Live Feel For IP.Board

Neofusion

Hey guys, I think this is my first post hear, long time IP.board owner through :)

The game company Blizzard just swapped out the forums software for there game Overwatch, The new software has some really great features that gives the forums a more "alive feel". Let me try to explain. When you are on a forum page, the page is updating in real time, you can see when someone is typing and then when a post is made, it's then added to the page or thread in real time to display it. They make sure your focus point on the page is not moved so if you are typing something up, you are not having a bad experience with like a page jerk. This has made conversing on this forums quite pleasant in a more live engaging way.

I love IP.Board and this is possibly something that could work well in it.
Please leave some feedback on your thoughts on this.

-Neo

reference:

I'm not going to list the software used, just the game forums.
Link: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/

I'm not sure if I can link the site here for the forum software that they are using but it's definitely interesting. I think there's some positives from it although I don't know if it's at the 'community' level yet to where you can create an entire website for your community around it without using other software. 

Interested to see what other folks think about it :)

9 hours ago, ADKGamers said:

I'm not sure if I can link the site here for the forum software that they are using but it's definitely interesting. I think there's some positives from it although I don't know if it's at the 'community' level yet to where you can create an entire website for your community around it without using other software. 

Interested to see what other folks think about it :)

Oh so it's not custom to them?

1 minute ago, CSSlife said:

Oh so it's not custom to them?

The forum software, no. As far as that posting feature, it doesn't appear so based on the browsing that I've done on the software site. But they could have tweaked it and/or added another plugin for additional functionality. 

51 minutes ago, ADKGamers said:

The forum software, no. As far as that posting feature, it doesn't appear so based on the browsing that I've done on the software site. But they could have tweaked it and/or added another plugin for additional functionality. 

would you be able to PM me the name of the software? It may be useful for some future projects.

It’s not a secret that it’s Discourse. We are allowed to talk about other forum software (trust me, IPB isn’t the best due to not letting its customers know what else is out there). Discourse has some neat features but it’s not really in the same league as what Invision Community does. It’s forum centric and missing a lot of features people here take for granted. I’ve used it on the SmartThings Community and it does a few things well but it’s also a bit sparse on some of the community building things. The competition in the space is good though - hopefully the best new ideas filter through not only to Invision but to the other competitors in the space as well, as we all benefit from a better internet. 

10 hours ago, Morgin said:

It’s not a secret that it’s Discourse. We are allowed to talk about other forum software (trust me, IPB isn’t the best due to not letting its customers know what else is out there). Discourse has some neat features but it’s not really in the same league as what Invision Community does. It’s forum centric and missing a lot of features people here take for granted. I’ve used it on the SmartThings Community and it does a few things well but it’s also a bit sparse on some of the community building things. The competition in the space is good though - hopefully the best new ideas filter through not only to Invision but to the other competitors in the space as well, as we all benefit from a better internet. 

If have to choose IPS alternative, which one?

I think IPS has components that mean powerfull, ecommerce and several 3 partys apps....good....but mobile template is my point of pain, 99% of my members saying....Hey, maybe your site has powerfull functions...but not friendly....I am lost there....

mobile-devices-2x.jpg

Because today all people(not developer or some guys sit there front of big screen), normally people use cellphone....

1 hour ago, kmk said:

If have to choose IPS alternative, which one?

If I had to pick an alternative, phpbb version 2. It’s a real winner and will really make you look at Invision Community 4 in a whole new light. (But seriously, none. This is the best at the moment. It’s why I’m a customer. What exactly do you expect me to say here?)

5 minutes ago, Morgin said:

If I had to pick an alternative, phpbb version 2. It’s a real winner and will really make you look at Invision Community 4 in a whole new light. (But seriously, none. This is the best at the moment. It’s why I’m a customer. What exactly do you expect me to say here?)

Yeah I think I can understand what you mean, and me too....a customer finally, my pain is....I use laptop, big screens to work, and manage my IPS site, because I have the time to do and I have the tool to do...the problem is...my users....99% use smart phone.....so, my experience is not enough to say "my ips is beautifull", because I use desktop, my users use cellphone. Maybe some coder pointing me and say, you can use css, html and javascript....:(>_<

For me IPS is my best option, hope IPS or other developer can push IPS mobile features updated....

6 hours ago, kmk said:

Yeah I think I can understand what you mean, and me too....a customer finally, my pain is....I use laptop, big screens to work, and manage my IPS site, because I have the time to do and I have the tool to do...the problem is...my users....99% use smart phone.....so, my experience is not enough to say "my ips is beautifull", because I use desktop, my users use cellphone. Maybe some coder pointing me and say, you can use css, html and javascript....:(>_<

For me IPS is my best option, hope IPS or other developer can push IPS mobile features updated....

What version of IPB as 4.0.x should be mobile viewing automatically

e.g.

responsive.thumb.jpg.cbf04336722850fdb0a37a22f7290d4b.jpg

responsive.thumb.jpg.22be00e4938fba18d0f8f5f506469b5d.jpg

The timeline/scrollbar when viewing a topic is also pretty neat.

timeline.thumb.png.d27241f78e73b51cec74ecfa229b2e4d.png

Yeah, they have some really nice features added to their forums. Another thing I looove is the possibility to swap between staff answers in topics (and the fact that you can see in the forum list when a staff member has posted in a topic). This would be such a helpful addition to IPS, especially when you run a support forum.

Archived