Marketplace - force clubs compatibility for 4.3

gabs007

During last month I upgraded my main website to work with Clubs. 
I waited more than 6 months in order to give time to everybody to test their features, their widgets, their code etc.  The outcome is not what I expected since most of the widgets and applications were not ready to fully work with clubs. Not only clubs changed the user's experience on my website, also changed many things internally and sadly I had to drop a few features that were necessary. Not complaining !! These are facts. 

From all my widgets and/or applications that deal with forums, only 2 of them were ready to work with forums in clubs. Others were updated in the last minute. Others don't work or will probably never work. My experience has been bittersweet, more bitter than sweet, but I think clubs are part of the future, so I try to stay optimistic.

Why do I say this?
I would strongly suggest the IPS team to force compatibility for clubs for 4.3 widgets and applications on the marketplace. 
Optionally I would require contributors to specify if the plugins/applications are full compatible with clubs. Because in some cases, reading that it is compatible with 4.2 doesn't mean it works with clubs. It's all very misleading

I wouldn’t know how this would even be feasible. Every third-party developer needs to take care of the code compatibility with newer releases. For IPS to enforce something in this regard, they would have to permanently monitor every line of code of every third-party script and then warn or block the sale if there could be problems. That’s just not possible. You might care for clubs, but that is just one of hundreds of features. So just focussing on this one aspect alone also wouldn’t make much sense.  

1 hour ago, gabs007 said:

Why do I say this?
I would strongly suggest the IPS team to force compatibility for clubs for 4.3 widgets and applications on the marketplace. 
Optionally I would require contributors to specify if the plugins/applications are full compatible with clubs. Because in some cases, reading that it is compatible with 4.2 doesn't mean it works with clubs. It's all very misleading

What opentype said. Plus: it’s up to the dev to make their resource compatible or not with Clubs. IPS has nothing to do with it. :ermm:

You are free to hire another dev to make a similar resource, if it is vital to your community. 

You need to contact each and every developer to request Clubs compatibility.  This is not something for IPS to control, although they can suggest best practices in the Contributor Chat to integrate with clubs.  

Even for IPS functionality, they haven't fully integrated clubs.  They don't have clubs criteria in Bulk Mail, Group Promotion, etc.

Maybe "forcing" is not the right word, but "declaring" compatibility with clubs is. I had a custom field in mind ( not checking the code ) for the files.

It's a similar case if someone adds a modification for forums but it's not compatible with the "Q&A" forum type. Logic says that if that's the case, a warning should be displayed "It doesn't work with question & answer forums" because the "Q&A" forums is an functionality available to everybody. What  I try to say is that clubs present an interesting and different scenario that must be now taken into account. 

And if I add a positive addition to my first post,  declaring compatibility with clubs makes the widget or application far more appealing and interesting. :) 

Archived