4.3 Search Changes

Charles

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/12/2018 at 11:04 PM, Ramsesx said:

I don't like that it's not possible to search for an exact word order with the new search. If type in "big changes", with the old engine I got all posts containing these exact term. Now I get no result, if search the same without the " I get some results but it's not satisfying. 

Now, after I converted my community to IPS the missing phrase search option is a BIG problem.  How can I get this back? Why aren't there more people complaining about this? Nobody searches for exact phrases in your communities?

6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

The feature is still there. You just need to get used to the new way of using it. 

No it's not. And yes, I know how to use the search.

I just give you a random example:

searchx.png.1efc1a54de205d90e0e8c569b555d1c5.png

Now, search for "Database conversion" without quotes do you find this topic from the screenshot? And if yes, please tell me how you did it. Thanks.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, Ramsesx said:

Now, after I converted my community to IPS the missing phrase search option is a BIG problem.  How can I get this back? Why aren't there more people complaining about this? Nobody searches for exact phrases in your communities?

I agree that it is baffling that phrase search doesn't work the way everyone expects it ought to.

Here's an example from right now on my forum:

• Searching for "doom eternal" (the game announced yesterday) returns 0 results
  • Searching for doom AND eternal returns 5555 results
  • Searching for "eternal doom" returns 12 results, all of which include the specific phrase, "eternall doom" (notice that "eternal" is spelled wrong)

• 4 weeks later...

It's not "meant" to, but instead of inserting rows into (presumably) a local database table all of those rows have to be pushed over an HTTP API to a service (I don't know if your Elasticsearch is local or remote, but it's still an HTTP request either way). That is going to be inherently slower with regards to pushing the content into the index.

The benefits show when you in turn perform a search and it executes quicker and with better results.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

It's not "meant" to, but instead of inserting rows into (presumably) a local database table all of those rows have to be pushed over an HTTP API to a service (I don't know if your Elasticsearch is local or remote, but it's still an HTTP request either way). That is going to be inherently slower with regards to pushing the content into the index.

It's on my server.

I'm getting the viewupdate error since setting up elasticsearch as seen here 

Archived