Micropayments to funding content

Silnei L Andrade

Hello @Matt

Have you thought about creating a coin / token for the IPB? Some may ask what this would do.

I recommend that you look at the following projects:

- Simple Token
https://simpletoken.org/
- Steem
https://steem.io/
- Enji Coin
https://enjincoin.io/

These three projects use blockchains at creating a microeconomy around virtual communities. Reviews, tutorials, support and help to users made by the community and all kinds of quality content would receive micropayments in the form of likes or votes. For this to be viable and secure it would only be possible to do this through a Blockchain. The main currency could be the "Invision Coin" that would open several sidechains for each community to create its own currency within its Invision communities. These coins would be exchanged for Invision Coin.

With the appreciation of Invision Coin you would have a Hard Cap to invest in labor and accelerate the Invison project that would gain a new breath and at the same time empower community owners who today are in a process of direct competition with Facebook and your Apps.

Take advantage of this boom in Blockchain market and create a Withepaper.

About Micropayments and NanoPayments:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/are-cryptocurrency-micropayments-the-future-of-content_us_58a1ba2de4b0e172783a9e86

http://www.futuristspeaker.com/business-trends/going-beyond-micro-payments-to-nano-payments/

https://atbcoin.com/will-blockchain-micropayments-be-private-instant-and-anonymous/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*not an attack*  ; IPS creating a X-Coin is a very niche market... their client base is small enough to not warrant a cryptocoin of any sort... if anything they'd support Bitcoin as a payment (through Stripe). But as for them creating and using their own brand of coin would be pointless for them and everyone else involved.  But I feel my first contribution says more.

Yes, it's a 9-year bubble that the world's big companies are using the technology they've created to create a new chapter in IT history. Forget Blockchain, let's keep competing with Facebook earning Google crumbs to keep our forums, this is the future!

I remember as it was people laughing and mistrusting when I started my forum in 1999. I've seen this movie before.

4 minutes ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

Yes, it's a 9-year bubble that the world's big companies are using the technology they've created to create a new chapter in IT history. Forget Blockchain, let's keep competing with Facebook earning Google crumbs to keep our forums, this is the future!

I remember as it was people laughing and mistrusting when I started my forum in 1999. I've seen this movie before.

It makes zero sense for Invision to develop its own blockchain currency. The market cap and userbase is way too small and would be overly prone to gaming. 

14 minutes ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

Its not a 9 year, because only this last year the bubble started to grow for unbelievable values. I don't see bitcoin as a coin, i see it like an asset(gold, silver etc). 

Someday it will explode, when? No one knows.

This topic is so fun and trendy.  Some serious (and mostly not serious) thoughts:

1. Communities already have a reward system.  We already have things  like reputations, awards and trophies, reactions, and best answers.  I know gamification is so passe like 2010, but let's link it all up to blockchain technology to be hip in 2018!  

2. Having a public ledger of my likes is so totally necessary.  The world needs to know it can examine all 2000 likes I've received on IPS.  I mean, my feedback to IPS might all be blissfully ignored, but what's important is that you can check my public ledger of likes! 

3. Having a private ledger of my likes is useful too.  It's called MySQL database.  But whatever, its not sexy or trendy.  

4. Would the coolness factor of IPS go up by x100 if an IPS Dev created a blockchain mod? Yes, yes it would.  IPS would gain instant street cred (or should I say, block cred).  Right now, all they do is work out and take cute family photos.  Ugh. 

I will not argue about bubble because this is what the media does 24 hours a day. Any more serious analysis will see that 90% of the talk is pure garbage!

90% of these blockchain projects will disappear is true, because most are useless projects or will be outdone by competitors. That's exactly what happened to the "internet bubble." -  After Google the Yahoo links directory has become useless!  What interests me are the 10%.

My forum was created in 1999 and continues to get 2 million page views / month but could be getting 10x more than that, and have seen a lot of forum administrators say the same here

From there to here I watched thousands of websites die, mainly those that were not useful to users. But in almost 20 years, it's the first time I see new systems that can actually destroy small communities like forums.

The consequence of this will be smaller and smaller communities until there is enough money to finance the development of these platforms. This generation of 1999 that created systems like this one are getting old. Younger users hardly know what a forum is. It's easier and faster to join a WhatApp or Telegram group. If things continue to all here are great candidates to become admins of forums for nursing homes.

You want to compete with Facebook with what they do best, which is to fill users' ego, feel free, I think it's a very unequal game.

I've seen this kind of posture in other communities and all this decadent conservatism will be useless, it will be a community of old users longing for the old technologies. For those who are not professionals, for those who do it for fun, it does, I know, just change the hobby. Close your forum and purchase collectible cards.

Invision is still standing because it came out of this ridiculous conservatism of communities like PHPBB and other similar ones that were so superior that they barely realized that their projects were old and outdated.

The point is not to be sexy or not, to be hype or not, but to make community owners have more resources, including financial resources to manage and make communities great again, otherwise it will be a lost game.

2 hours ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

I will not argue about bubble because this is what the media does 24 hours a day. Any more serious analysis will see that 90% of the talk is pure garbage!

90% of these blockchain projects will disappear is true, because most are useless projects or will be outdone by competitors. That's exactly what happened to the "internet bubble." -  After Google the Yahoo links directory has become useless!  What interests me are the 10%.

My forum was created in 1999 and continues to get 2 million page views / month but could be getting 10x more than that, and have seen a lot of forum administrators say the same here

From there to here I watched thousands of websites die, mainly those that were not useful to users. But in almost 20 years, it's the first time I see new systems that can actually destroy small communities like forums.

The consequence of this will be smaller and smaller communities until there is enough money to finance the development of these platforms. This generation of 1999 that created systems like this one are getting old. Younger users hardly know what a forum is. It's easier and faster to join a WhatApp or Telegram group. If things continue to all here are great candidates to become admins of forums for nursing homes.

You want to compete with Facebook with what they do best, which is to fill users' ego, feel free, I think it's a very unequal game.

I've seen this kind of posture in other communities and all this decadent conservatism will be useless, it will be a community of old users longing for the old technologies. For those who are not professionals, for those who do it for fun, it does, I know, just change the hobby. Close your forum and purchase collectible cards.

Invision is still standing because it came out of this ridiculous conservatism of communities like PHPBB and other similar ones that were so superior that they barely realized that their projects were old and outdated.

The point is not to be sexy or not, to be hype or not, but to make community owners have more resources, including financial resources to manage and make communities great again, otherwise it will be a lost game.

Ok, I’ll bite. How does blockchain solve the above for Invision users. 

Ok, let's go! 

My forum is specialized in Backpacking Travel.

In the early years, between 1999 and 2005, the forums were new, the internet was new. It was the era of "free internet". There was a certain innocence on our part, as well as the users. The forums served for everything. They were blogs, Instant messengers and social networks at the same time and everything was done as a hobby.

Then many forums grew too much and needed to become professional. It came from Google and Google Adsense to help monetize the content and pay the bills. With the popularization of Adsense came the blogs and some users created personal blogs with the same subject thinking that they would earn a lot of money with AdSense and this was the first loss of users of the forums, but did not create big problems.  Working on MCDonalds gives more money than ADSense to 90% of blogs, so many have been abandoned.

Blogging tools like Wordpress brought important news like tags. The forum platforms would only adopt this much later. Some forum platforms like PHPBB itself do not yet have tags, only category navigation which is a model of the "internet of the caves". 4 or 5 clicks to get the result. It's the same Yahoo! Content Organization template. Google has changed that.

From 2006 to 2012 the way people looked for information on the internet favored the forums. Google Search + Topics in the search results. It was the best period in the history of the forums. The popularization of Google caused people to start looking for information about everything and this generated reference content for the users' passion for the subjects covered. The users were still anonymous and what mattered was the exchange of information. There was a spirit of community.

All this has completely changed with the popularization of Facebook. Facebook has transformed the use of the internet. The Facebook timeline put the user in a position of passivity as in TV times and did worse.

Facebook has created its empire inflating people's ego, but it has brought many interesting things as well. But it completely changed the way people use the internet.

Besides the forum, I have the Facebook Forum page (740k followers)  and a group of the same subject on facebook (411k members) The page we use to promote the content of the forum and our blog.  Both have more users than the forum itself (380k users), but content quality of facebook Group is depressing.

The damage that continued use of these platforms has made to users is a Path without back. People today enter the forum because they have a lot of relevant content that Facebook will never have and this is what still keeps the forums standing.

However, this mode of internet use that mixes timelines and mobile Instant messengers is dropping the number of Google searches year after year. People have the false impression that all reference knowledge will be within reach of a WhatsApp or facebook message. '

Facebook content and all these platforms created by the company is treated to be disposable. This is how they treat the content posted there.

How to keep generating quality content in this scenario?

First we have to understand that the time of the internet romanticism is over. There is a demon out there who inflates people's ego and even charges people to create content for it. Content that will disappear in weeks.

People will only change this if they can devote to what they like. If a user on my platform can gain something that will help him finish his passion instead of inflating his ego, this will encourages him continue to create more quality content. Micropayments can help with this. If votes and likes, instead of just inflating the ego, help fund the hobby of users, we will become independent. We will be funded by ourselves.

The only technology I know that can do this safely is blockchain, because it's decentralized. It would function as an Invision app. I'm not proposing to run the forum system in Blockchain, but run the reaction system or votes separately as a micropayment plugin to fund quality content. That would be the purpose.

1 hour ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

Ok, let's go! 

In the early years, between 1999 and 2005, the forums were new, the internet was new. It was the era of "free internet". There was a certain innocence on our part, as well as the users. The forums served for everything. They were blogs, Instant messengers and social networks at the same time and everything was done as a hobby.

Then many forums grew too much and needed to become professional. It came from Google and Google Adsense to help monetize the content and pay the bills. With the popularization of Adsense came the blogs and some users created personal blogs with the same subject thinking that they would earn a lot of money with AdSense and this was the first loss of users of the forums, but did not create big problems.  Working on MCDonalds gives more money than ADSense to 90% of blogs, so many have been abandoned.

Blogging tools like Wordpress brought important news like tags. The forum platforms would only adopt this much later. Some forum platforms like PHPBB itself do not yet have tags, only category navigation which is a model of the "internet of the caves". 4 or 5 clicks to get the result. It's the same Yahoo! Content Organization template. Google has changed that.

From 2006 to 2012 the way people looked for information on the internet favored the forums. Google Search + Topics in the search results. It was the best period in the history of the forums. The popularization of Google caused people to start looking for information about everything and this generated reference content for the users' passion for the subjects covered. The users were still anonymous and what mattered was the exchange of information. There was a spirit of community.

All this has completely changed with the popularization of Facebook. Facebook has transformed the use of the internet. The Facebook timeline put the user in a position of passivity as in TV times and did worse.

Facebook has created its empire inflating people's ego, but it has brought many interesting things as well. But it completely changed the way people use the internet.

Besides the forum, I have the Facebook Forum page (740k followers)  and a group of the same subject on facebook (411k members) The page we use to promote the content of the forum and our blog.  Both have more users than the forum itself (380k users), but content quality of facebook Group is depressing.

The damage that continued use of these platforms has made to users is a Path without back. People today enter the forum because they have a lot of relevant content that Facebook will never have and this is what still keeps the forums standing.

However, this mode of internet use that mixes timelines and mobile Instant messengers is dropping the number of Google searches year after year. People have the false impression that all reference knowledge will be within reach of a WhatsApp or facebook message. '

Facebook content and all these platforms created by the company is treated to be disposable. This is how they treat the content posted there.

First we have to understand that the time of the internet romanticism is over. There is a demon out there who inflates people's ego and even charges people to create content for it. Content that will disappear in weeks.

People will only change this if they can devote to what they like. If a user on my platform can gain something that will help him finish his passion instead of inflating his ego, this will encourages him continue to create more quality content. Micropayments can help with this. If votes and likes, instead of just inflating the ego, help fund the hobby of users, we will become independent. We will be funded by ourselves.

The only technology I know that can do this safely is blockchain, because it's decentralized. It would function as an Invision app. I'm not proposing to run the forum system in Blockchain, but run the reaction system or votes separately as a micropayment plugin to fund quality content. That would be the purpose.

1.  I'm liking this post because you gave an amazing history of Forums on the Interwebz.  

2.  What does this have to do with Blockchain technology?

If you want to encourage high-quality content, how is that different in concept from using 'reward apps' like Trophies & Medals by @Fosters or Members Shop by @TheJackal84?  You have presented no compelling reason to adopt blockchain technology.  I understand the end goal about rewarding users.  I do not understand the use of blockchain.  

If you create a virtual coin only for your community using MYSQL, that currency will only exist in your community database. It will be the virtual coin of your community. That is not what the above proposal is about. The coin has to be of all the communities with the IPB and why not, of all forum and blog platforms. The owner of the forum would only need to install a plugin or application that would install the wallet in the user profile and the micropayment system by reviews and votes. How to do this without using a blockchain? Without the blockchain this coin could not be traded on the exchanges, it could not be traded with other coins. People could buy that coin for investment.

And why someone would buy a coin of that for investment?  Because this coin will fund content in the same way as the advertising system like Adsense does.

Banner spaces could be paid with that coin. Products could be made with this coin in the shops of the forums, that is, a multitude of possibilities.

Of the 3 platforms that most resemble this is Simple Token and is an open source project. It connects to the blockchain of Ethereum and serves as an intermediary. It allows communities to create their own currency based on their system. These coins are exchanged for the Simple Token that is traded in the exchanges.

- Simple Token

• Management
3 hours ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

Ok, let's go! 

Sidestepping the cryptocurrency bit, this is pretty accurate.

FWIW, I think cryptocurrency is the future, but the massively inflated value it currently has is just waiting to be corrected.

3 hours ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

If you create a virtual coin only for your community using MYSQL, that currency will only exist in your community database. It will be the virtual coin of your community. That is not what the above proposal is about. The coin has to be of all the communities with the IPB and why not, of all forum and blog platforms. The owner of the forum would only need to install a plugin or application that would install the wallet in the user profile and the micropayment system by reviews and votes. How to do this without using a blockchain? Without the blockchain this coin could not be traded on the exchanges, it could not be traded with other coins. People could buy that coin for investment.

And why someone would buy a coin of that for investment?  Because this coin will fund content in the same way as the advertising system like Adsense does.

Banner spaces could be paid with that coin. Products could be made with this coin in the shops of the forums, that is, a multitude of possibilities.

Of the 3 platforms that most resemble this is Simple Token and is an open source project. It connects to the blockchain of Ethereum and serves as an intermediary. It allows communities to create their own currency based on their system. These coins are exchanged for the Simple Token that is traded in the exchanges.

- Simple Token

If i understand correctly, there will be one coin for all Invision Communities. That coin will have a value and people will gain coins by receiving likes, creating content etc etc.

With that in mind, what stops me from creating a Invision Forum just with the purpose of smashing it with content spams and create fake users that will like the content thousands of times?

Now lets go for a real community and not a fake one, what stops my members to start liking content of each others(even if its bad content), because they will receive a coin that have money value?

People will not pay for spam content, for the same reason they do not throw money in the trash. 

Coins are not free lunch. Take time to read the Whitepaper of the Steem project. They are the users will buy and sell them. Users will pay and earn by generating a microeconomy around these communities.

Do you find it absurd for people to pay for content? People do it all the time.

They pay content to watch the garbage of cable TV, pay to receive trash from mobile operators, even pay to create content free of charge to Mark Zuckerberg, because they can not also pay and receive for such good community content?

This was not possible until now, as there was no technology available for this purpose.

No one would give a like in some content if it cost 1 dollar, it is very expensive. It is also not possible to insert a 1 cent coin on the computer screen, nor can it be divided into 10 fractions. This can only be done safely with the blockchain. The name of this is micropayment and it is very likely that this will be one of the most used ways to finance all types of content on the internet very soon.

The first credits in coins would be in the register, in the complement of the register, etc. The first 10 messages, the first 100 messages would earn those credits that would be spent within the community on likes, votes and reviews. Suddenly a user makes a fantastic post and receives 1,000 votes, which are equivalent to 10 dollars in the market. Or 100 votes that equals 10 dollars, everything will depend on the price of this coin and fractionation that the community does.

This is an alternative to the current model, we are centralized today in the hands of only 2 companies. One of them, pay MC Donalds salary for you work 24/7 , the other eats all of your Big Mac's and  steal and deceive your users in exchange for inflating your ego and the ego of your community users.

We are suffocated, we need to oxygenate this market to have the breath and money to improve the technology of our communities. Development costs dear and Open Source only works well when there is a hype around a community. When developers grow and realize they need to pay the bills, moods change and people realize that free lunch was illusion.

22 minutes ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

People will not pay for spam content, for the same reason they do not throw money in the trash.

Oh, so in reality what will happen is that people will pay to have good content? Like Reddit?

I don't think that will work(maybe in very big boards).

You can take Reddit in example, sometimes you see someone that received a Gold in a topic with 1000 replies and 50k upvotes.

The Reedit Gold only works on Reedit, it is not an asset whose ballast is the good content of various CMS platforms. Maybe such a blockchain is too big for Invision alone, ok!  All forum platforms are experiencing the same wear and tear, no?

This blockchain needs run outside the forum core as a plugin, this plugin can be developed for several platforms. If you use as a model what the guys at Simple Token are doing for example, that would be just like that. There is one main coin and the system will allow each website / forum to create its own coin.

Ethereum, for example, is not only a cryptocurrecy, it's a blockchain created to run Dapps, there are several decentralized applications running on the Ethereum block. That's more or less how they would work within each community separately.

I am going to go out on a limb here and oppose the majority and say I like the idea. I really like it. I commend @Silnei L Andrade for doing some real outside the box thinking. Silnei seems like an entrepreneur which is a personality trait that I admire in others.  All flattery aside, this could be a real point of separation for this community.  We are talking next level stuff here. Something that none of the competition is doing.  I also think there are a lot of valid concerns and push backs presented here but as a general rule I try not to shoot things down simply because they are not perfect.  I truly believe in the ingenuity of the IPB team. If they wanted this to fly they could work out all the kinks.

The main thing I am liking about this is that Currency could work between ALL IPB forums.  Could create a sense of loyalty to this product which is potentially a great boon for business. All invision power board sites can work the same as different territories with a country.  Can I get my IPB miner running now? :)

Archived