previous & next button in pages database

Saurabh Jain

I agree to the feature request. Having database records that should be read and linked in order is not the case for all uses, but for A LOT of uses. Think of a Tutorial database for example where each record represents a step. How would you access the next step once you are on the record page?

• The “next unread” option that is there is of not much use in this case. It’s not about read/unread, it's about the previous/next item based on the database ordering. 
  • The prevItem/nextItem variables available in the code also don’t work since they also don’t use the database ordering. 

A related problem is the missing option to reorder uploads to a multi-upload field. 

So in both cases, with individual records or items of an upload fields, it is too tricky to set up, order and guide users through the entries. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

Think of a Tutorial database for example where each record represents a step. How would you access the next step once you are on the record page?

Ironically, that's a problem in IPS's own Guides section. I always find it a headache having to negotiate to the next step, especially because the relevant category list used to access the record collapses when it loads.

2 hours ago, Meddysong said:

Ironically, that's a problem in IPS's own Guides section. I always find it a headache having to negotiate to the next step, especially because the relevant category list used to access the record collapses when it loads.

Amen.  

@opentype Im thinking very creatively (aka making stuff up), but doesn't IP.Pages include custom fields that can be linked to each other?  Therefore, you can ... 

1. Define a custom field.  Call it chapters in a book, so you'll have Chapter 1 2 3 ... 488.  

2. Then you can relate or link one record to another.  So chapter 5 can be linked to chapters 4 and 6.  

Maybe? I feel like it's a very hacky method but also not, because you can customize the order ... 

Yeah, try doing that with 1000 records and when you add something inbetween you always have to update the neighboring records as well. 

The recording listings already have the proper order the admin wants. That just isn’t available on the record view. I know how to manually retrieve it with custom database queries, but a stock feature would make a lot of sense, either directly usable in the template or at least as variable accessible without custom database queries. 

On 2/28/2018 at 11:28 PM, Joel R said:

Amen.  

@opentype Im thinking very creatively (aka making stuff up), but doesn't IP.Pages include custom fields that can be linked to each other?  Therefore, you can ... 

1. Define a custom field.  Call it chapters in a book, so you'll have Chapter 1 2 3 ... 488.  

2. Then you can relate or link one record to another.  So chapter 5 can be linked to chapters 4 and 6.  

Maybe? I feel like it's a very hacky method but also not, because you can customize the order ... 

This looks a very good idea 

I have 488 pages

on page 1 I have created a new field URL   which will be named   next page

https://vidyasagar.guru/mookmati/mahakavya/khand-1/page-1/

I have added url

image.thumb.png.ae659b9f5fa35cfe3ffa3a962b803878.png

It is showing the complete url

I need a formatting .. Custom formatting  

please advise

11 minutes ago, opentype said:

it says {$label but it should say {$label}

Thanks   It worked... however additional characters coming in end

I have added url in field   https://vidyasagar.guru/mookmati/mahakavya/khand-1/page-2/

however it is pointing to 

https://vidyasagar.guru/mookmati/mahakavya/khand-1/page-1/%3Ca

<a href={$value}>{$label}</a>

image.png

Archived