Search's main problem is results are difficult to read

SecondSight

I am inclined to agree about (existing) search.  When I'd search for a file in the Marketplace I've purchased and downloaded, in the search results (not activity streams mind you) the actual file is always at the bottom of the list - comments and reviews are at the top, which is the opposite from how it should be IMHO.

Regarding the upcoming changes to search, I admit ambivalence in my personal case: on the one hand I'm glad they're addressing it by allowing Elasticsearch; on the other hand I was hoping for a more robust native solution instead of third-partying it out.  I understand the logic behind it, but my site is small and while it could benefit greatly from Elasticsearch, there don't seem to be any free ES options out there.  And while I know I can install it on my server, right now I'm too iffy about my linux knowledge to confidently install something unless I know how to uninstall it.  But perhaps that's just on me to learn as an admin.

• 1 month later...
On 06/02/2018 at 7:47 AM, Joel R said:

In the settings for your Activity Stream, make sure you select the option: Content items only

Thanks a lot ! I made the modification in the Activity streams and now it's so much better. :)

Unfortunately, I still have the problem with Search because it doesn't have this option... And moreover, I have this problem with search :

On 06/02/2018 at 9:51 AM, liquidfractal said:

comments and reviews are at the top

To me there should not be any comments and reviews : this is too much information and you can no longer find what you are looking for and you feel puzzled etc.

I don't really care about elastic search and all other fantastic solutions : I just want a simple search which works and allows my board's members to find what they are looking for.

Archived