My compliments to the team

Mike Gholson

To the product management and engineering team at Invision: 

I wanted to say thank you and great work on such a wonderful product!  I came over to your software from another software package and have loved every update you've made.  The software works very well and it's apparent you know how to develop good code.  I can rest assured knowing that my community will be online and bugs will be handled with priority.  Your offering of a 'complete' system is something I can rely on and it gives me the time to focus on content and ideas.  I hope you can find the time to share this feedback with everyone on the team.  I'm a long term user and will continue to do so.  And, management, please be sure to keep your team happy so they don't go find other jobs.  This team has what it takes... (and that's not easy to find)

Cheers!

Mike Gholson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ZeroHour, I migrated from vBulletin 4..  I used their system for years, but they didn't have a unified system.  I had to buy other modules from independent developers to build the same system that comes standard with IPB.  For example, at the time, they did not have a gallery feature.  So, I used a product called Photopost.  It was a great integration (for the time) but was difficult to manage the synchronization between releases.  Similarly, vB didn't have much for SEO and I used another product to manage that for me.  I must admit the SEO concept was just starting to get popular.  vB did come out with a new package since then, but, I didn't like the direction they were headed.  Apparently there was also a major shake up at vB and they lost all of their developers.  They also dropped their pages feature, which was a major loss for my site.

My migration to IPB wasn't perfect though.  They did have a great migration tool for all my content, but, my biggest loss was in ad revenue.  vB's SEO package (written by a 3rd party) was excellent at bringing in the hits.  However, when I migrated, my ad hits dropped in half and the SEO integration wasn't perfect.  IPB still doesn't make it easy to optimize for SEO but it's decent enough for me to stick around.

The biggest reason I left vB was the amount of time I was spending managing the site.  When I moved to IPB, my time spent on back-end management dropped in half.  It enabled me to spend more time creating content.  All in all, I'm still glad I made the change..  It would work out even better if I could improve my ad revenue with some kind of SEO helper.

I respect the work of the IPS team and especially when I see that they are attentive to the details — it's an amazing software, congratulations to the team! But I have a problem, why does not there exist a tool for verifying the license? Why not take action against the webflake dot sx site?

My license expires on April 3, but I still think whether to pay or not for the next 6 months. I have friends who have been using this platform for years without problems, without a license. The funny thing is that they have more populated forums than mine. I have reported many sites and are still online. Some sites received the report 1 year ago and that works smoothly. My English is not my mother tongue, I apologize for some mistakes, but the point is to understand what I'm saying. 

• Management
18 hours ago, grande_ecks said:

I respect the work of the IPS team and especially when I see that they are attentive to the details — it's an amazing software, congratulations to the team! But I have a problem, why does not there exist a tool for verifying the license? Why not take action against the webflake dot sx site?

My license expires on April 3, but I still think whether to pay or not for the next 6 months. I have friends who have been using this platform for years without problems, without a license. The funny thing is that they have more populated forums than mine. I have reported many sites and are still online. Some sites received the report 1 year ago and that works smoothly. My English is not my mother tongue, I apologize for some mistakes, but the point is to understand what I'm saying. 

Unfortunately, some sites are difficult to take down depending on geographic location - some countries don't easily abide by or honor appropriate intellectual property laws; thieves know this. 

With that said, we have a tool currently being tested by our third party authors to verify licenses. It will be available to everyone on our site soon - so you'll be able to see if a site is licensed or not. 

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, grande_ecks said:

Almost 3 months and nothing. I gave up anyway. :dry:

More than likely GDPR is playing a part in this due to the release of private information. Is verifying someones website a violation of personal information? Possibly because it's combined with their purchase and it's a third party verifying that information.

16 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

More than likely GDPR is playing a part in this due to the release of private information. Is verifying someones website a violation of personal information? Possibly because it's combined with their purchase and it's a third party verifying that information.

You've seen and used the tool. All you get is a yes or no, not WHO owns the license. I fail to see how this violates GDPR as it's entirely anonymous. 

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

You've seen and used the tool.

No I haven't! Didn't know it existed yet... Your accusation is completely, utterly false. On top of this I've had literally not one reason yet to use something like that.

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

All you get is a yes or no, not WHO owns the license. I fail to see how this violates GDPR as it's entirely anonymous

Keep in mind I didn't know this tool was available as of yet, so very plausibly,
The information was created because someone purchased something and it's coming from that purchase / sale. Did that person agree to any clause from IPB saying that information would be divulged to any third party from the sale? Not sure ... This isn't a general statistics number like how many sales did we have this year, it's a direct way to see purchase / renewal purchase information for a specific site that was derived from a sale. This isn't a content issue either.

Whatever the scenario it's no reason to throw out accusations and get your panties in a bunch! IPB will surely come in and answer this, calm down.. Please put me back on ignore too..

So where's that check tool located?

37 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

Didn't know it existed yet... Your accusation is completely, utterly false.

Ok... You were directly involved in the topic that was talking about it, but ok...

37 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

So where's that check tool located?

Exactly where it says in the topic linked above, about 12 replies before yours... I'm not going to post the direct link here as I don't know if IPS intends for it to be public yet, or just available for contributor testing. 

You are still on ignore, I guess morbid curiosity about what you might have said in this topic got me to unhide your post. Won't happen again! ?

Archived