Serve scaled images / Default Profile Images

sadams101

I have two questions, and both ultimately relate to increasing site speed.

1) Serve scaled images: This is a big issue when I do speed testing on my site:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/uploads/monthly_2018_01/25659342_1970415423225776_8419745929309912543_n.jpg.7cf8f2906833dc4d31d5b69c3f045374.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 200x200 to 54x54. Serving a scaled image could save 11.7KiB (92% reduction).

Do you plan to address this, or is there already someone who has? Any ideas here?

2) I believe it was a feature in the last major release that asked to create images for users who had none, which I checked. This created ~63,000 images, with thousands of duplicates for A,B,C,etc., that cover the full alphabet, but, unfortunately, do it over and over, none of which are optimized. Each image, is of course unique per user, and has its own absolute link/url. I am curious why this could not have been handled differently...something like IF no image THEN link to ONE copy of A, or B, or C, etc., instead of making and creating thousands of duplicates?

I guess my question here is a request that you re-do this correctly, so I won't need all these duplicate images, or perhaps tell me how I might do it? I'd imagine I could create 26 letters, then do a search and replace link in the DB, but given the link syntax it doesn't look easy.

12 hours ago, sadams101 said:

I have two questions, and both ultimately relate to increasing site speed.

1) Serve scaled images: This is a big issue when I do speed testing on my site:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/uploads/monthly_2018_01/25659342_1970415423225776_8419745929309912543_n.jpg.7cf8f2906833dc4d31d5b69c3f045374.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 200x200 to 54x54. Serving a scaled image could save 11.7KiB (92% reduction).

Do you plan to address this, or is there already someone who has? Any ideas here?

2) I believe it was a feature in the last major release that asked to create images for users who had none, which I checked. This created ~63,000 images, with thousands of duplicates for A,B,C,etc., that cover the full alphabet, but, unfortunately, do it over and over, none of which are optimized. Each image, is of course unique per user, and has its own absolute link/url. I am curious why this could not have been handled differently...something like IF no image THEN link to ONE copy of A, or B, or C, etc., instead of making and creating thousands of duplicates?

I guess my question here is a request that you re-do this correctly, so I won't need all these duplicate images, or perhaps tell me how I might do it? I'd imagine I could create 26 letters, then do a search and replace link in the DB, but given the link syntax it doesn't look easy.

1) We store a full-sized copy of the uploaded image (based on settings in the AdminCP that allow you to limit the maximum size stored), and a thumbnail which is also configurable. We then display the thumbnail and link to the full size image.

2) We generate one image per user so every user can have a different color image. We are considering alternative approaches down the road, but the system is working as intended here at present.

I will check my settings. Could you please tell me the path to the full size admin image storage?

For #2 I just want to say that you should re-consider your approach on accounts that do not set an image. Clearly generating and storing over 60,000 images when the alphabet has 26 letters, and you could do exactly the same thing with 26 images, is a better approach here. Again, this image and link to it would only occur when someone doesn't upload their own image.

Archived