The Banned Group in 4.2.x

PPlanet

Hi, during my upgrade of my test installation from 3.4 to 4.2, I noticed something most of you know already and that's the disappearance as such of the Banned user group. For several reasons I'd like to still have that group. So, yes, I can create a new group and then move everyone who's banned into it. However, I think this is something easier to do on 3.4 than on 4.2.

So, the question is, if I was to move all banned members into a new group before upgrading to 4.2, would this new group survive or would it also be wiped out?

In my case the Banned group is the #5. I can't remember if it was created by me or if it came by default. So, if it was a default IPS group I also wonder if there is something I could comment out in the upgrade files (like I need to do with the Topic Description too) so group #5 is not deleted and the banned users not moved to the Member one or group #3.

12 minutes ago, PPlanet said:

So, the question is, if I was to move all banned members into a new group before upgrading to 4.2, would this new group survive or would it also be wiped out?

Yes, it will survive because it isn't the 'Banned' group, which was created by default by the suite back in the past.

It's easier to do the above than it is for you fiddle with the files to avoid the deletion.....create a group, move the current members of the banned group to that group (lock the group down, obviously), and then after the upgrade they will again be back to banned as the upgrade will have done the work it is designed to do.

Archived