Migrating from 3.4.6 to 4.2.7 - a dozen of problems to face

hxigor

Hello,

after a night long conversion from 3.4.2 to 4.2.7 and solving a dozen of problems I'm stuck with translations.

Problem #1:

I have no idea how to enter a translated text. I see the original text in the column English and empty space in my destination language column. And that's all, clicking the emtpy space does nothing, right click doesn't work as well. How it's supposed to work??? Downloading the language data doesn't work, I get just a funny xml file with 5 lines at all.

Problem #2:

It's not possible to change language or displaying user dropdown menu on Firefox 59.0b5, as none of the #el anchored links works. Strange is that MS Edge works flawlessly, just FF doesn't. Probably a bug with the default skin under FF?

More (anger level is rising) posts will follow as time goes by...

19 minutes ago, hxigor said:

I see the original text in the column English and empty space in my destination language column. And that's all, clicking the emtpy space does nothing, right click doesn't work as well. How it's supposed to work??? Downloading the language data doesn't work, I get just a funny xml file with 5 lines at all.

Normally you just put your text in the empty field. Saving is automatic when you leave the field. 

Translations: just type in phrase and you're done.  Once you type it in, you should see a green check mark to let you know it's been saved.  

Also, many language packs available in Marketplace.  

Conversions are a big task so take a deep breath.  

Also, make sure youre copying the default language and clicking on the globe icon to actually edit.  It looks like you're just viewing.  

I gave up translating, there's something really bad, as I even can't make a new post - the text box is missing, therefore I can't enter any text and obviously the post cannot be saved as empty posts are not allowed.

It's really WEIRD that all the textboxes are missing/not being displayed through the whole website!!! Any idea? I tried changing php from 5.6 to 7.0 and finally 7.2.1, no change. The conversion process itself from 3.4.6 to 4.2.7 was without any major error.

wtf.png

Hooray, it worked! Rebuilding cache helped and the text boxes are back. Btw I'd like to personally meet the "smart guy" who decided to move cache rebuilding to "ACP > Support > Something isn't working" menu... I doubt he was sober when he made this decision.

Problem #3:

Is there any fancy image viewer for 4.2.x? In 3.4.6 we used Highslide Lightbox, version 4.2.7 just opens the images and that's ugly.

Problem #4:

4.x is still missing watermarking uploaded attachments? The hook from 3.4 is not compatible, as expected.

17 minutes ago, hxigor said:

Hooray, it worked! Rebuilding cache helped and the text boxes are back. Btw I'd like to personally meet the "smart guy" who decided to move cache rebuilding to "ACP > Support > Something isn't working" menu... I doubt he was sober when he made this decision.

Problem #3:

Is there any fancy image viewer for 4.2.x? In 3.4.6 we used Highslide Lightbox, version 4.2.7 just opens the images and that's ugly.

Problem #4:

4.x is still missing watermarking uploaded attachments? The hook from 3.4 is not compatible, as expected.

#3 wait for 4.3 they are reworking gallery almost 100%.

#4, from all attachments or just marketplace/downloads? I think there's a setting (search your acp for watermark) 

31 minutes ago, hxigor said:

People generally are more willing to help, including the devs, when you don’t act like they are idiots. The conversion works for most people with no issues, so generally when there are issues, it’s due to  something in your server environment. (I only care because when you or others act indignant or imply that it’s clearly something Invision did wrong, it reinforces that self hosting clients aren’t worth the support effort). Make sure mod_security and cloudflare (both WAF firewall and all minify/acceleration features) are disabled during upgrades as those tend to be the biggest culprits. 

9 hours ago, hxigor said:

Considering that “something wasn’t working correctly” on your site, and choosing “something isn’t working correctly” fixed it, I’d say it actually proved itself to be suitable. 

The support function combines dozens of indvidual checks and measures run as an assistant in a logical order. If they would all be individual options you could access directly, how would you know which one to choose and in what order? Hitting random buttons and see what happens? The way it was set up in 4.x makes a lot of sense. Just because you couldn’t see that sense yet, doesn’t make the people who set it up this way drunk or idiots. 

Morgin, I beg your pardon but I really didn't call anybody an idiot!

I'm with IPB since version 2.0, I know that rebuilding the cache can cure A LOT of problem. Simply in 4.x it's not possible to find this option anymore as it got hidden. So all I've written is that I don't understand the bad decision to rename/remove "Rebuild cache" to "ACP > Support > Something isn't working"  menu which does something on the background, inlcuding cache rebuilds. That's all.

Meanwhile:

Problem #5:

There is a question mark in front of Language name shown. I expect according to source code, there should be displayed the national flag of country identifying language.

language.png.04604b7c96e25e28d4498416b43dbc25.png

Problem #6:

There's being shown a thousands separator in the posts count. In english it's ok, but in the translated language it shows a question mark. I want to get rid the thousands separator completely and forever. Where to find in ACP or anywhere else?

posts.png.3accf1bcb21d2f1584356e7853415d90.png

Thanks for the help and hints so far, I really appreciate that!

6 minutes ago, hxigor said:

So all I've written is that I don't understand the bad decision to rename/remove …

Then just write “I don’t understand the decision” (without the “bad”) or ask “why was it changed?” and we can discuss the advantages and disadvantages openly. Maybe there are good reasons for the change you just haven’t considered yet.

You insulted the developers by calling them drunk and “smart” as ironical statement (which essentially means the opposite: stupid). It’s not surprising there is some backlash for that. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

Then just write “I don’t understand the decision” (without the “bad”) or ask “why was it changed?” and we can discuss the advantages and disadvantages openly. Maybe there are good reasons for the change you just haven’t considered yet.

You mean the forum here is only for praising the developers and it's forbidden to disagree with them? Come on, we're not in China!

30 minutes ago, hxigor said:

You mean the forum here is only for praising the developers and it's forbidden to disagree with them?

No! I don’t mean that nor have I said anything even close to that. Feature changes can be discussed and yes, also criticized where necessary. And the right way to do that is with arguments, not insults. 

At this point, I would suggest you submit a ticket.  Removing the thousands separator may be something IPS can help you with.  And the national flag, if that's what it is, is something IPS should be able to at least point you in the right direction. 

You've got active support, attempt to use it.  

Though, I agree with @opentype keep the adjectives and insult to a minimum.  Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.  Discussion and debate need to be had regarding the merit of a feature to flesh out if there's possibly a better way to do it.  Not liking change isn't a valid reason btw.

I know other international clients have removed the thousands separator from numbers.  You may want to search the forums.  

Also, keep in mind that you'll probably need time to get accustomed to the new ACP.  It's close enough to v3, but different enough to make you wish you were drunk.  So don't worry, just ask your questions and we will try to help. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, hxigor said:

Problem #5:

There is a question mark in front of Language name shown. I expect according to source code, there should be displayed the national flag of country identifying language.

language.png.04604b7c96e25e28d4498416b43dbc25.png

Problem #6:

There's being shown a thousands separator in the posts count. In english it's ok, but in the translated language it shows a question mark. I want to get rid the thousands separator completely and forever. Where to find in ACP or anywhere else?

posts.png.3accf1bcb21d2f1584356e7853415d90.png

Thanks for the help and hints so far, I really appreciate that!

Old post and probably the issues were already solved, but just in case I will post for other users. I had exactly the same problems on Windows Server.

1. Missing flags in the Language menu are related to a wrong locale code entered in the langpack options. Windows supported locales are listed here. I fixed the missing English flag by entering usa instead of enu (or en). For "MyLanguage" just other appriopriate code from the linked list to be used.

2. The question mark in the numbers separator is explained in this topic.

Archived