"Quote selection" was better in 4.2.*

In 4.3 button "Quote selection" always appears in the beginning of selected text, so we forced to make extra mouse move. It's very inconvenient. In previous versions it appeared near the cursor.

45 minutes ago, crmarks said:

On the latest Safari 11 on macOS 10.12 the selected text becomes deselected once the quote button appears, and then the button disappears as well. It's impossible to quote selected text.

Was just about to report this. Doesn't work in Safari on macOS.

11 hours ago, Mr 13 said:

In 4.3 button "Quote selection" always appears in the beginning of selected text, so we forced to make extra mouse move. It's very inconvenient. In previous versions it appeared near the cursor.

I agree.  

Well, I had problems with "quote selection" under 4.2 (using the latest Firefox). The quote bubble did appear totally random: sometimes at the end of the selected text, sometimes a few lines above, sometimes never. So while I agree that it might be more convenient to have it at the end of the selected text, the way it works now is actually an improvement for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10.03.2018 at 1:09 AM, Charles said:

The method we use to do the selector was changed in 4.3 because the previous way was unreliable in some browsers and particularly on mobile.

I understand the intentions but in my experience now it works even worse on desktop as well as on mobile. I'll post some details on it (as soon as i have more time) in this topic.

4.2:

1.thumb.gif.72d5dbdaf20b5f5463a00a8dc2a52beb.gif

4.3:

2.thumb.gif.8a3b670fdab1750466c0445276636580.gif

As you can see i've selected here last part of message with short downward movement. Everhthing works fine in 4.2:

3.thumb.gif.1cf12dd9c889d494e219619c06344970.gif

But not in 4.3:

4.thumb.gif.6544cee579661d133e66402243bd1614.gif

Because in 4.3 button does not appear in this scenario at all.

If IPS is using a library for it's tooltips like Popper or Tether, there should be a positioning attribute that can be changed. In the examples above for 4.3 in example #1, you see the tooltip actually goes off-screen. Most libraries like Popper can take in viewport for ensuring the positioning is correct depending where the tooltip is invoked.

8 hours ago, Mr 13 said:

I understand the intentions but in my experience now it works even worse on desktop as well as on mobile. I'll post some details on it (as soon as i have more time) in this topic.

You're testing on what, 2... Maybe 3 browsers?  I'm sure IPS has tested dozens of browsers across multiple devices types either during their regression testing or within support tickets. 

Your itty bitty sampling showing it works for you doesn't negate IPS' reasons for making the change... Could it work better, sure.  I hope they put a little more love into it as 4.3 matures.  But beating a dead horse over it during the beta isn't exactly useful.

To me, it was annoyingly inconsistent in 4.2, and some change is welcome. However, I think a compromise should be made if possible - the quote popup should appear at the end that you finished the selection, so if you selected from left to right it should appear at the right, and vice versa. That way, it should always appear next to the cursor without resulting in the weird behaviour from 4.2.

16 hours ago, Rikki said:

I can look into having it show at the end as we now do on mobile. However, the 4.2 approach wasn't viable. 

Please do so because:

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, Misi said:

It doesn't appear at all in Internet Explorer.

Capture.PNG

Archived