What is the best way to TEST 4.3?

SJ77

I want to make sure 4.3 works on my site before I go live with it.

Currently I don't have a proper test environment (something I have been meaning to address for a long while)

This issue is that I have a very big DB and even bigger attachments folder.  ~500GB so I can't exactly copy my site somewhere else easily.

Is there some way I can set the site up on my local machine and perhaps just copy over this months attachments only?

I imagine it would be ok to have broke attachment links in most places as long as it's just a test environment.

I have windows. .. WAMP?

Advice please.. Thank you ?

16 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I have windows. .. WAMP?

Wamp is the right decision  

16 hours ago, SJ77 said:

Is there some way I can set the site up on my local machine and perhaps just copy over this months attachments only?

Do you need these attachments? 

If your test is only about IPS versions and applications/plugins then you can simply do a fresh install in localhost to test apps/pluigns, new ips updates...etc

Otherwise if you really need your exact live website in localhost then here is what you need to do

piece of cake...

• Install a fresh and the same ips suite version of your website in localhost. 
  • Download your live website database file.
  • Import the database you downloaded to your localhost installation database.
  • After that download the /uploads folder from your website and paste it into the localhost installation,

I can add more detailed info later but it is really a piece of cake ? 

45 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

don't have cpanel, I am using XAMPP
I did create a database in phpmyadmin

ok ... did you select the database when ran the ipb install (assuming installing and not upgrading) as everything would then be added to conf_global.php file

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 6:28 AM, SJ77 said:

That's the problem . It never gives me the option, just immediately fails first click.

THis is the same problem I'm having, but I get a different error message.

Daisy fresh install of 4.3.1.

The only difference I can think of is that I'm using MariaDB, but I've changed the port number in conf_global (assuming I need to), created the database and DB user, added user to DB with all privileges, etc.

Archived