Chunked file uploads

Sirmadsen

They already do use chunked uploads. On this site you can't test it because they're using S3, which I believe doesn't support chunks, but if you are using the file system and you try to upload a large file, it will chunk it. On my site, the chunk limit is 30MB (I'm not sure off the top of my head where that limit was pulled from though), and I was able to upload an 83MB file without issue, with 3 requests being made to the server to upload it.

11 minutes ago, Colonel_mortis said:

They already do use chunked uploads.

Are you sure? On my test installation (4.2.8) I can't upload let's say a file of 800 MB if I don't edit the php.ini accordingly (and set up the group permissions correctly, of course).

3 minutes ago, MMXII said:

Are you sure? On my test installation (4.2.8) I can't upload let's say a file of 800 MB if I don't edit the php.ini accordingly (and set up the group permissions correctly, of course).

In downloads on my site, we have files of 2GB+, and I don't think we had to do anything special to support that. There is a 4GB limit because the file size is stored as a 32bit integer in the DB, but that was the only limitation that I'm aware of.

@bfarber So you are saying that if I use system as storage it uploads in chunks?

I just tried this, setting my php.ini to allow max size of 2MB and setting memory limit to php default. Managed to upload a 242 MB file to the file system. Might try bigger files later.

Note: Amazon S3 supports chunked uploading though (multipart upload), any chance of implementing that? Would be great to use on systems with limited file storage on hosting server.

@bfarber Off topic question: When choosing to go back to file system from Amazon S3 does the files get moved from my S3 storage to the system? Copied? Or do I have to move them manually to the corresponding folder in system?.

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2018 at 6:34 AM, bfarber said:

Files will be moved back to the file system automatically, although you can also manually move them if you prefer.

We will investigate chunked uploading to S3 in a future release.

IS this part of 4.3.3?

• 6 months later...

Archived