Download App Love

Sirmadsen

Show Downloads App Some Love!  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Common IPS! The Download App need some love. It's basically been the same since I started using IPS, back when it was IPB. A few suggestions for you.

1) In pretty much every section across the board users can choose to show content in a grid or list. We need this for Downloads. The download section look horrible to be honest, outdated and dificult to see enough of what's new without having to scroll through an annoying horizontal list. Showing items in a grid is pretty much a standard across your differennt apps and the Download App needs the same functions to co-exist with the rest of the board. At least a widget where we can choose how to show the content.

2) With all the features in IPS 4.3, more specifically the subscription feature, I would love to see it tied in more to downloads. I'm thiunking about more restrictions like max file upload size. It would be great if we can have normal members only upload a file size of (for example) 1G at a time. Then you can subscribe and be moved to "Gold Member" where you can upload 2G file sizes, and then "Diamond Member" where you can upload 5G file sizes and so on.

3) Ability to choose where extra fields are shows. Sidebar, above or below the information box.

Like I said, Downloads App have gotten NO love for years. And some of us use your software for for the Downloads. It's time to show it some love, don't let it fall behind. To be honest, the only reason I still use IPS as my software is because of the excellent Amazonn S3 integration. Like said above, it looks horrible, got next to no features or settings and is always left out when new updates and features are introduced.

Edited by Nesdam1981

Yes, the Downloads App needs more attention. Regarding uploads I think it should techincally be possible to allow huge uploads and downloads, even on hosted sites with little to no possibility to configure the php.ini file. I have seen a new version of a Download App (for a competing software) that allowes exactly that. A very nice feature!

Two more things that come to my mind right away (because I was struggeling with this lately):

4) Categories should not work like forums. Content in subcategories should also show up in the parent one.

5) It should be possible to add more than one category to a download.

Edited by MMXII

36 minutes ago, MMXII said:

Yes, the Downloads App needs more attention. Regarding uploads I think it should techincally be possible to allow huge uploads and downloads, even on hosted sites with little to no possibility to configure the php.ini file. I have seen a new version of a Download App (for a competing software) that allowes exactly that. A very nice feature!

Two more things that come to my mind right away (because I was struggeling with this lately):

4) Categories should not work like forums. Content in subcategories should also show up in the parent one.

5) It should be possible to add more than one category to a download.

4 + 5 = This! It would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding big uploads. There is a script called Veno File Manager that uses chunked file uploads: with the HTML5 file api that let's you bypass whatever limit is set by the php.ini. I've used this on shared hosting and could upload files that far exceeded the limit of the 128 MB set by the forced php.ini.

Maybe this is an idea for a future update? Option to upload files above certain sizes as chunks.

21 minutes ago, Nesdam1981 said:

Regarding big uploads. There is a script called Veno File Manager that uses chunked file uploads: with the HTML5 file api that let's you bypass whatever limit is set by the php.ini. I've used this on shared hosting and could upload files that far exceeded the limit of the 128 MB set by the forced php.ini.

I am not sure how it works technically, but yes, this sounds exactly like what I have read about earlier.

1. I would also like to see #1 or other improved layouts for the index page as a cosmetic refresh.  The downloads index is not bad, but when you have a lot of files it becomes visually busy.  

In terms of the UIX, my biggest pain point is actually the category tree.  I really, really don't like how it's relative to the current category.  I have a large and elaborate category structure tree with 6 major categories, each with 26 (or more) sub-categories and navigating around requires a lot of clicks and page refreshes.  

12 hours ago, Joel R said:

1. I would also like to see #1 or other improved layouts for the index page as a cosmetic refresh.  The downloads index is not bad, but when you have a lot of files it becomes visually busy.  

In terms of the UIX, my biggest pain point is actually the category tree.  I really, really don't like how it's relative to the current category.  I have a large and elaborate category structure tree with 6 major categories, each with 26 (or more) sub-categories and navigating around requires a lot of clicks and page refreshes.  

Agree with this.

For now I'm using this plugin. It shows all files in subcategories when browsing main categories. It also lists all subcategories above the file list. However, Download app need am overhaul and options to show files in a better way. Especially now when pretty much the entire suit has been changed to support grid view.

39 minutes ago, TheJackal84 said:

not on 4.3, touch screen desktop you can scroll but on mobile it don't allow it, if you use desktop touch too and zoom in 300% it goes to mobile and drag to scroll don't work

It works fine in mobile device.

You are probably talking about desktop touch devices? That I cannot say. 

Additionally, this is what I'm missing in the downloads app:

• more choices how to display special files selections in the thumbnails preview slider bars
    Please let us have additional, new, flexible preview bars) on the downloads index page.
    Currently there are only unchangeable "featured files" / "newest files" / "popular files" preview bars, but this doesn't suit my requirements. I require

# manually preselected files (editor's choice)
    # top paid files, top free files
    # special offers
    # sponsored downloads

• in the files details page, currently there is only the "screenshots bar" with the thumbnails images, but I think it should be more of a sensational shop with a BIG PRIMARY IMAGE or a banner. nowadays, users want to see EYE-CATCHING COVER IMAGES. For IPS, marketplace files functionality (text) might be the most requested information, but for other products (f.e. music or video downloads) users decide about purchases also by looking at images or video! Therefore, the layout looks pretty lost, lame, unspectacular.

• members (file authors) want their own / personal members downloads shops. Have a look at the classifieds app and the "user store concept". This should be realized for downloads, too, and connected to the user profiles pages. My file authors wish to have big profile banners for their downloads (with their commercial logos), introduction texts to their own shops and more

• an integrated reviews rating bar like in "downloads plus"
    # the downloads plus app looks great, but for my requirements (I have special code for missing EU tax features and this restricts me to install third party apps, so a native solution is required)

• an option where to store files per file.
    I want to transfer small files to Amazon S3, but bigger files (f.e. 1GB video files) should be stored locally to avoid high cloud transfer costs. I experience that my users download their files multiple times again and again and this becomes more and more expensive
    # maybe insert a restriction how often a single file can be downloaded

• make files versioning a choice per file or per default settings
    # if an author only changes any images or only adjusts spelling errors in his downloads, all followers are notified about file changes, BUT THERE IS NO FILE CHANGE!
    # stop notifying members if the files (in the proper sense -> the downloads, not the download descriptions) aren't changed

• more visual elements and effects onmouseover
    # this could also be a plugin, but a modern look should have a minimal stylish default behavior

• the categories box in the sidebar on the downloads main index page is a total waste of space (below the details info)
    # please make it at least concealable by default or by user choice or let us reposition it

• downloads require a downloads shopping cart for purchasing multiple file downloads at once
    # if members want to buy a lot of files, it's very annoying to checkout for every single file

• in the european union, you have to inform your customer that there is no refund for downloads possible. We may NOT have this information in our terms and conditions. It MUST BE DISPLAYED directly above the "buy now" button. Therefore we urgently require special and flexible check and text boxes. If there isn't such an information box, every purchaser can directly refund their purchased downloads and PayPal will refund without any further discussion. More info HERE.

• have colored marketing badges for the preview thumbnails
    # new, hot, recommended, reduced price, limited offer...

• free, but password-protected downloads
    # let us add a secondary security level, like password protected forums

• add commission levels per member group
    # one commission setting for all members isn't very good, I require to award members by status and hence adjust commission values individually

• a files wishlist
    # that reminds me of interesting files I might purchase one day...

• integration of a points system (preferred "members shop", @TheJackal84 ), where users can/must pay for file downloads with points (even free downloads, option enabled per file by download author).
    # below the real currency price, there should be shown a points price (virtual currency).
    as an alternative I could also imagine:
    # earn downloads credits with quality contents in the forums to be able to download "free files". this way members have to engage better to get free premium files.
    # or handle free downloads as "granted if you have a good reputation quota aso"

• the "download now" or "buy now" button requires more attention
    # some of my users just don't see it directly

Dear IPS Team, you publish blog articles about monetizing our communities, so please help us to really make powerselling use of the downloads app. I think the current status is still very basic. The downloads app is really missing a lot love and isn't optimized for powerselling at all. Thank you.

Edited by Cyboman

• 4 months later...

* Bump *

My renew term is coming up and I need to know if the IPS team is even considering some of the changes mentioned in this thread. Don't want to be a crybaby but I'm experimenting with other software right now to achieve what I want. The most important features for me are

• A grid view.
  • Ability to choose where to show extra fields.
  • Would be nice to see "tags" added as a function to extra fields.
  • More than one selectable category and that files parent categories show subcategories files as well.

Also a lot of interesting stuff mentioned in the thread.

Can any IPS team member give some feedback on this?

Edited by OldAssGeek

On 4/11/2018 at 9:10 AM, OldAssGeek said:

It shows all files in subcategories when browsing main categories. It also lists all subcategories above the file list.

Yes, files being in a sub-category should also show up under the partent category. Right now categories in the Downloads App seem to work like forums, but that is not how it should be. And I don't know of any app of competitors that handle it like Invision does... It just makes no sense. Hopefully they will adress this.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:40 AM, Cyboman said:

Very good suggestions. I doubt though that we will see a major overhaul of the Downloads App before IPS 5.x. Sadly...

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

I'd like to see automatically generated screenshots of pdf files or image files.

If you need a free tool to generate images from PDF files, I use Boxoft Free PDF to JPG Converter.  It's freeware, and supports batch pdf files.  

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 6:46 PM, Joel R said:

If you need a free tool to generate images from PDF files, I use Boxoft Free PDF to JPG Converter.  It's freeware, and supports batch pdf files.  

I'd love to see automatically generated screen shots for video files that are uploaded. Will Boxoft do that? or it only works with pdf?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/20/2018 at 5:40 PM, Cyboman said:

• more choices how to display special files selections in the thumbnails preview slider bars
    Please let us have additional, new, flexible preview bars) on the downloads index page.
    Currently there are only unchangeable "featured files" / "newest files" / "popular files" preview bars, but this doesn't suit my requirements. I require

# manually preselected files (editor's choice)
    # top paid files, top free files
    # special offers
    # sponsored downloads

• in the files details page, currently there is only the "screenshots bar" with the thumbnails images, but I think it should be more of a sensational shop with a BIG PRIMARY IMAGE or a banner. nowadays, users want to see EYE-CATCHING COVER IMAGES. For IPS, marketplace files functionality (text) might be the most requested information, but for other products (f.e. music or video downloads) users decide about purchases also by looking at images or video! Therefore, the layout looks pretty lost, lame, unspectacular.

• members (file authors) want their own / personal members downloads shops. Have a look at the classifieds app and the "user store concept". This should be realized for downloads, too, and connected to the user profiles pages. My file authors wish to have big profile banners for their downloads (with their commercial logos), introduction texts to their own shops and more

• an integrated reviews rating bar like in "downloads plus"
    # the downloads plus app looks great, but for my requirements (I have special code for missing EU tax features and this restricts me to install third party apps, so a native solution is required)

• an option where to store files per file.
    I want to transfer small files to Amazon S3, but bigger files (f.e. 1GB video files) should be stored locally to avoid high cloud transfer costs. I experience that my users download their files multiple times again and again and this becomes more and more expensive
    # maybe insert a restriction how often a single file can be downloaded

• make files versioning a choice per file or per default settings
    # if an author only changes any images or only adjusts spelling errors in his downloads, all followers are notified about file changes, BUT THERE IS NO FILE CHANGE!
    # stop notifying members if the files (in the proper sense -> the downloads, not the download descriptions) aren't changed

• more visual elements and effects onmouseover
    # this could also be a plugin, but a modern look should have a minimal stylish default behavior

• the categories box in the sidebar on the downloads main index page is a total waste of space (below the details info)
    # please make it at least concealable by default or by user choice or let us reposition it

• downloads require a downloads shopping cart for purchasing multiple file downloads at once
    # if members want to buy a lot of files, it's very annoying to checkout for every single file

• in the european union, you have to inform your customer that there is no refund for downloads possible. We may NOT have this information in our terms and conditions. It MUST BE DISPLAYED directly above the "buy now" button. Therefore we urgently require special and flexible check and text boxes. If there isn't such an information box, every purchaser can directly refund their purchased downloads and PayPal will refund without any further discussion. More info HERE.

• have colored marketing badges for the preview thumbnails
    # new, hot, recommended, reduced price, limited offer...

• free, but password-protected downloads
    # let us add a secondary security level, like password protected forums

• add commission levels per member group
    # one commission setting for all members isn't very good, I require to award members by status and hence adjust commission values individually

• a files wishlist
    # that reminds me of interesting files I might purchase one day...

• integration of a points system (preferred "members shop", @TheJackal84 ), where users can/must pay for file downloads with points (even free downloads, option enabled per file by download author).
    # below the real currency price, there should be shown a points price (virtual currency).
    as an alternative I could also imagine:
    # earn downloads credits with quality contents in the forums to be able to download "free files". this way members have to engage better to get free premium files.
    # or handle free downloads as "granted if you have a good reputation quota aso"

• the "download now" or "buy now" button requires more attention
    # some of my users just don't see it directly

Dear IPS Team, you publish blog articles about monetizing our communities, so please help us to really make powerselling use of the downloads app. I think the current status is still very basic. The downloads app is really missing a lot love and isn't optimized for powerselling at all. Thank you.

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

I especially like commission levels per member group, member files store, cart, wishlist and improved visuals

Edited by SJ77