Different home page for guests?

SJ77

I have a home page that I made with pages app. It uses IPB wrapper and mostly functions as a collection of site updates.

I have a more pretty home page that is a totally different page designed for selling sign ups to guests.

Is there a way that same link can be different page for logged in vs logged out?

• Home = page1 (logged in)
  • Home = page2 (logged out)

Is this possible?

Thank you :)

No, you can’t have a different homepage based on the member group. But using the permission settings for the blocks you put on that page, you can still basically get the same result. Just set the guest content to “Guests only” and the member stuff to “not visible to guests”. 

9 hours ago, opentype said:

No, you can’t have a different homepage based on the member group. But using the permission settings for the blocks you put on that page, you can still basically get the same result. Just set the guest content to “Guests only” and the member stuff to “not visible to guests”. 

Problem is my layout is totally different for guest page

1 hour ago, superj707 said:

Problem is my layout is totally different for guest page

Try this -> place this code at the beginning of your home page

{{if !member.member_id}}
	<META http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;  url=https://yoursite/homepage guests">
{{endif}}

33 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Try this -> place this code at the beginning of your home page

{{if !member.member_id}}
	<META http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;  url=https://yoursite/homepage guests">
{{endif}}

That’s awesome! Will it confuse google bots and rank spiders?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with @opentype, use blocks based on permission levels as long as your header and footer are the same you can quite easily achieve this but you will have to manually create your pages without page builder if you want to have different column layouts for each. I can tell you that I originally tried to do the same and wanted one page completely different for guests and one page for members and it never really worked for me. Might be a good feature request. I'm not a huge fan of http redirects unless absolutely no other way. I have one page I use as my index and just work it from there by adding html, block tags, etc., to that page.

{{if !member.member_id}}

Guest page content, blocks, etc

{{endif}}

{{if member.member_id}}

Member page content, blocks, etc

{{endif}}

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

I agree with @opentype, use blocks based on permission levels as long as your header and footer are the same you can quite easily achieve this but you will have to manually create your pages without page builder if you want to have different column layouts for each. I can tell you that I originally tried to do the same and wanted one page completely different for guests and one page for members and it never really worked for me. Might be a good feature request. I'm not a huge fan of http redirects unless absolutely no other way. I have one page I use as my index and just work it from there by adding html, block tags, etc., to that page.

{{if !member.member_id}}

Guest page content, blocks, etc

{{endif}}

{{if member.member_id}}

Member page content, blocks, etc

{{endif}}

I am trying to do exactly this but the issue is that GUEST part needs single column and MEMBER part needs 2 columns.

It's causing this to be near impossible to pull off.

27 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I am trying to do exactly this but the issue is that GUEST part needs single column and MEMBER part needs 2 columns.

It's causing this to be near impossible to pull off.

Couldn't you just put your 1 column layout html within the guest tags and your 2 column html layout within your member tags? You could also incorporate bootstrap if you add the js and css into your page templates and include with your new page. There's some coding and conflict checks involved but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to accomplish something like what you are looking for.

34 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

Couldn't you just put your 1 column layout html within the guest tags and your 2 column html layout within your member tags?

Yep, that's your solution. You've already got the code to separate content out by whether the user is logged in or not. So create single-column content in one, and two-column content in the other.

2 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Yep, that's your solution. You've already got the code to separate content out by whether the user is logged in or not. So create single-column content in one, and two-column content in the other.

this might be a dumb question but where to a find the basic ipb framework for 1 column and 2 column layouts?

5 minutes ago, superj707 said:

this might be a dumb question but where to a find the basic ipb framework for 1 column and 2 column layouts?

There are alternatives, such as including a CSS file for Bootstrap etc and coding to use its classes.

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

Depends. It is a Pages page or what app is used for the homepage?

On 1/7/2018 at 1:28 AM, superj707 said:

I have a home page that I made with pages app.

:)

The Page Builder columns are defined here:

ACP → Pages → Templates → Page Templates → Page Builder

There you find the stock versions with 1 to 3 columns and you can create your own, customize it and assign it to your homepage. 

But keep in mind that this only affects the area of the 1 to 3 center columns in the main content area. You can’t make any changes there to the global layout, like putting something above the sidebar for example. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

You can’t make any changes there to the global layout, like putting something above the sidebar for example. 

Are you saying the redbox in the image below won't happen without global layout edits?

new block.JPG

7 minutes ago, superj707 said:

Are you saying the redbox in the image below won't happen without global layout edits?

new block.JPG

In this task you want, it is best to use one such idea
- Create a copy of your theme
- In this copy theme, only available to guests

- remove Guest access to your main theme

- In this copy theme use the logo you want for an image in this area.
- In the  code homepage , use the Meta redirection I wrote above to Guest homepage.

Archived