How to display 'Category Articles' anywhere on the site?

MMXII

What I did: I have created a database and added it to a new page. When I open that page, it shows me a simple list of the latest articles (title, teaser image, excerpt of the text, Read More link... the usual stuff). When I click on their titles, it opens the full article.

What I want to do: Now I want to display the article's 'home page' (the list of articles being displayed with the title, teaser image, excerpt of the text, Read More link) on another page, e.g. as a block above the forum's 'home page'. Unfortunately, when I open the Page Builder on the forum's 'home page', I can't select a database block in the pages tab. This seems to be only available on a new (blank?) page.

How can I display the article list on another page? Plus they should be displayed the way they are on that article's 'home page'. Will I need to use custom blocks? If I do so, I get a block that displays articles in a way similar to forum topics. That however doesn't look too welcoming. What changes are neccessary to display articles in a list (with a teaser image, an excerpt, a Read More Link...)?

1 hour ago, MMXII said:

Will I need to use custom blocks?

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, MMXII said:

If I do so, I get a block that displays articles in a way similar to forum topics. That however doesn't look too welcoming. 

I offer templates like SuperGrid which include nicely styled block templates. 

https://invisioncommunity.com/profile/374850-opentype/?do=content&type=downloads_file&change_section=1

Your templates indeed look great. Nicely done! I am afraid though that these might be a little "too much" for me/my site. Therefore I wonder what the template code for the already included article list is. Can it be copied to a custom block from somewhere within the AdminCP?

Archived