IPS 4.3 - Commerce

Aaron M

Good to see many changes coming in 4.3 for Commerce! Will the expansion/consolidation for product custom fields make it in? Right now, customer custom fields, product custom fields, support ticket custom fields, profile custom fields and downloads "extra" fields all have varying degrees of customization, and unfortunately the one we need the most (product custom fields) lacks the majority of this customization that is available to the others. One example is the inability to provide a regex for fields to match, which means customers can enter all kinds of information instead of a restricted choice. Here's a comparison:

Support - Custom Fields

Product Custom Fields^

Product - Custom Fields

Support Custom Fields^

TL;DR, if we could get customizable field attributes like "minimum length" and "regular expression" for product custom fields, that'd be great.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:32 AM, Sean Haddad said:

The Product/Ticket system relationship is barely enough for proper use cases.  Products need to also be used as a field in tickets.  The ticket system really needs an overhaul.

Can you go into further detail? 

I just set up an IP.Commerce Support system on a website that I'm helping on last weekend, and I thought it was rather robust ... Custom filtering of tickets, departments, escalation actions, auto responses, custom fields. 

23 hours ago, Joel R said:

Can you go into further detail? 

I just set up an IP.Commerce Support system on a website that I'm helping on last weekend, and I thought it was rather robust ... Custom filtering of tickets, departments, escalation actions, auto responses, custom fields. 

While not the direct respondent; I've noticed a few pain points in general after extensive use with Commerce in IPS4.x. I've passed the majority to Mark W so I have good faith they'll be resolved at some point (he did mention that they were all in the pipeline as "to fix/do", just no specific release), but a few of these are:

• The list of staff is not alphabetical when assigning to tickets as it separates those who are added from a group permission, and those who are individually added
  • No ability to search for a staff member when assigning tickets
  • Similarly, the list of countries in the Statistics -> Markets filter is obscene, if I want to just see how many we had from say, Belgium, you expect me to uncheck every single country to do so? This isn't so much an issue for the "map" view, but on the others it is.
  • Filters are also an issue for the "Sales" statistics when having a large number of products. If just one product needs tracking, they all have to be manually unchecked.
  • The "Transactions" tab defaults to "Held for approval" even when there are non held - logically speaking, this would be better to just go straight to the "All" tab.
  • When users select a product and opt for a quantity greater than 1, there should be an option to submit different custom field entries for each product. This is especially useful with digital products as opposed to physical ones and could be a "per-product" setting to enable/disable.
  • Why are there no values for how many people are active subscribers for products which renew? You can view each user with the magnifying glass on the product page, but it does not give you a value. Without using SQL, we have to estimate based on the number of full pages * 25 (25 entries per page)
  • No waiting list for sold-out items. Would be nice to have a per-product setting to sent out an email/notification to those who opt-in
  • More anti fraud validation for PayPal based on customer age and other criteria - this will hopefully be added soon, given Mark's reply when I first brought these concerns to light in October:

We already have a lot of anti-fraud rule improvements planned (I think they were all your suggestions actually!) so I'll see if I can get that added to the list.

• Automatic suspension of renewals which customers have/are charging back/disputing
  • An "intangible goods"/"digital goods" option where enabling this will cause stock to automatically replenish when a user no longer continues their subscription
  • Better error handling/workarounds for billing agreements that become desynchronized (although this isn't terribly easy to "solve")
  • MaxMind have the ability to track device usage, and IPS already detects logins from devices; combining this data when at checkout should prevent more fraudulent purchases from occurring

There are some other points which aren't at the forefront of my mind right now, but this should cover a decent amount.

Archived