No option for teaser text in articles

crazzzydave

I already have ip suite for mt website, but I am creating a new website and am considering IP suite for that too. So, I have an ip demo board to see if it will meet what I'm wanting for this new site. The problem I have found is that when creating an article, there is no option for a "teaser" paragraph/text? Is this still an option in IPB 4.x? I haven't used the article feature in my other site since upgrading from 3.x to 4.x so havent noticed if there is an option there for articles. Is it missing because it's just the invision demo board?

Any help greatly appreciated!

It’s not an option included by default, since the teaser text is created automatically as html-stripped version of the body text. 

But the beauty of Pages databases is that you can add any field you want. If you want a teaser field, you can just add it through the field editor. 

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, was having a look at the fields and possibly adding one, but will I need code for the field to display instead of the current way it displays? The problem I'm finding is that if I include the articles in "Our Picks", our picks is displaying the whole article text instead of just a few lines?

9 minutes ago, opentype said:

It’s not an option included by default, since the teaser text is created automatically as html-stripped version of the body text. 

But the beauty of Pages databases is that you can add any field you want. If you want a teaser field, you can just add it through the field editor. 

You would have to edit the database templates if you want to replace the body text with the new teaser text. 

Other areas like Our Picks will always fall back to the shortened body text. But that’s a good idea in terms of consistency. If you could pass anything in there, things could break easily. 

4 minutes ago, opentype said:

I don’t have public demos, but you can check out the site of the user’s who reviewed it. Example: https://www.photozone.com

That looks awesome mate! I think you may have solved my problem. I Need to try a few other things with content to see whether it's going to be right for this new site, but I'll deffo be buying this app for it if I do go ahead and get a new IP suite. Think I might also buy it for my current site. really like the way it looks and works.

Now that I think about it: You might rather want to reverse that logic. Don’t create a teaser field! Rename the current content field as teaser field and create a new text field for the article body. That way you get what you want and your teaser text will be used everywhere (Our Picks, meta description, Facebook sharing and so on) without any template or code changes. 

On 2/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, opentype said:

Now that I think about it: You might rather want to reverse that logic. Don’t create a teaser field! Rename the current content field as teaser field and create a new text field for the article body. That way you get what you want and your teaser text will be used everywhere (Our Picks, meta description, Facebook sharing and so on) without any template or code changes. 

Hi again opentype. I purchased the supergrid and installed it successfully. I created a block for the homepage and it worked initialy, but for some reason the block won't display at all now? I did notice on the instructions it states to change the following to "Supergrid":

• Articles template > Supergrid FrontPage
  • Listing Template Group > Supergrid Listing
  • Display Template Group > Supergrid RecordDisplay
  • Category Template Group > Supergrid Categorylisting

Not sure why it stopped displaying the block?

Archived