topics filled with GIFs and videos, I couldn’t see much improvement for my Pages uses. 

Just now, opentype said:

Not really. It would require significant code changes, without doing much. SuperBlocks only uses container background images, which don’t slow down page rendering and then the browser fills in the empty slots dynamically. That already works nicely. Depending on the specific page, LazyLoad can even make a SuperBlocks page significantly worse, since instead of the current dynamic loading the content will only ever load when the user scrolls further, causing unnecessary delay, possibly many times per page. I tested it. While it makes a lot of sense for forum topics filled with GIFs and videos, I couldn’t see much improvement for my Pages uses. 

Thank you for your thoughrough explanation!

Edited by Christforums

Hi,

This was working fine before upgrading to IPS 4.4

We have updated the superblocks plugin to the latest version on market place.

When we try to add a new entry we get this error:

SELECT core_follow.* FROM `core_follow` WHERE follow_app='cms' AND follow_area='records2' AND follow_rel_id=16 LIMIT 0,25
IPS\Db\Exception: Total count attempted on a query not ran with SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS (-100)
#0 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/sources/Theme/Theme.php(610) : eval()'d code(1728): IPS\Db\_Select->count(true)
#1 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/modules/front/database/record.php(310): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_supergrid_recorddisplay->record(Object(IPS\cms\Records2), '\n<div data-cont...', NULL, NULL)
#2 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\cms\modules\front\database\_record->manage()
#3 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#4 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/sources/Databases/Dispatcher.php(347): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#5 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/widgets/Database.php(128): IPS\cms\Databases\_Dispatcher->run()
#6 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(1281): IPS\cms\widgets\_Database->render()
#7 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(2210): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->getWidgets()
#8 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(112): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->output()
#9 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(43): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->view()
#10 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->manage()
#11 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(33): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#12 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->execute()
#13 /home/badhabi5/public_html/.com/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#14 {main}

Edited by Unlucky
5 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Hi,

This was working fine before upgrading to IPS 4.4

We have updated the superblocks plugin to the latest version on market place.

SuperBlocks uses just blocks. It cannot throw such errors regarding adding entries. 

I assume you also have SuperGrid running and didn’t update the SuperGrid templates to the most recent version. 

51 minutes ago, opentype said:

I assume you also have SuperGrid running and didn’t update the SuperGrid templates to the most recent version. 

Thanks for the pointer I had not done that and that issue is now resolved.

One thing I noticed though getting superblocks working just now.

On the upgrade notes for this release you said - " Only the settings plugin needs to be updated. No changes to the templates necessary.  "

However I could not get super blocks working properly until I deleted all of the old templates and reinstalled them.

16 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

On the upgrade notes for this release you said - " Only the settings plugin needs to be updated. No changes to the templates necessary.  "

However I could not get super blocks working properly until I deleted all of the old templates and reinstalled them.

Please pay attention to the product names. SuperBlocks did not need updates to its templates (i.e. block templates). The incompatibility is in the SuperGrid templates and the product page clearly says that the templates need to be replaced. SuperBlocks and SuperGrid are completely separate products. 

Edited by opentype
19 minutes ago, opentype said:

Please pay attention to the product names. SuperBlocks did not need updates to its templates (i.e. block templates). The incompatibility is in the SuperGrid templates and the product page clearly says that the templates need to be replaced. SuperBlocks and SuperGrid are completely separate products.

Hi,

I absolutely understand that 100%

We got supergrid working fine and performed the upgrade fine apart from that rogue template showing up in the list as I reported in the other support topic.

I was referring to a completely new separate issue.

I am referring specifically to Supeblocks - even though you stated it does not need the templates updated it would not display correctly on our website when we followed the instructions and just updated the plugin.

We decided to remove all of the templates and start from scratch. Only then after deleting all templates and reinstalling them did it work fine.

I have no idea why, I was just letting you know in case anybody else hits the same issue.

4 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

I am referring specifically to Supeblocks

Okay. But it is still not true. You clearly stated “adding new records”, which has nothing to do with block templates. And the error message confirms that by pointing to the “supergrid_recorddisplay”, which is an action in regards to Pages databases, not blocks. So none of those things have anything to do with SuperBlocks and the SuperBlocks templates still do not need updating. I need to make this clear, so other clients don’t do that, even though it doesn’t do anything. 

53 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Thanks for the pointer I had not done that and that issue is now resolved.

I posted a thank you (as per above) saying we had resolved that issue.

This was a completely separate new issue which I was bringing to your attention.

We honestly have no reason to lie.

I’m not saying you are lying, I’m saying you are mistaken (about the cause and resolution of these issues). That’s it. 
I understand that it is resolved for you, but I still need to make it clear, so other clients don’t draw the wrong conclusions from reading the posts above. 

Perhaps we should have made the two issues clearer or posted two separate entries. That is our fault.

The issue we had after your heads up had nothing to do with adding records. That issue was fixed following your heads up.

The new issue we encountered was the page which had the superblocks on it was not showing / displaying the super blocks correctly on the page.

Hi,

Regarding the clubs section, is it possible to have the date showing the date of the latest club update rather than the club creation date?

It gives the appearance there has not been a lot of activity and one of my members has queried this.

If not, how could we hide the date completely?

Thanks

Could it be possible then please to update the text to say club created on: instead

Our index page is showing dates from july last year (circled in red) which is why my member is complaining.

If not could you at least give us a pointer how to edit this ourselves so we can keep this member happy?

Thanks

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.db6902236758ffd3ba99b240c7ac115f.jpg

I'm struggling to use super blocks for my database on my home page.  If I remove the database block, the superblock block that feeds from that database will not show any records. If I leave the database block on the page then both superblocks and database work, but I then have duplication of records on that page.  

How can I point my database to this page but hidden so that superblocks works?

Thanks 🙂