ACP Session Time Outs

TDBF

Will you please introduce a method which prevents session destruction while actively working within the ACP, or give the member notice that the session is about to expire so they can save their work before getting the dreaded login screen on save.

Better still, give the admins the choice to

1. Close the session when closing the browser
  2. logging out,
  3. Or a period of (real) inactivity

I have lost count at the amount of times I have lost work in the ACP because of the session timeouts. :)

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 2:09 PM, bfarber said:

The AdminCP session timeout is based upon your PHP configuration - you can update it to extend the session timeout if you wish (using the regular session configuration options).

Would it be possible to add a last activity to the session time out at some point? This way the session doesn't expire while the ACP is in use.

Also, I don't know if this is on purpose or this is a bug. If I have a session open within my browser and I open ACP in another tab, I am presented with the login page and the other sessions are killed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, bfarber said:

Your ACP session should not time out while you are using it

I am getting 30 mins in ACP and getting logged out.

nor should opening a new tab cause you to be logged out.

You are misunderstanding me. If I open another tab in my browser and browse to the ACP, I am prompted to sign in and I am logged out of the the session.

18 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Ah, then yes. Logging in to the second tab causes the session from the first tab to be invalidated.

Is there any chance that you guys could give consideration to not invaliding the session when doing this? This is a right PITA when working with many opened tabs, and you browse to the ACP in another tab and lose sessions on all the other tabs.

• 3 years later...
On 6/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, bfarber said:

If you open a new ACP tab from an existing ACP session you can use multiple tabs no problem. If you login in a separate tab, however, any existing sessions are invalidated. This is a security precaution.

We will be moving towards cookie-based authentication at some point I expect, which would resolve your concern.

Still planing on that? xD

I hate the fact that I get logged out every 30 mins or so on ACP. I increased the timeout time in my php.ini, but it does not help for some reason.

image.thumb.png.aa91b14ddbf227a85ed61e10528e0b25.png

I want to increase it to 24h. 

Yes I know it's 42h in seconds right now but that's just for testing. I still get logged out way too often.

4 minutes ago, ZLTRGO said:

Still planing on that? xD

I hate the fact that I get logged out every 30 mins or so on ACP. I increased the timeout time in my php.ini, but it does not help for some reason.

image.thumb.png.aa91b14ddbf227a85ed61e10528e0b25.png

I want to increase it to 24h. 

Yes I know it's 42h in seconds right now but that's just for testing. I still get logged out way too often.

If you need this for development purposes you can use this constant

define( 'DEV_DISABLE_ACP_SESSION_TIMEOUT', TRUE );

That'll disable the timeout when IN_DEV.

20 hours ago, Martin A. said:

If you need this for development purposes you can use this constant

define( 'DEV_DISABLE_ACP_SESSION_TIMEOUT', TRUE );

That'll disable the timeout when IN_DEV.

Yes buts that the problem, I want to have it also in the normal mode :P not just when its "IN_DEV" mode :o