Broken Images Storage Settings

I changed my storage settings from Amazon S3 to File System and now all of my images are broken. Is there something I need to run to let the system know to use the local file system images instead? Do the images not also get stored on the local system? If not, I will have to reactivate my S3 and will change it back to S3 (hopefully that will restore them).

What Alex said.

Also: Don’t change the storage location unless you have a full backup. The good thing about the way the files are stored is that the location and the file names are independent. If something goes wrong while moving, you can just manually upload your backup to the new location and it will work. 

On 4/24/2018 at 5:25 PM, Joel R said:

You don't have to have a CDN, and you can use any CDN provider you want.  Keep in mind that a CDN service will incur extra costs. 

Well, I want to host my images on s3 because the bandwidth costs are much higher on my host. I am hoping that the amazon cdn bandwidth costs will be ever lower than s3's are and then I can just store everything on s3 as a kind of running backup system (because storage for backups is also expensive on my host).

Check all locations you used previously (and backups if available) to see if you have the files somewhere. If you do, upload them manually to the active storage location. 

You can also establish an “FTP-like” connection to S3 and browse the file system there. 

Yeah, make sure to find a backup where the files work and are not 0 Byte. If you can’t find a working copy of your files, there is not much you can do. You could only delete the file references from the MySQL member database so the broken images are at least gone. 

Well, lesson learned. Don’t touch the storage settings unless you have a backup. 

I once messed it up by just hitting save without making any changes. It then tried to move the files to the same location and afterwards deleted the old copy, which was also the new copy. ?

Okay. What happens to all the thumbnails that are produced by IPB that are also showing as 354 bytes? Will IPB recognize that the image has been replaced and rebuild those thumbnails? 

Also, s3 renames files which makes this a big pain. It would be nice if I could just replace the images through the IPB attachments area of the CP. 

3 minutes ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

Okay. What happens to all the thumbnails that are produced by IPB that are also showing as 354 bytes? Will IPB recognize that the image has been replaced and rebuild those thumbnails? 

No, but you can trigger rebuilding thumbnails. A function usually meant for when you change the image size settings. 

3 minutes ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

Also, s3 renames files which makes this a big pain. 

No. Not that I am aware of. I just checked your site and picked a random broken avatar:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/ttcommunityoffload/monthly_2017_09/W.png.bfd90e6f141219397d60c9655b42ec5c.png

The first part is the storage location: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/ttcommunityoffload/
The second part is the image path: monthly_2017_09/W.png.bfd90e6f141219397d60c9655b42ec5c.png

Nothing about the file path depends on Amazon storage or any other type of storage location. That’s what I said before. You set the storage location and the you just need to have that file there. It doesn’t matter how it got there.

44 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I'm sure they have a good reason.  

The point of the obfuscation is to make file names unique. People could upload images with the same name. What should happen? Overwrite the previous files? It needs to be unique every time. The long file names makes sure of that. And this is added by the IPS software. it never changes and it doesn’t depend on the storage location. 

Archived