Speed optimizations: What're your tips & Tricks?

I've been going through what is hopefully a phase where I'm trying to make the site as quick as possible. My goal is to make it as fast as the Invision Community site, though that might not be possible because of all of the images and custom theme on my site.

Thought I'd make this thread so that we can share some ideas :).

• Compressing images: here's a good website: http://compressimage.toolur.com/
  • Using Cloudflare
    • cache, css minification, mobile optimizer, image compressor
    • argo routing rather than setting up the website on multiple webservers around the world since my community isn't small but it's not HUGE.
    • $20 plan's benefits (started with free which was an improvement but I decided to try the $20 plan).
  • Switching to nginx (though this was mainly because we were having some issues with Litespeed).
  • Upgrading PHP to 7.2 (holy fudge it's so much faster than 5.x)
  • Upgrading to IPS 4.3 (seems like the IPS team made a lot of under the hood optimizations.. thank you guys!!!)

What about you guys?

On 4/28/2018 at 10:28 AM, SecondSight said:

Hello !

I stopped having problems when I switched to InnoDB for all of my database tables.

Forgot to mention this one as well, same here. 

Also switching to MariaDB made my site faster. 

On 4/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, SecondSight said:

Hello !

I stopped having problems when I switched to InnoDB for all of my database tables.

Helped mine no end too especially leaderboard issues I was having. Personally though I've never been sure of the best htaccess setup to have for expires and all that stuff

On 4/30/2018 at 7:40 AM, HanMan5000 said:

Forgot to mention this one as well, same here. 

Also switching to MariaDB made my site faster. 

When converting MyISAM to InnoDB, is it just a case of switching the Engine from one to the other?

I use HeidiSQL, so can I just switch and the save? There isn't anything more to do is there?

Archived