Question regarding email settings

ClubCuddly

Sorry if this has been flogged so many times that it cannot get up, but I am curious as to whether there is an option (currently active, or a future feature) to limit the number of emails processed over a period of time.

Currently we use Sparkpost - only because there was no way to limit sending out a bulk email to 500 addresses per hour with our host. If there was an option to limit how many emails get processed per hour, the need for a 3rd party provider wouldn’t be required.

Allowing for the option of noreply@domain.com for any/all outgoing mail would be nice too. 

You can set this rate with a constant for bulk mail.

Add the following to your constants.php file, editing the "8" to whatever is needed to suit your needs. (this is per cycle) this runs every minute if you're using a cron, so 500/60 would be 8 in your case. (default is 50) (depending on how much other mail you are sending, you may need to adjust.

define( 'BULK_MAILS_PER_CYCLE', 8 );

If you don't currently have a constants.php file, create one with the following.

<?php
define( 'BULK_MAILS_PER_CYCLE', 8 );

1 minute ago, ClubCuddly said:

I don’t have a lot of experience setting up cron. If I wanted to set up a cron, would I do it via the IPS adminCP, or via the host control panel?

You don't need the cron, that was just an example for the rate of sending, if you don't have one, the task is triggered via traffic on your site, nothing to worry about.

Archived