Community

sotrix

Is it worth it to upgrade?

I have a fairly large community running IPB 3.4.7 with most of the website built on Content and Gallery.

Need advice regarding a potential upgrade to 4.3.

A test upgrade last year to 4.1 failed even though the server was compatible, so I need to to hire someone to manually upgrade the website.

A major feature of my website is a custom modification a freelance programmer built for me, so I would need to hire someone to port that over.

As far as I understand, the new Gallery is not compatible with old, so I would need to rebuilt that from scratch.

I'll need a new theme made as well because my existing one wouldn't work either.

What troubles me most is if 5.0, whenever it's released, isn't backwards compatible, all of the above will have to be repeated.

There are a lot of features in 4.3 that would really improve my community. I need to innovate to maintain interest and engagement.

Is the expense of buying the software licences, hiring developers, and investing an ungodly amount of hours to upgrade my site worth it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Some thoughts in no particular order:

1.  A clean IPB 3.4.7 will upgrade to latest 4.2.x with no problem.  By clean, I mean disable ALL customizations ... any third-party themes, hooks, plugins, applications, extensions, etc.  Where I saw all of the angst were clients trying to upgrade when they still had some of those custom items enabled.  

2.  You can run test upgrades on your test license to ensure everything converts.  You can also give yourself a staging ground to start implementing customizations.  

3.  IPS Support will perform the upgrade for you.

4.  Gallery will update to gallery.  Content databases and records should update, but you may need to rebuild your templates or custom blocks.  

5.  You don't need to buy the software license.  You just need to renew your existing license at renewal rates and you automatically get the latest version.  

6.  What's the cost of innovation and staying current to you?  What's the cost of not doing anything?  Also, what good admin doesn't invest an ungodly amount of hours into their site?? ?

15 hours ago, sotrix said:

What troubles me most is if 5.0, whenever it's released, isn't backwards compatible, all of the above will have to be repeated.

We can call that “business as usual”. Running web communities means permanent maintenance. You will never be “save” with a single version. All your server components will need to be updated sooner or later, all your external connections (Facebook API and so on) will need updates, and every IPS software version will be outdated and insecure sooner or later. So just on a technical level, you just have to keep up. And then of course there is also this: 

I need to innovate to maintain interest and engagement.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, sotrix said:

I have a fairly large community running IPB 3.4.7 with most of the website built on Content and Gallery.

Need advice regarding a potential upgrade to 4.3.

A test upgrade last year to 4.1 failed even though the server was compatible, so I need to to hire someone to manually upgrade the website.

A major feature of my website is a custom modification a freelance programmer built for me, so I would need to hire someone to port that over.

As far as I understand, the new Gallery is not compatible with old, so I would need to rebuilt that from scratch.

I'll need a new theme made as well because my existing one wouldn't work either.

There are a lot of features in 4.3 that would really improve my community. I need to innovate to maintain interest and engagement.

Is the expense of buying the software licences, hiring developers, and investing an ungodly amount of hours to upgrade my site worth it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

There a lot of features that are gone from the Gallery 3 version to Gallery 4 now, Maybe make back up of your site and do a offline/local upgrade with the back up so you can test it see if features and stuff if to your liking before doing it live. Remember it hard to go backwards that forwards.

Edited by ZakRhyno

I decided against upgrading for now

A sales person told me that I would only be assisted with an upgrade once. I need to upgrade at least twice, creating a test site first, so I have plenty of time to create a new theme and make all the necessary adjustments to my content templates/blocks. Upgrading the site once and then shutting it all down for an indefinite amount of time for this process is not an option.

They say they're here to help but when I'm told I'll be "provided a quote" for what should be basic installation assistance, I have no confidence I'll get the support I need.

support.PNG

On 4/12/2018 at 8:40 PM, sotrix said:

A sales person told me that I would only be assisted with an upgrade once.

That is correct and is what they have offered.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:40 PM, sotrix said:

I need to upgrade at least twice

No you don't, you need to upgrade once. A test installation etc. is not an upgrade and not supported either (it is allowed but not supported). If you want assistance with it, IPS will rightly charge for this assistance. The actual main site upgrade assistance would still be offered.

On 4/12/2018 at 3:40 PM, sotrix said:

They say they're here to help but when I'm told I'll be "provided a quote" for what should be basic installation assistance, I have no confidence I'll get the support I need.

I am very sorry, there may be some confusion in our reply and I'll see if I can clarify a bit. We only provide a free upgrade as a courtesy to your live community for our  customers. For thousands of our customer's communities, this is all that is needed. We'll be with you every step of the way, making many reviews/adjustments/etc... prior to the upgrade to ensure that when we perform the actual upgrade it goes as smooth as possible and you're online again. If anything goes wrong while we perform the upgrade, we resolve it with our advanced support team as quickly as possible. Finally, once the upgrade is done, we also do a quick review to ensure all is well. Even after that point if you're encountering any issues we'll be there to help you resolve them as quickly as possible to get you back online quickly and efficiently.

Through our review, knowledge and effort you're in excellent hands with individuals who have done thousands of successful upgrades therefore there really is no need to run a test upgrade when you upgrade with our staff. May I ask your concern with the upgrade that you wish to run a test upgrade? 

If you would like to get comfortable with first hand experience working in Invision Community version 4, I would suggest checking out our demo.This will give you availability to all that is available in Invision Community and let you "poke around" a bit to get comfortable. 

@sotrix

Choice 1. For a test install, download a IPB copy and install it to a local application like WAMP etc... Test and develop..
Choice 2. You can also use a live server site to test 1 copy with. Upload IPB to a test url, install it, test and develop :)