Community

38 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

I am having more and more issues with windows. Now when I wake the pc up it takes forever for it to let me type in my pw.

Quickly get the new SSD and clone to it the contents.

Out the current one, in the new one.

Done.

1 hour ago, Misi said:

Quickly get the new SSD and clone to it the contents.

Out the current one, in the new one.

Done.

I thought about doing that, but I ended up buying a retail copy of windows because you're not really "supposed to" use an old copy of an OEM copy on a new machine. (Not that it would really be figured out, anyway, but oh well... I spent on it, anyway).

I actually don't have a whole lot I need to copy off anyway, really. But I better be sure I at least have backups because I can't believe this HDD even still works.

2 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

you're not really "supposed to" use an old copy of an OEM copy on a new machine.

In the above case you would not have a new machine.

You would replace only the old hard disk. You are allowed to  do that.

58 minutes ago, Misi said:

In the above case you would not have a new machine.

You would replace only the old hard disk. You are allowed to  do that.

But I am talking about a HDD in a whole different pc. I haven't started building the new one yet. My issues are for the older build. So the entire build would be different and MS stores info based on the overall system.

Posted (edited)

lol. I have got to flat out come to a final decision today because some mobos go off sale.

I have pretty much decided to just build it with the 2700x rather than have to sell off the cpu and wait for the 3700x... now I am just deciding whether to use an itx mobo or atx one.

I'm going to use 2 ssds and the itx mobo limits the gpu to x8. The atx one doesn't limit the gpu, just limits the secondary ssd's speeds (as does basically any mobo). So really my main decision to make today is smaller build with more limitations or bigger build and pay more as well...

Then after that I have to decide which ssd to get for the secondary since the speeds are limited on a second one.

Then FINALLY build the thing before it's obsolete. lol.

Edited by Midnight Modding

6 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Then after that I have to decide which ssd to get for the secondary since the speeds are limited on a second one.

You do not really need a second SSD. A good 2TB+ HDD as the secondary would be sufficient.

A 512GB SSD with a 3TB HDD is more than enough for me.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Misi said:

You do not really need a second SSD. A good 2TB+ HDD as the secondary would be sufficient.

A 512GB SSD with a 3TB HDD is more than enough for me.

That's what I was originally going to do and is probably the smartest thing, but I figured I'd go with a secondary ssd to cut even more noise out by having a system with no HDD and also be using the strengths of a 970 pro more by having ssd to ssd transfers. (getting a much lower cost one for the secondary, though.) So I am paying more for less space than I originally was going to have... Probably a bad idea, but oh well.

I technically could still change my mind, though, because I haven't bought the second ssd. Or I could buy a sata ssd for the secondary one (I think... actually seems like one m2 slot only takes a pcie one) and then wouldn't be gimping my gpu...

I probably made a bad decision on mobo, too. I bought a b450 instead of the x470 that was rated higher. I think I am big time overthinking this all, though, as I barely ever use my pc for anything demanding. It's not far from the top of b450 tier, though, and due to various other parts affected it saves me $80 and allows n itx build. I felt the 32gb MAX for itx was ok in my situation. When I need more, it would be time to get a whole new build, I am thinking.

Any thoughts on what I should due since my RAM isn't on the mobo QVL? Part of me thinks I should get one definitely on it and lose money by selling off the one I bought long ago before I realized that not all RAM works well on all mobos. But people are mostly telling me I should try mine and see.... but that lowers resell value. I've ended up ihn mess after mess on this because I had never built a pc before.

If the speed of your non-QVL RAM is well below the limits the mobo can support, try it and see. 

But if it's right near the upper limit, I'd always go with RAM that is on the vendor's QVL list, personally.

I've always used listed RAM simply because I don't want the possible headache.

1 hour ago, Mark H said:

If the speed of your non-QVL RAM is well below the limits the mobo can support, try it and see. 

But if it's right near the upper limit, I'd always go with RAM that is on the vendor's QVL list, personally.

I've always used listed RAM simply because I don't want the possible headache.

Thanks. That's what I should have done, but it being my first build I didn't realize there was even an issue. I thought you pick RAM, it works at advertised speeds on all mobos, finished.

The listed speed is mighty close to the limits. I believe the mobo limit is 3466 and this is 3200. However, the RAM manufacturer says it's unlikely to have an issue getting to 2933 (I asked them about that speed specifically, because on some mobos even QVL RAM is shown to run at 2933 even if the speed listed is above that) and that basically if someone knows what they are doing in the BIOS they could still get kits running at their best.

I'm still trying to decide, really. I could get a kit that is also 32gb and either 3000 or 3200 for a pretty good price, but I'd lose a ton reselling this, so I don't know...

From now on, if I build another one, I will leave RAM until absolutely last where I am sure of my mobo and its QVL.

11 hours ago, Mark H said:

I've always used listed RAM simply because I don't want the possible headache

I have had this at least once, a few years back when trying to find suitable server ram (ECC stuff) , cut a long story short I did end up eventually hunting down some listed ram which worked properly rather than the usual "compatible with" used stuff found elsewhere.

2 hours ago, AndyF said:

I have had this at least once, a few years back when trying to find suitable server ram (ECC stuff) , cut a long story short I did end up eventually hunting down some listed ram which worked properly rather than the usual "compatible with" used stuff found elsewhere.

And I think one listed on the list is on sale right now for $170, whereas for mine I paid about $340, ie twice the cost, about a year ago. The one I have is better, though, if it "does" work as listed. it's faster and with better timings.

So I don't know... But I do know that my pc is about to drive me flat out crazy if I don't hurry and build a new one. You should see just how bad it's acting. lol. It will be working just fine and then suddenly out of nowhere it will keep locking up and take literally 5 minutes to do thigns that normally take 5 seconds.

And the person who is going to help me build it won't be available for a little while... but I need to be getting my final parts and be all ready. I don't really think I should try it by myself sicne I've never built and my vision sucks. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Midnight Modding said:

twice the cost, about a year ago

Usually the case, prices drop until it becomes obsolete then after a couple of years when stocks have dried up the price can rise. That RD-Ram might now fall into this category if its the one I'm thinking of, where you needed a 'blank' if you did not have a mirrored pair.

Its not that long ago (well it was really I suppose) I was paying £1 or £2 per MB (yes megabyte) for PC-66 sticks... :D