Need help with "Pages" and Database

Rüdiger01

Hello
I have a problem with the Pages application
I have a website here (http://www.kampfkunst.de).
I would like to realize this content in "Pages".
Unfortunately the support of IPB could not help me.
So far I have written this with the support:

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

March 13

Hello,

how can I integrate an existing DB in Pages?

The Tutorial nothing say about it.

Regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

Rhett Buck

Rhett Buck

Staff

Hello,  Can you clarify if this is an existing pages database? or what database are you referring to? 

Regards, 

Rhett 
Support and Cloud Manager
Invision Power Services, Inc.

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Tuesday at 06:31 PM

I want to transfer the DB from www.kampfkunst.de

There are four tables in the DB

Regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

Rhett Buck

Rhett Buck

Staff

Tuesday at 07:09 PM

Hello,  Can you clarify what this database is? I'm not understanding what data this is you are trying to transfer? and where you are trying to transfer it too? 

Regards, 

Rhett 

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Wednesday at 06:40 PM

Hello,

I have a Database for another Website. There are four tables in it.

I made an export to xml.

This DB with the content in it I want to transfer to Content in the IPB.

Kind regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

dojos.xml

grafik.png

Jim Morrissey

Jim Morrissey

Staff

Wednesday at 06:48 PM

Hello,

You would only be able to import Database settings/templates/etc... from the Pages system, this would not include records/content. You can only export this data by going to ACP -> Pages -> Database -> on the database you want to export settings/templates for click the down arrow -> click Download.

Thanks,
Jim M.

Rhett Buck

Rhett Buck

Staff

Wednesday at 06:50 PM

Hello,  The data you provided is user content in this case, you would not import that to the pages application, please clarify, perhaps we have a language barrier here in where we are not understanding properly? 

Regards, 

Rhett 

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Wednesday at 07:09 PM

Hello,

I'll try it with the Google Translator.

I thought that the upload including data on the ACP works.
After the update, I would have created the corresponding pages.

So I would first have to create the pages and then manually enter the content?

That can not be. That's almost 5000 records.

Best regards

Rüdiger FreudenbergHello,

Rhett Buck

Rhett Buck

Staff

Wednesday at 07:12 PM

Hello,  Please clarify if you are trying to import users from another database, if so what software is that site using now?  

If this is not users you are trying to import, please clarify what the data is that you are trying to import and we can guide you.

Regards, 

Rhett 

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Wednesday at 07:29 PM

Hello,

I have this website: http://www.kampfkunst.de since 1997.
As an example for the content please click here: http://www.kampfkunst.de/dojos/dojo01ml.php
I first implemented this directory service with ColdFusion and MSSQL and then switched to PHP MySql.

I would like to realize the whole now over the pages or contents in the IPB.

Here's a screenshot of what the result looks like.

grafik.png.05438938a540ba6673c53df8abda65bc.png

And here's a dump of the database structure in the attachement

Kind regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

struktur_kampfkunst.sql

Rhett Buck

Rhett Buck

Staff

Wednesday at 07:32 PM

Hello,  I'm sorry we don't have a method to convert that into our pages app I'm afraid. 

Regards, 

Rhett 

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Wednesday at 07:39 PM

Hello, can I map my previous website into content or pages? So first the optics and then the content. If necessary, then migrate the data directly into the database via SQL?

Regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

Rhett Buck

Rhett Buck

Staff

Wednesday at 07:57 PM

Hello,  I'm sorry we don't have a converter for the data type you provided. 

Regards, 

Rhett 

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Saturday at 11:43 AM

Then I have to see how I get it done.

However, I need some jump start. The online documentation for the pages in combination with databases is not so clear.

I would like to have a form in which users enter their data. After entering the data, the data should be dynamically assigned to specific pages, depending on the postal code and a further criterion.

How do I best start this?

Best regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

Jim Morrissey

Jim Morrissey

Staff

Saturday at 02:59 PM

Hello,

After entering the data, the data should be dynamically assigned to specific pages, depending on the postal code and a further criterion. 

Pages Database works on categories, kind of like forms, if a user posts to category X that is where their record will be place, if they post to category Y that is where their record will be placed. A good example of how this works is our News section on our website. We have several different categories: Product Updates, Community Management, Off-topic, and Company. Each article we write is selected to fall under one of these categories and is placed there accordingly on the website.

I would suggest utilizing the Pages demo that is pre-installed with your installation or in our demo to get a feel for what Pages can do: https://invisioncommunity.com/demo

Of course this is just the basic idea, depending on your level of comfort, you can customize this to fit any need.

Thanks,
Jim M.

Ruediger Freudenberg

You

Account Owner

Yesterday at 11:17 AM

Hello,

On your website you write

"Massive scope to customize

For those with programming or design skills, database templates can be freely edited, allowing you to build completely customized interfaces for your application. You can also create reusable per-field display formatters."

Where do I then make these adjustments?
Where can I possibly enter SQL code?
For example: SELECT * FROM dojos WHERE (Postal Code BETWEEN '01000' and '01999') AND Status = 'a' AND Country = 'D' ORDER BY Postal Code ASC

Best regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

Marc Stridgen

Marc Stridgen

Staff

8 hours ago

Hello,

Unfortunately, this issue is beyond the scope of our usual technical support. Please bear in mind that for the most part, our general support team will not be developers themselves, and are trained in use of the core software and problem solving within this.

Our technical support is designed to assist you with the built-in functionality of our software or to address problems running our software in a normal manner in a hosting environment that is the norm for the majority of web hosting providers. Special services (conversions, server transfers, database management, etc.), customizations (both code and design), and sever-level assistance are outside the scope of support.

We do have a community where other administrators may be able to assist you, and I would encourage posting your query there. You can log in there with the same Email Address and password that you use to log into the client area.

Sorry that we were not able to assist you with this and thank you for your understanding. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
For more information about our scope of support, please see our Standards of Service.

Can someone help me with this problem?

How do I best start the implementation?

Best regards

Rüdiger Freudenberg

4 minutes ago, Rüdiger01 said:

Can someone help me with this problem?
How do I best start the implementation?

As explained by support staff there is no importer for something like this. I’ve done it a couple of times though. 

• first, created a new Pages database.
  • downloaded and inspected the MySQL database via phpMyAdmin
  • prepared the import data in Excel to match the Pages MySQL database
  • imported a few test entries via phpMyAdmin from a CSV
  • debugging to identify problems
  • then import the entire data set from the CSV

It’s doable, but you need to know what you are doing. It’s easy to create a faulty database or to hit import errors all the time. And of course it assumes the original data is “flat” and doesn’t have to be linked dynamically. Then it gets more complicated and would need custom import scripts. 

Hello,

thanks a lot. That´s a beginning.

After creating the DB in Pages I have to create pages or block befor I do the import?

Is it helpful to create users from the previous database? I thought about it, then assign the content to the users

29 minutes ago, Rüdiger01 said:

After creating the DB in Pages I have to create pages or block befor I do the import?

Any Pages database needs a page to “live on”. So, yes you should create it. 

29 minutes ago, Rüdiger01 said:

Is it helpful to create users from the previous database?

Pages database records need an “owner”, so you would need to set a user ID when importing your data. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived