Force mobile bookmark not to behave like web app

rllmukforum

When you create a bookmark on a recent mobile device, and place this on the home screen, it seems to be recognized as a web app rather than a bookmark of old. This means the forum is opened in a new browser window, with minimal UI, rather than opening a new tab in the default browser.

How do we change this behavior?

Interesting. What about the forum determines iOS adds it as a web app shortcut, instead of a vanilla bookmark? I only ask because some sites get a bookmark, others this web app shortcut.

For a random example, nbcsports.com ends up with a vanilla bookmark which opens up in a new Chrome tab on Android. Our forum gets a nice splash screen and then functions as a web app.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, opentype said:

You don’t. It’s an OS function, not website behavior. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, Joy Rex said:

Cheers, I already sorted it but just wanted to come back here to confirm. It's not the OS, it's a specific parameter we (unwittingly) defined as we setup high res icons to support various OSes. In Android's case, that included a manifest.json which included the following parameter:

"display": "standalone"

I think we could have removed the line, but to be sure I changed it to:

"display": "browser"

and now bookmarks always operate like standard bookmarks, launching a new tab in the default browser. I had to get users to dump their local cache to see the change reflected.

• 1 year later...
59 minutes ago, ibaker said:

I am having this problem on my Android tablet and just for my IPS site and IPS's own site...every other site shortcut (non IPS site) works ok. How did you fix it? Thanks

It's part of the Progressive Web App settings (which, imo is a good feature those wanting a website to feel like an app).

Archived