Community

Someone convince me whether to get a 8700, 8700k, ryzen 1700, or ryzen 2700.

I don't game on a pc, so most people say get an AMD. But I'll probably get an intel, anyway... I'd wait for a coffee lake refresh or the 9th gen, but I already bought some parts that will sit ehre wasting their warranties away if I take too long. lol.

I doubt anyone can convince me which to get, since I know all the pros and cons of each, but anyway... My thinking is the 10% or so that a ryzen may help as a workstation is outweighed by everything else being 10-20% faster with intel.

In the past, people would say AMD is the better bang for the buck, but they can't really use price as a reason anymore, as the 2700 is the same price as the intel 8700 and the ryzens have no igpu, so it's an automatic cost there (with gpu prices ridiculous).

Edited by Midnight Modding

Oh man. Now there is a ryzen 1700 and b350 combo for $245 and I was all set to spend around $400-$450 on either an i7 8700 and z370 or a amd 2700x and x470 mobo. Now I am really torn. Could save $200, but the 1700 is at least 20% slower than those other processors and I am not comfortable overclocking, either.

Sigh. I had already bought 32GB of RAM and even though everyone online claims it will work fine with a 2700x, G.Skill says I'd have to get a high end motherboard for it to work well with AMD. So I don't know what to believe now, but if people on forums are wrong, it's not like they can undo my big loss in money if I use it with AMD and it doesn't work.

I mean.... if you go by the QVL, there isn't much even listed for AMD motherboards. Barely anything is actually designed for AMD.

Typically it's not the amount of RAM that you have rather the clock speed of the RAM that ends up being the issue. So more often than not It's just a matter of the clock speed that the chip and/or mobo can handle.

So are you sure G.Skill says you need a new Mobo to use 32 gigs of RAM and not the use the full clock speed of the RAM that you purchased? 

1 hour ago, ADKGamers said:

Typically it's not the amount of RAM that you have rather the clock speed of the RAM that ends up being the issue. So more often than not It's just a matter of the clock speed that the chip and/or mobo can handle.

So are you sure G.Skill says you need a new Mobo to use 32 gigs of RAM and not the use the full clock speed of the RAM that you purchased? 

yeah I know. I wasn't saying the size mattered. I only mentioned the size in order to point out it would be a lot of money lost if it doesn't perform well.

It's 32gb trident z 3200 CAS15 samsung b die. I'm just worried it would perform poorly enough to where the extra money spent to get that quality would be wasted.

They seriously told me that if i wanted it to perform well with AMD, I'd need something on the level of an asus x470 that is on sale for $299. No way I am spending that on a mobo. And even that isn't listed on their QVL. They list solely intel ones.

So it's either buy it and risk it, where obviously none of this is returnable, get an intel 8700 or 8700k, or wait and hope the 9700 and 9700k release this year (and hopefully 8 cores). And I'd prefer not fooling with a cooler and thermal paste and intel is known for using horrible ones.

I think these are just marketing things, as long as the MOBO manufacter advises that it's product works with the speed your RAM is advised it should just work. And for the past Ryzen gen ( 1700, 1800 ... ) I read that it's much better to use high frequency RAM and as the second gen ( 2700, 2700x... ) is just a refresh I suppose thats still the case. That being said, there is no MOBO that will run your RAM at that speed with put some BIOS tweaking ( advised as OC ), even my 2400MHz kit that I use ran at 2133MHz before I enablef the X.M.P from the BIOS.

19 hours ago, sylent- said:

I think these are just marketing things, as long as the MOBO manufacter advises that it's product works with the speed your RAM is advised it should just work. And for the past Ryzen gen ( 1700, 1800 ... ) I read that it's much better to use high frequency RAM and as the second gen ( 2700, 2700x... ) is just a refresh I suppose thats still the case. That being said, there is no MOBO that will run your RAM at that speed with put some BIOS tweaking ( advised as OC ), even my 2400MHz kit that I use ran at 2133MHz before I enablef the X.M.P from the BIOS.

Some people say enabling tje profile immediately has it running at the listed speed and some say it doesn't. So it must vary. I do have samsung b die, which is supposedly known for working well with ryzen, though.

I passed up a great deal for the 2700x during ebay's sitewide sale, because I just couldn't bring myself to risk one from a store not authorized as a dealer... Multiple people have said AMD doesn't ask where you bought from, though, so maybe I should have done it!

Well man, to be fair, if you keep waiting for better hardware you'll never buy anything, I was exactly like you when I bought my 6700K, waiting for the next gen 7700K maybe it brings something way better, or AMD has something mindblowing ( which kinda had, Ryzen was and still is a big deal ) but at the end of the day the 6700K does all I need since I'm not yet a heavy user, you know just some web developing related stuff, even that not so sophisticated, and gaming with my friends kinda daily when I'm at home. The point is, just look at the market, search the one that fits your use for now, and just get it, anyway nowdays hardware is days ahead of software and any "highend" CPU will do just fine for some years.

Edited by sylent-

Most mobos list clock speeds they support, with the higher clock speeds having an *. The * meaning overclocking required to use that speed. 

Crap or get off the pot, technology is outdated before it's delivered to your door, if ordered online. You'll never stay caught up, just future proof yourself as much as you can. 

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

Most mobos list clock speeds they support, with the higher clock speeds having an *. The * meaning overclocking required to use that speed. 

Crap or get off the pot, technology is outdated before it's delivered to your door, if ordered online. You'll never stay caught up, just future proof yourself as much as you can. 

Sigh. I know what speeds they say they support. In reality, for amd processors people have had tons of problems, as I said. It's not as simple as "it says it supports 3200, so I'm fine". For intel mostly you can do that, but not for amd. As I already said, manufacturers have said the same thing... they can't guarantee it for amd.

Also, the irony with that last statement is I am the one always telling people that.... Others are telling everyone wait until next year and I point out they say that every year. In this case, however, it's the fact that it may only be a couple months until another intel is out.

19 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

In reality, for amd processors people have had tons of problems, as I said.

No, in reality you're just looking for the stories of people who have problems with AMD because you want to make yourself think that Intel is the only choice out there and that you should go with that. I've used AMD since I started PC gaming which was over 10 years ago (don't want to age myself much more than that. . haha), and never had issues. I also recently upgraded my outdated rig to a Ryzen build and have had no issues doing anything on that rig either.

Stop overthinking this whole process, it's really not as bad as you're making it right now. 

11 minutes ago, ADKGamers said:

No, in reality you're just looking for the stories of people who have problems with AMD because you want to make yourself think that Intel is the only choice out there and that you should go with that. I've used AMD since I started PC gaming which was over 10 years ago (don't want to age myself much more than that. . haha), and never had issues. I also recently upgraded my outdated rig to a Ryzen build and have had no issues doing anything on that rig either.

Stop overthinking this whole process, it's really not as bad as you're making it right now. 

Look it up. It was not just some rare cases, it was widespread issues with people being able to get anything running anywhere near 3000 or 3200. And, again even the manufacturers tell me not to use it on amd if I want it performing at its best.

I also got an amd gpu, only to find out later that a program I want to use doesn't work properly when using it.

34 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

Look it up. It was not just some rare cases, it was widespread issues with people being able to get anything running anywhere near 3000 or 3200. And, again even the manufacturers tell me not to use it on amd if I want it performing at its best.

I also got an amd gpu, only to find out later that a program I want to use doesn't work properly when using it.

Welcome to the internet where you can look up anything to make it fit your agenda. I'm not saying there's never "issues" for AMD, but any product you buy there's always the chance that there's issues. Honestly it seems like you made up your mind because you never even bothered asking me what I'm running with my AMD rig even after I told you I have a Ryzen rig and am not having any issues, so with that being said I'm done here.  

Best of luck with your purchase!

Edited by ADKGamers

12 minutes ago, ADKGamers said:

Welcome to the internet where you can look up anything to make it fit your agenda. I'm not saying there's never "issues" for AMD, but any product you buy there's always the chance that there's issues. But honestly it seems like you made up your mind because you never even bothered asking me what I'm running with my AMD rig even after I told you I have a Ryzen rig and am not having any issues, so with that being said I'm done here.  

Best of luck with your purchase!

Unless you're using the exact same model  of RAM and cpu and motherboard, it wouldn't matter, as there are many people with each speed that have it work fine and there are many with each sped that have problems.

Again, manufacturers told me not to expect it to run at its best on AMD cpus. So believe what you want about me having some agenda, but criticizing someone for listening to manufacturers is pretty ridiculous. G.Skill, Asrock, and AMD have ALL three stated if an exact model of RAM isn't on a motherboard's QVL then you can't assume the memory will work at its listed speed on it.

This is far different than the few issues on intel. In a rare case, someone may have memory issues with intel. For amd, anywhere you look people are having issues. It's not just a case of searching on google. You can go to any forum on the matter, reddit, anywhere and see it and you won't find many topics about RAM not working properly on intel.

Why do you think G.Skill made a big announcement late last year about RAM being available that was optimized for AMD? Because so many complained about issues with previous RAM when using with amd.

I'm in such a mess. haha. I bought the 2700x and a x470 mobo, due to a good deal, but really was leaning intel. And I bought a gtx 1060, even though I already have an unopened rx 580. So now I have to sell the 580 while trying to not lose money on it... and ebay fees are waived if I link to it with a special link, but I can't think of anywhere to advertise it.

Then to top all of that off, I really feel like maybe I should have gone up to at least a 1070. But of course you can keep thinking that on every level of gpu. "the next level up is 35% faster!!!". yeah, true all the way up the chain, so you'd never stop. I haven't pc gamed in so many years I just figured I won't do it now... but if I do want to I'll wish I got a higher end gpu.

Oh and I bought more RAM than I need too.

You'll be able to game with no problems on a GTX 1060, it's a decent card and will run most titles at decent settings on 1920*1080@60fps. I have a friend who has this card and he hasn't yet hit any problems. Sure, it'll need replacing sooner than a 1070+, but then it cost less to begin with so the upgrade won't be as painful. ?

The only limitation, I imagine, would be VR. VR does need a beefy card to really get the most out of it.

1 hour ago, The Heff said:

You'll be able to game with no problems on a GTX 1060, it's a decent card and will run most titles at decent settings on 1920*1080@60fps. I have a friend who has this card and he hasn't yet hit any problems. Sure, it'll need replacing sooner than a 1070+, but then it cost less to begin with so the upgrade won't be as painful. ?

The only limitation, I imagine, would be VR. VR does need a beefy card to really get the most out of it.

yeah and I really thought about getting into VR as soon as it gets a tad better. The thing is, I feel like as long as I've spent picking out various parts and paying more than I originally planned, I maybe should have gone ahead and shelled out the extra $150-$200 to more futureproof it as I don't intend to replace any parts for quite a few years "except" if I need a new gpu. I've used my current pc for quite a few years and it was not great to start with, so I get a lot of years out of my pcs. ?

And there was a great deal on a 1070 ti, actually. Oh well.... I'll just have to make a decision and be happy with whatever.

@The Heffnow, even though your point was the 1060 would still be good, you have me thinking I should get a 1070 or above now. haha. I forgot I really was seriously considering fooling with VR. I'd have to not only sell my amd card, though, but return or sell the nvidia one, too, so may just be too big of a mess.

Intel announced on Friday that their 10nm Canon Lake architecture was going to be delayed into late 2019 and early 2020.  

The newest Epyc chips are already beating their Xeon counterparts where multi-threaded performance matters most.   This is going to give AMD even more time to steal market share away from Intel.  

And it may allow AMD to eliminate the performance gap in the mainstream desktop market where single-core clock rates seem to give Intel a distinct competitive advantage.  

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, Dan C said:

Intel announced on Friday that their 10nm Canon Lake architecture was going to be delayed into late 2019 and early 2020.  

The newest Epyc chips are already beating their Xeon counterparts where multi-threaded performance matters most.   This is going to give AMD even more time to steal market share away from Intel.  

And it may allow AMD to eliminate the performance gap in the mainstream desktop market where single-core clock rates seem to give Intel a distinct competitive advantage.  

I have had my 2700x and x470 sitting here to the point where I'm a couple days away from needing to postmark my rebate and I still can't even decide if I should keep it. lol. I really feel like I should have just got intel for my needs, but at the time I thought well I may do something where extra threads improves performance. Plus this was such a good deal... To get an 8700k (or wait for a 9700k) and a motherboard of the same tier as the one I got AND have to buy a cooler, I would probably have been out about $100 extra, but I'm still tempted.

16 hours ago, Dan C said:

The 9700k won't be out for a while still, so don't wait.

I'm pretty sure it's coming out within the next couple months. it's just simply a coffee lake refresh. At least that's the last I heard reports of. And what I had last read was it's an 8 core, but only 8threads.

I noticed someone posted on another site about intel coming out with yet another troubling statement related to the security issues with intel cpus, though. I didn't read it, but I "think" it was that the patches still don't perfectly prevent those issues that had been found. But people had told me that amd ones would have similar issues and it just hasn't been publicly mentioned/found yet.

I am pretty much just going to keep the amd… even though I'd rather have intel. it's already above the specs I need, anyway, so the difference between it and the intel for single core stuff won't be noticeable to me, personally, most likely. Would be too much hassle selling off parts to do the intel instead. Now if only someone would buy my rx 580, though. Still baffling how a few weeks ago I got constant offers for it and now the fofers are $50 less. I turned down the others because after fees I would have lost around $25. But now I wish I just took them.